New World

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
How is healing in this game? Is it fun?
i was wondering that, also how hard is it to do pvp quest solo as a healer probably impossible unless there is some type of build for dmg but then you are useless for actual content that needs a healer, does this game follow the rule of the holy trinity?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They dont really punish you for respecing your attributes. So if you wanted to have a high str build while you level, then respec for 75 Azoth (which is pennies in comparison to what invasions payout) to heal, then thats a strong option. You also get so much faction currency, that having a second set of gear isnt out of the question. You end up maxed in faction currency far before you hit the third tier if you're doing them regularly. The only down side of that is that you're going to have to hit up whichever settlement has your gear stored to swap out, cause keeping it on you in this game isnt ideal. You could do it, especially when you have all your bag slots with epic variations. But as you level, not so much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our healer has been complaining a lot - it's not smooth and he would like more QoL
Tell them not use whatever lock on heals the game provides, I hear that is very wonky. The best healer I know never uses that and just plots down heals where he thinks ppl will be... does very well.

• 1Like

Wage

Molten Core Raider
i was wondering that, also how hard is it to do pvp quest solo as a healer probably impossible unless there is some type of build for dmg but then you are useless for actual content that needs a healer, does this game follow the rule of the holy trinity?
You can gem your weapons to scale off any stat you want, which is great for healers. So you can throw a gem in your 2 handed axe to scale off focus (healing stat) for damage instead of strength and go kill shit about as well as anyone.

• 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
On the stat stuff, there are gems you can socket that change the attribute usage/distribution. So like if you are going full focus, you can gem up a sword/shield set to use a % of focus instead of strength, making it more viable to use alternate weapons. I believe they also scale with tier of gem, so like at max tier you could have 50% of your focus being utilized as strength by the sword/board.
Guy in my old folks home guild was basically running as a holy paladin; full spec into focus and then swapping to sword/shield for doing dps when healing wasn't needed. It seemed like the intended style.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
When do you start to see sockets and gems. I only played to 10 so I don't burn out before release

Daidraco

You can craft gems pretty early. But finding or crafting a piece of gear with a slot is a different story. I didn’t see any other way than to pray to RNGesus with combines using Azoth and that was still a super low probability. I’m hoping that there is an easier way for a slot since I like the pure strength heavy armor over the tanky boi faction armor.

Luckily the factions gear and weapons come with a slot. I know the weapons is empty. But the armor gem slot isn’t. Not sure if you can plop another gem on top of the existing ones, but I’m assuming you can. I just never tried.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Been reading and watched this video that a Paladin type build is very strong.

a random video of 3 v 1

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been reading and watched this video that a Paladin type build is very strong.

That's pretty much what I'd been doing in beta, although mostly half assed because I'm trying to not really play.

Did heavy armor light staff plus axe. Will probably do hatchet instead. Don't see any reason to go even further defensive with sword/shield.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When do you start to see sockets and gems. I only played to 10 so I don't burn out before release
All Faction gear comes with a socket, and there is no reason NOT to be using Faction gear til max level, though you might get better gear towards the end of each tier of Faction stuff.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

That build looks "too good" from an outside perspective. Makes me feel like its going to go through some changes.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That build looks "too good" from an outside perspective. Makes me feel like its going to go through some changes.
It's really that healing is too good.

But fixing that would be a massive rebalance.

In my limited use, I got swarmed by about 7 equal levels mobs. Almost survived, but the cast of the ground heal can be interrupted, and they can knock you out of it. With some playing around with it though, I would've made it (I think I killed half of em).

There was a war a few days ago I watched. JoshOG just went full tank/hp and with a good healer behind him was basically indestructible. It was actually kind of bad to watch because he'd just jump into the middle of 20 dudes and eat all their damage as they got picked off by the rest of his squad.

• 1Truth!

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I had this shit happen a few times when I tried the beta. But shit like this is infinitely better than killing that buffalo, being 1/2 health and here comes Lv60 Johhny PVP to wreck your shit and tea bag your ass. If Im going to PVP it will be on my terms in an environment that is semi fair and semi balanced.

Hate on them all you want, this is why blizzards creation of the battlegrounds was so great for these games. It let you choose when you wanted to PVP in the different modes they had. You actually had goals and scoring within the game type, and the interactions were more balanced than encounters out in the wild speaking numbers wise. Of course you always had the gear balance issues and class balance issues, but thats a different discussion.
..and to that end, Blizzards battleground changes that limited the exp gain boost and lvl capped you proved that no one wanted to pop on those terms too.

I heard so much bitching about the 19, 29, 39 etc bracket players claiming they only twinked for fun and to make shit " balanced ". As soon as blizzard put in the change that kept all the exp locked players playing in the same bracket, like magic...not a single mofo qued up for them and those battlegrounds were DOA.

Daidraco

In my limited use, I got swarmed by about 7 equal levels mobs. Almost survived, but the cast of the ground heal can be interrupted, and they can knock you out of it. With some playing around with it though, I would've made it (I think I killed half of em).

There was a war a few days ago I watched. JoshOG just went full tank/hp and with a good healer behind him was basically indestructible. It was actually kind of bad to watch because he'd just jump into the middle of 20 dudes and eat all their damage as they got picked off by the rest of his squad.
Makes me curious how that's going to work in the PVE they have planned. But they'll probably have healing debuffs/powerful bleeds or similar.

But your story also brings up a problem I have with PVP right now. People have no idea if that beneficial spell is working for you or not. While watching that video of the paladin video in PVP - there are probably 10 beacons/shields laying around and you have no idea if theyre for you or not. If they could recolor beneficial ground spells like Beacon that arent working in favor of you, that would be a big step towards getting more information to the player. Granted, if the player isnt a lemming - they'll realize pretty quickly that its the tanks and retarget the healer. Not like they cant run away from a lower DPS tank.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I mean that's basically been the case for MMO pvp for a while. A dps + a dedicated healer(especially on coms) can be brutal against random pugs, as they just ignore the healer and die 1 by 1 to the dps. I remember early WoW BG videos were all over for this. 1 guy against the world, but just had dedicated healers in back people ignored.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It wasn't random pugs, it was a bunch of other streamers. If you wanna see the whole thing, it was his broadcast from Monday (a little over an hour in).

Edit: Deleted video because it keeps autoplaying.

Last edited:

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I mean that's basically been the case for MMO pvp for a while. A dps + a dedicated healer(especially on coms) can be brutal against random pugs, as they just ignore the healer and die 1 by 1 to the dps. I remember early WoW BG videos were all over for this. 1 guy against the world, but just had dedicated healers in back people ignored.

217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg

This comic is from *2007*. Will no one ever learn? Target healers FIRST.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently NW has a gear system kinda like Destiny where the game keeps track of your highest possible gear score and drops loot accordingly. So whenever you get a piece of gear with a higher GS than the piece you're wearing, equip it once for a "snapshot" then go back to using what you were. This will effect the drops you get going forward.