New World

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Also, for all the talk on visuals, I'm equally impressed with the sound. I can hear someone mining and pinpoint where/how far. Trees falling in front of me sounds realistic. 10/10 !

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So basically the game is fun as hell and the base is there just not finished in the upper levels. I hope they finish that shit up quick because once the mass exodus happens and bad word of mouth, this game will never recover, or at least the chances of it recovering are slim. We all know how mmorpg players are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Crafting is the best gear in the game. End of list. Allowing everyone to get there in 3 days is a very shit plan, so it takes ~a month of casual play to get there if you focus one tradecraft or if you feed via guildmates with 5-10 people, you can do it in a few days. The thing is the best items are BoP so you have to make your own gear. It's a way of adding time to the game and it may in fact be too long for most people, but it's way better than everyone having 200 x 15 the first week.
Wait, what? The 600 item score crafted stuff is BoP? That's a strange decision if so.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The first 10 days or so of this game was insanely fun and I'll remember it forever as one of my best MMO launches, despite all the queue shit. But I don't know how much life the game has left in it with how slow AGS is already. This is what I said a million times, not nearly enough content. I was hoping they'd be dropping stuff like crazy, and yet we haven't even heard any balance changes, not even at launch. Light staff is fucked etc.

But hey, for $40, what a fucking steal. And I could definitely see myself quitting this game, coming back a year or two later and starting from scratch and enjoying it again.

Still playing for now, but I can feel the life force seeping away.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Also, it's been really nice having named mobs that drop specific loot that you can camp again. I missed that in MMOs. I hope people discover more of them. Camping my legendary earring was really rewarding. If only the game had 15 more zones, some raids, rigorous balance updates and a few other things, it would have been the end.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
That and the lower tier (ie iron) are driving me insane too.

One way to mitigate the reagent issue, is to use a faction item converter. That way if you need sand paper, but have like 200 sand flux instead, you can change it. SO I hear, I haven't tried it yet lol.

Oh those converters work on stacks, too? It just said "an item" I believe, so I assumed it was a single item.

Also, for all the talk on visuals, I'm equally impressed with the sound. I can hear someone mining and pinpoint where/how far. Trees falling in front of me sounds realistic. 10/10 !

Yeah, probably the best sound design I've heard in a game. Maybe Battlefield Bad Company 2 was better, but this game uses positional audio in a much more functional way.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah people will talk about the sound design for literally decades. It will be the thing people remember about this game. Raised the bar by about a stratosphere. Although ironically, the soundtrack is not memorable at all. I mean, it's not bad, but I certainly can't just start humming any of the music. I'll remember the sound of iron breaking in the distance for the rest of my days though.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Sorry, can you explain how that works?
So, there are bonuses from getting certain skills up such as smelting, that give you HIGHER yield when smelting. So if you have 100+ skill (might be starting point) you start getting a bonus from it so you yield 10%+ extra mats on conversion. So 400 iron ore gives you something like 110 ingots instead of 100 ingots. Then, you can also get bonuses from a certain trait, for smelting it's called "Smelter's Accumulation" which gives up to 10-15% BONUS yield. So you're at something like 125% yield. THEN if you use higher level reagents such as shelldust flux, there's a bonus built in there as well. So you end up getting something like a 165% yield. So instead of 100 ingots, you're getting 165 ingots. I'm not sure the max scaling on it, but I've gotten as much as something like 45% bonus with 0 trait and my smelting/woodworking is like 35. The higher tier reagents have a bonus built in, but there's LESS of a bonus on higher TIER combines. So for instance green flux gives like 25%+ to steel combines for me, but on starmetal it gives maybe 10%. I'm not sure if it ends up mathing equivalent iron if you save big flux for low end getting a HUGE bonus yield, or save it for high end like Orichalcum where every extra ingot is saving you 400 iron ore.

Basically:

Higher level conversion mats: bigger yield bonus
Higher level skill: bigger bonus
Lower level mats (steel vs starmetal): higher bonus from conversion mats

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
As stated a few posts back, the reagent conversion items from the Faction vendor are VERY, VERY helpful, especially if you only do a few skills. Solvent and Crossweave out the ass? NOPE! It's all flux now. It's a 20:15 ratio which isn't bad, BUT it's something like 4gold per combine so it can definitely be costly and doing it for profit off the AH is basically not possible. It actually makes me think they knew what they were doing.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Resource refining is painful enough without the goofy catalysts. I want to run around collecting logs, not opening chests. Also half the food mats come out of chests instead of harvest nodes.

Crafting is the best gear in the game. End of list. Allowing everyone to get there in 3 days is a very shit plan, so it takes ~a month of casual play to get there if you focus one tradecraft or if you feed via guildmates with 5-10 people, you can do it in a few days. The thing is the best items are BoP so you have to make your own gear. It's a way of adding time to the game and it may in fact be too long for most people, but it's way better than everyone having 200 x 15 the first week.
If you don't pvp, there isn't going to be enough 'other' things to do while you painfully slog out tradeskills as an artificial time extender. The population is going to stagnate quickly and if you care about the health of the game you'd be concerned. On /vg/ people are already showing servers where factions create mega-cabals that force the other factions to capitulate to them and then hike up all of the taxes to extreme. Then there is the automated banning nonsense where people are just mass reporting their enemies prior to a war, troons baiting people for bans in chat, etc.

If the game is already slowing down for the pvers, it'll only get worse next month (if any pvers are still playing then). There are better ways than forcing everyone to be an omni-crafter then throwing a bunch of grind on top of it. They could have just limited all tradeskills to 100 except for 2-3 that you specialize in or something. I don't know, I'm not a game developer but there has to be something better than this.

I like the game so far and it's worth $40, but it's clear that the vision/systems are muddy after their switch from pure forced pvp into whatever it is now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don’t use my good catalysts or w/e on tier 1 stuff like iron. That’s a waste in my mind. Sometimes on steel? Definitely on star metal and above. You’re saving yourself an actual fuck ton of harvesting time doing that.

The thing that’s funny as hell to me about fishing is that the “trash” you get from fishing like anchors, boots and oars - they salvage into iron ingots and such. Coming out of a 20 minute fishing trip with 6-7 anchors (~3x6=18 iron ingots) makes me happy as hell! Haha! Thinking back to other mmo fishing and the trash was just that, trash. Fishing in any game is boring to me, but they did it the best in this game I think.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
You can also get a fishing quest where you have to fish up an anchor and it ups your chance to fish an anchor by a LOT. So you just never turn the quest in, fish 1000 anchors, get 1000 ingots.

But honestly hitting good iron spots (there are dozens) will net you 1400 ore in 30 minutes faster than fishing will.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
OK, I still like the game but let me say this: This is some of the worst quest design in any MMO I have ever played. Visiting the same area to get different drops from the same mobs? Check. Visiting three different similarly named locations for the Azoth staff, all within a few meters of each other? Check! Has to be done in the exact right order, forget if you have just done all the same stuff. Check. I finally run the Amirine Excavation, only to find out the mob I was looking for to make the head piece for the staff of Ra isn't there, nope, I didn't read the quest text closely enough: He is in the Amirine Temple, Not Amirine Excavation, its another location just over the way, the number of which is three; three is the number of locations, not two nor four. But guess where the next piece is, though? In the Excavation, so back down to looking for a group I went. Then back to the fisherman, then back to yet another temple, then back to the fisherman again. I think in toto this quest line, which in fairness is central to the main story, is 5 or 6 trips back from various locations to the fisherman, who isn't quite what he seems. Probably more, so much they put a fast travel shrine right outside the man's fishing pier and house. After this the story seems to move from his house, so you maybe don't visit him at THIS location any more. Yet.

Another quest giver, in Brightwood, IIRC, was trying to back in the good graces of the Angry Earth, sent me 4 times into Angry Earth locations, back and forth, half a zone trek away in Brightwood, when the destinations were all right near to each other, to kill mobs I had already been killing for drops (one quest has you chopping young trees in the amazing cave but the spawn rate forces multiple fights with mobs you have to battle to get into the cave). These caves or caverns or whatever the hell they were finally calling them were all fantastic, beautiful, well designed locations, to kill mobs for a faction with which he was supposedly trying to mend fences. Then at the end, he offers me an elite quest to kill the head dude he had a falling out with. Also in an amazing locale with the giant Azoth Oak that has been seen the trailer. Double-U-TEE-EFF. Stop making me run back and forth. you miserable fucks.

In Cutlass Keys, a man has lost track of his wife: Well, the investigation will only take 4 trips to 2 locations, but hey, TWO locations this time. They added a second because this part of the map must not get used very much.

A Brightwood artist, Master Wolcott, wants to paint waterfalls? Guess how many. Three sets of three. Where are they? Who gives a shit, cut your ear off and run, you miserable piece of shit, I am the one giving the XP.

When people ask why Companies are exclusively running town boards, you will know why.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah quests might suck but you can make everyone look at your house when it looks like this. I am close to taking it but the #1 nerd looks he bought multiple store bundles of that pirate set <_<

This is a product of housing shit selling for next to nothing so may as well pack it in my abode!

jenga.jpg

Cybsled

Ya, the questing making you run back and forth constantly makes the post-ARR grind where Minfilia had you do that shit 100x look like a vacation. That Brightwood angry earth one is a good example. I think it was probably intentional - kind of like when game companies make a MMO with shit content and make you grind so it makes you take longer to realize there isn't any content. A lot of things in this game artificially extend content life by making it tedious.

The wars are at least fun. I've become part of the regular cannon squad, which suits me fine. Cannon duty (ships or tanks) was the only PVP I enjoyed in Archeage. I've gotten a better feel for the drop and lead times. I had a 28:1:216 (K : D : A) today in one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Yeah quests might suck but you can make everyone look at your house when it looks like this. I am close to taking it but the #1 nerd looks he bought multiple store bundles of that pirate set <_<

This is a product of housing shit selling for next to nothing so may as well pack it in my abode!

View attachment 376639
I haven’t looked close at housing yet. All I know Im going to care about is storage and trophies. For you to keep your house front and center for everyone to see is by grinding out the town board every 3 days. I don’t even see the point.

I’m in no rush to slam out upwards of 50,000 gold for three houses. Much less 10k for the first one.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I haven’t looked close at housing yet. All I know Im going to care about is storage and trophies. For you to keep your house front and center for everyone to see is by grinding out the town board every 3 days. I don’t even see the point.

I’m in no rush to slam out upwards of 50,000 gold for three houses. Much less 10k for the first one.

I have 2 houses currently w/ storage chests but no trophies since the ones I can make/being listed are minuscule buffs. The teleports are super convenient and you get discount resets for the recall to houses. So it's like spend <40 azoth to reset and recall from anywhere or spend 370 something to teleport w/ full bags and only from town to town or tp point so the value is there if you want to get around quickly which I do for all the trade skill crap. I can keep myself bound at an inn somewhere and the two houses to just ping pong around the world as much as I want without worrying about azoth at all. I bought the two 10k (one for 5k w/ first home bonus) though and I still have like 40-50k (trade skilling and flipping buy orders are $$$). I don't really care about the bigger ones and I think I'm only 30+ standing in everfall. It'll be a cold day in hell before I play home decorator with any seriousness in a video game mcmansion though =O

Didn't know you had to grind town boards? I have like 30k points in one house just from stuffing garbage in it that I've made and I'm like top 5 in that specific home. The #1 has like 55-60k but has multiple of the pirate house bundles which seem to reward a lot of points.

Daidraco

It was a thread on Reddit with some guy upset his pretty little house dropped down from spot one with. House that had barely anything in it. Then some guy pointed out the tool tip on it that said, 2? Maybe 3? Days from total house value and town board missions.

What you’re saying about the travel costs would be a boon. Since a couple trips of full inventory with the bags I got would zero out my Azoth in a couple trips. So there is definitely value there if you’re playing the market boards, for sure.

As far as house sizes, you’re just suppose to be able to fit more trophies or storage containers in the lvl 30 size. So I just don’t want to put money into one I’ll end up selling. The grind to get house taxes down to to nothing is going to be a long road though. With 300 being the max level, I’m not even sure what the max is for total decrease in house taxes?

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Sunday afternoon I followed the Daidraco method while watching football for my last 1.5 levels. Lost a bit of money and azoth in my impatience, but it provided a nice boost to some tradeskills and Windsward rep along the way.

• 2Like