New World

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Like I said back when we were debating this game being responsible for the Lost Ark delay, AGS had something here if they targeted a niche audience. Keep the game as a crafting/building heavy, "community" focused, PvP game - think Conan Exiles, but a larger/grander scale.

Instead, they shoehorned in a bunch of themepark shit to attempt to capture a market they were never really designed around. So, now you have a game that is just sort of listless, not knowing what type of "role" it wants to fulfill.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much everyone that played Closed Beta to a good stopping point (30+) had the consensus that the game is worth $40 bucks as it sits, but need 2-3 patches and a content update for it to be "solid." I mean, who really skips a game that a shit ton of people are playing 100+ hours that costs $40, too? Thats the same price as a WoW expansion that has 1/5 the content at launch that even more people bought? I dont think anyone is under the illusion that the questing is good. But I find it hard to take people serious when they did Dailies in WoW for months on end in BFA/SL's. Not pointing fingers at anyone, but I just really think a lot of people are done with the common MMO tropes that are probably never going to go away.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Why do you need something to play for years? Can't you enjoy a fucking game for a month or two? I swear you fucking mmo clowns need this game to like be your life for the next 10 yrs or else its dogshit.

IMO best mmorpg to come out since 2004.

I think a lot of us have been chasing something like EverQuest ever since WoW put an end to its prominence. Something with an interesting world that isn't on rails, lots of mystery and discovery, real risk and reward, a sense of community and interdependence, etc.

I've got a feeling that such a game just isn't possible with the modern Internet. Everything is mined, leaked, documented, streamed, theory-crafted, min-maxxed, and tossed to the wayside within months of launch.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think a lot of us have been chasing something like EverQuest ever since WoW put an end to its prominence. Something with an interesting world that isn't on rails, lots of mystery and discovery, real risk and reward, a sense of community and interdependence, etc.

I've got a feeling that such a game just isn't possible with the modern Internet. Everything is mined, leaked, documented, streamed, theory-crafted, min-maxxed, and tossed to the wayside within months of launch.
"Discovery" is lost, IMO. That's a box that can never be closed thanks to things like Twitch, YouTube, "modern" internet, etc.

But, games can still see TONS of success with risk v. reward, difficulty (Dark Souls is popular for a reason and it's mostly the dopamine from overcoming difficult tasks), interdependence, community, etc. "Modern" MMOs do everything they can to destroy community building with things like chat bans, filters, dungeon lobbies/queues, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Discovery is most def not lost on this game. For one its not data mined, and most plebs are still int heir 30s so the entire end game is all discovery. in the 50s there is barely any people in the zones yet. Based on ly steam achievements thing, only 4.1% ever got to 50 yet.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Discovery is most def not lost on this game. For one its not data mined, and most plebs are still int heir 30s so the entire end game is all discovery. in the 50s there is barely any people in the zones yet. Based on ly steam achievements thing, only 4.1% ever got to 50 yet.

The problem is that the entire game feels basically the same (at least the six zones or so I've traveled to as of level 38). The only cool discovery I've had so far is that rapid-spawning boar camp. Brought back memories of EQ camps.

Then again, I haven't been doing much PvP, so I assume I'm missing out on a lot of what this game has to offer.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
This game has probably the same amount or more content that WoW did at release. It also takes about the same amount of time and effort to hit 60 in both, but people forget that shit.

There's stuff to do, every day, at 60 but it requires a group or several groups so for 80% of the players it may not as well not exist. The "dailies" are literally like 24 hour chests you farm without having some NPC assign you the quest to do them each time. A lot of these you won't even know about unless you got curious and explored some place off the beaten path.

People who complain about 6 buttons shouldn't be playing this game. They want to DDR like FF14 through 13 abilities for MAXXXX dps in every fight whereas in this game its all about what you CAN do at the time, then synergizing your debuffs or cooldown reduction while figuring out whether to light combo or heavy attack. So many people just hit abilities then do nothing while waiting for CDs to be up. If you're doing it right, you have choices of abilities and what to use, not just standing there waiting for something to hit 0.0 seconds.

This game does need content, and I'm fairly sure they're sitting on some, but in the end the game is for grinders. Most people are too casual to survive the high watermark loot system and may not have people to play with to do TRUE endgame which can be immensely challenging. I doubt a single person here has beaten an Invasion of a settlement. Probably less than 5 have done an Outpost Rush, but I'm sure if it wasn't req 60 most people would have tried.

The game has content, but it actually IS open world exploration to do some of it and most people just don't do that. They want Frederick Pirateson in town to give them 10 quests each day for X days to do until they can earn their carrot.

• 5Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Most people complaining about dungeons/late pve content are people who've maybe done Amrine only. The existing content is solid and challenging there is just not enough of it.
Have done all but Genesis and arenas, and yeah, the game lacks end game pve. And the keys being so ridiculous to craft is stupid. Eventually people will run out of free quest keys.

• 1Dislike

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Also my god the invasions are dumb with how overtuned the Spriggan is, but they're still super fun and the rewards are good.

Xerge

<Donor>
Have done all but Genesis and arenas, and yeah, the game lacks end game pve. And the keys being so ridiculous to craft is stupid. Eventually people will run out of free quest keys.
So you don't enjoy your dick/clit sucked on, alrighty then.

• 1Truth!

Xerge

<Donor>
you've done everything but the legendary dungeons, the actual endgame, and you still say its lacking? I mean, why even... You could say the entire game is lacking but that's an obvious loaded statement.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
166 hours played, so far. Level 48(49) and I am just finishing Weaver's Fen. I've spent most of my time just exploring, fishing, crafting and doing the occasional loop of town board, faction quests and every 10 levels or so I'll catch up on the MSQ. I'm at The Depths now. There is so much to do in this game if you just decide to do it and not wait for the game to tell you to.

1063730_20211011152919_1.png

1063730_20211011152937_1.png

1063730_20211011152948_1.png

1063730_20211011153034_1.png

Still have a ton of shit to do. Definitely worth the $40.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

Like I said back when we were debating this game being responsible for the Lost Ark delay, AGS had something here if they targeted a niche audience. Keep the game as a crafting/building heavy, "community" focused, PvP game - think Conan Exiles, but a larger/grander scale.

This game would have tanked if they kept the "full loot PVP" idea they originally had. Just look in the game world - the vast majority of people arent flagged for PVP. Why the fuck would I want to lose hours of work to some shitlord using a busted ass weapon?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This game would have tanked if they kept the "full loot PVP" idea they originally had. Just look in the game world - the vast majority of people arent flagged for PVP. Why the fuck would I want to lose hours of work to some shitlord using a busted ass weapon?
Depends on how you do it. Albion Online has carved out a nice little niche for themselves and they are a "full loot" MMORPG.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
166 hours played, so far. Level 48(49) and I am just finishing Weaver's Fen. I've spent most of my time just exploring, fishing, crafting and doing the occasional loop of town board, faction quests and every 10 levels or so I'll catch up on the MSQ. I'm at The Depths now. There is so much to do in this game if you just decide to do it and not wait for the game to tell you to.

View attachment 376736
View attachment 376735
View attachment 376734
View attachment 376737

What did you do to level arcana? Was there some good path or was it just spamming weak potions?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
What did you do to level arcana? Was there some good path or was it just spamming weak potions?
Focused on doing health potions and converting motes, etc to the next tier(you get a ton of motes from the mining things). I don't go out of my way to gather but I will zig-zag on my way to places to grab stuff I see. I've completely abandoned the tracking for just eyeballing the stuff. You can see it well before it show's on tracking. I tend to travel along ridges and waterways when possible too. Also, I run pretty much 100% with some kind of proficiency potion. Increases quantity on all resources gathered.

• 2Like

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

If by so much to do before 60 you mean just gathering/crafting, I guess. I wish I could find hitting trees and rocks fun, but it's just boring as fuck to me.

And unfortunately not really giving a shit about gathering/crafting makes the game slow down considerably about halfway through.