New World

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they were looking at potential e-sport money or something, and got blinded to basic design.

The only world this makes sense in is that they were looking at global leaderboards and wanted unique guilds/players to have on it. The server squish stuff only makes sense if they expect this to become a single region game, which is just assuming it is a failure right out the gate. And I don't think Amazon aims for failure.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they were looking at potential e-sport money or something, and got blinded to basic design.

The only world this makes sense in is that they were looking at global leaderboards and wanted unique guilds/players to have on it. The server squish stuff only makes sense if they expect this to become a single region game, which is just assuming it is a failure right out the gate. And I don't think Amazon aims for failure.
And yet, all of their actions so far seem to almost guarantee failure.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
And yet, all of their actions so far seem to almost guarantee failure.
I don't know man, seems like a lot of super nerd worries tbh. if the game is fun it's fun. don't have shitty crashing/down servers, don't explode the economy which means don't have rampant bugs/duping, don't have perpetually unbalanced pops, and continue creating content. they will def fuck up one of these though

I'm sure there will be a large contingent that plays for 100-200hrs+ then says it isn't any good though but that's what MMOs are about

EDIT: i'll be fair in saying that the name stuff is stupid. but I don't think as impactful at least for me as an individual, I understand others though. especially the company names

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know man, seems like a lot of super nerd worries tbh. if the game is fun it's fun. don't have shitty crashing/down servers, don't explode the economy which means don't have rampant bugs/duping, don't have perpetually unbalanced pops, and continue creating content. they will def fuck up one of these though

I'm sure there will be a large contingent that plays for 100-200hrs+ then says it isn't any good though but that's what MMOs are about
Which is also my opinion. Who gives a fk that you cant have your super ultra special snowflake name? The queues are going to be insane on EU servers because of this naming shit and by the time people reserve their special generic ass name, its most likely going to be taken anyways. This forum isnt as bad, but f'n reddit is going ape shit over naming policies. Granted this is short sighted as fuck, and you can hope that they change something - but it means fk all to me personally. Please for the love of God have developed the tools necessary to develop content in a timely manner and dont fall into systemlands trend.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imo the only people that could honestly care about it are streamers/Youtubers, who have their names tied to their "Brand". But even then, just add a letter, special character, or like the real dorks who put "TV" next to their names and move on. The popular ones were already going to deal with people trying to take their names and sell it to them.

Still a weird thing for a MMO to have that is a staggered launch. Mainly because you are just going to get people swamping the EU servers for no other reason then to save a name. Basically creating the possibility of issues with login and such for no reason.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think the launch thing is... interesting? Rather than have the entire world slam your servers at once it's staggered. Would be fine if the naming shit didn't exist, but again if you're a diva about your EXACT name, tough noogies.

The single name thing makes me think they're prepping for massive server die-off OR they're prepping for a completely cross-server implication of some sort. Most likely just some MMO newbie mistake though, but not end of the world. The staggered thing would've definitely been a good idea if the naming thing also didn't exist. But again, as people have said, people who are on early and bored will still spam an EU server just to dick around til their region unlocks and whatnot so the relief in congestion is probably limited. It very well may have been an attempt at being 'international' by not launching at like 5pm PST or EST and fucking over everyone not NA based since it's Amazon and they want to see which market sticks and it may not actually be the NA market.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still find it funny everyone gets 8am, then aus is at 9pm their time. Seems like the worst time to launch a game. Almost late night on a weekday early in the week.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Imo the only people that could honestly care about it are streamers/Youtubers, who have their names tied to their "Brand". But even then, just add a letter, special character, or like the real dorks who put "TV" next to their names and move on. The popular ones were already going to deal with people trying to take their names and sell it to them.

Still a weird thing for a MMO to have that is a staggered launch. Mainly because you are just going to get people swamping the EU servers for no other reason then to save a name. Basically creating the possibility of issues with login and such for no reason.
Eh personally I really hate not getting my name in games, and my name is fairly common so this kind of move is really shit. If you give me the ability to put spaces in names, it's all good, but most games still are made with 1990s limitations so you can only put underscores or periods at best, if you can use anything at all.

I wish these fucks(all of them, not just New World) would get on with the times and either let you use any names(with uniques added modifiers after that aren't visible unless sending tells and such, similar to the Battle.Net system where you're like Pyros#1234 but your name just shows as Pyros) or let you put any spaces in names so you can use "family" names and just make it consistent across characters and such. Reminds me of fucking Black Desert where you have a Family name that's unique for your whole account, but then your characters still have to have unique names that aren't on the server, like somehow having the same char name with a different family name is impossible, fucking idiots.

So yeah this kind of restriction suck dicks imo, and it's especially bad if you make it global across servers.

• 1Solidarity

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Eh personally I really hate not getting my name in games, and my name is fairly common so this kind of move is really shit. If you give me the ability to put spaces in names, it's all good, but most games still are made with 1990s limitations so you can only put underscores or periods at best, if you can use anything at all.

I wish these fucks(all of them, not just New World) would get on with the times and either let you use any names(with uniques added modifiers after that aren't visible unless sending tells and such, similar to the Battle.Net system where you're like Pyros#1234 but your name just shows as Pyros) or let you put any spaces in names so you can use "family" names and just make it consistent across characters and such. Reminds me of fucking Black Desert where you have a Family name that's unique for your whole account, but then your characters still have to have unique names that aren't on the server, like somehow having the same char name with a different family name is impossible, fucking idiots.

So yeah this kind of restriction suck dicks imo, and it's especially bad if you make it global across servers.

Exactly what I thought while reading about this shit. More amateur hour from AGS. But, as you said, not just them. It's fucking retarded that after over 2 decades there isn't a simple fucking standard for something so basic.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah bungie did the same shit with Destiny and cross play, all names have a random number behind them. Seems like a solid choice. If you wanna be named Bob, so be it, lol.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Imagine being an adult and caring what your mmo character is. 99 percent of communication is gonna be done on discord. You’ll probably roll 5 characters anyways. Just hit random 5 times until you get a name with something at the front that’s easy to use for shorthand and get on with life. If you park a name you are a massive loser. I’ve never used the same name twice - and I’ve had three names on this forum.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
The fact you can have spaces and shit makes it way less of an issue. Go from Ragnar to Ragnar Lothac to Ragnar Lothacson or some dumb shit. I can't even use my name in EQ because Xev is a server. Now THAT is super dumb.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just do like the cool kids do and tack on a bunch if xxxx on the shit. XxxxX69ganjahXxxxX

And if that does not work just tack on an extra x.

• 1Worf

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Imagine being an adult and caring what your mmo character is. 99 percent of communication is gonna be done on discord. You’ll probably roll 5 characters anyways. Just hit random 5 times until you get a name with something at the front that’s easy to use for shorthand and get on with life. If you park a name you are a massive loser. I’ve never used the same name twice - and I’ve had three names on this forum.

I agree with char names, however, company names is a pretty big deal.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Never had a fucking issue getting my name in MMOs. What a fuckign brony talking here

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
On one hand Amazon is dumb, on the other hand the attachment you weirdos have to your fake pixel name is pretty sad.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
On one hand Amazon is dumb, on the other hand the attachment you weirdos have to your fake pixel name is pretty sad.
Have some compassion, man. People build online identities and we all have these name-spaces we covet. Just seems weird to have it be so globally strained.

I have a list of names and surely I will get one of them but this seems like an odd move on Amazon's part; it makes me wonder about how their DBs are structured for this to be a requirement globally. Seems like it would make it hard to do a lot of things, assuming its one giant DB but these days I am further from any one single application as we move into the AWS/Azure space in my real job so I don't know if there is some kind of truncating/separation for various table spaces they can do in the cloud and still have unique names be a requirement.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Have some compassion, man. People build online identities and we all have these name-spaces we covet.
Oh bullshit. I built a whole persona around Olscratch for years and the only hangup with switching to a new name was fucking up the login for 2 or 3 days. Most people spend 45 seconds picking a name and then think they're attached to it right up until they spend 45 seconds picking a new one.

• 1Picard

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Oh bullshit. I built a whole persona around Olscratch for years and the only hangup with switching to a new name was fucking up the login for 2 or 3 days. Most people spend 45 seconds picking a name and then think they're attached to it right up until they spend 45 seconds picking a new one.
Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

happy sad lol GIF by One Chicago