New World

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
From that video, it looks like they're doing serverside hit detection for melee and maybe were not before?

While playing, I very impressed with their hit detection combined with the network performance with large scale battles.

Two problem with melee detection are:

1. Small difference in latency mean a hit or not.

2. To do it accurately, you actually have to play the character animation and check if the weapon collides. This is prohibitively expensive on the server.

If they did it client side, they would be able to avoid that but have to deal with cheating.

I imagine they moved it serverside and then did a box/sphere scene query in front of the player. Less accurate and with lag, could produce the artifacts in the video seeing.

It turns out they were not gods - they just didn't prevent cheating.

Not sure exactly. The part at 45 seconds where he is CLEARLY hitting the dummy and yet it isn't registering is pretty strange so it seems it's beyond just moving the calls to server side.

Octave

Trakanon Raider
Not sure exactly. The part at 45 seconds where he is CLEARLY hitting the dummy and yet it isn't registering is pretty strange so it seems it's beyond just moving the calls to server side.
Putting animation-base collision checks on the server but, with load, letting some animation collision check fall through the cracks could create something like this. Maybe they'll need to switch to a scene query method to really make it work.

I'm just speculating.

Unreal engine has similar issues with animation based collision checks a headless server.

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
Putting animation-base collision checks on the server but, with load, letting some animation collision check fall through the cracks could create something like this. Maybe they'll need to switch to a scene query method to really make it work.

I'm just speculating.

Unreal engine has similar issues with animation based collision checks a headless server.
shut up nerd

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
From that video, it looks like they're doing serverside hit detection for melee and maybe were not before?

While playing, I very impressed with their hit detection combined with the network performance with large scale battles.

What? Even after they limited the battles to what, 50vs50, it was absolute garbage. And people figured out pretty quickly how to choke the server so bad they were invulnerable on point, with 10 seconds+ of lag. Or are you talking more recently?

So many people quit that the reddit / official forums are full of the die hard fans that will never leave, so I can't even be entertained by people complaining. I mean there's the occasional bug still (people figured out how to teleport 50 meters using void gauntlet animation cancel for example), but nothing game breaking unfortunately :*(

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Two problem with melee detection are:

1. Small difference in latency mean a hit or not.

2. To do it accurately, you actually have to play the character animation and check if the weapon collides. This is prohibitively expensive on the server.

If they did it client side, they would be able to avoid that but have to deal with cheating.

I imagine they moved it serverside and then did a box/sphere scene query in front of the player. Less accurate and with lag, could produce the artifacts in the video seeing.

It turns out they were not gods - they just didn't prevent cheating.

Something had to be done. the ranged aimbot cheats were out of control.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The meat and potatoes of this game is top notch. The game engine performance overall, combat, animations and hit detection are all pretty impressive imo. If the game continues to be polished it can be something very fun. Im level 54 i bailed from Vingolf months ago and started over on Valhalla and was best choice i ever made. The server is healthy and competetive.

The key to having fun in this game is utilizing the weapon system. A lot of people pick 2 weapons and just stick to those, obsessed with being the best of the best with that specific weapon set, but that is a mistake. Trying and leveling other weapons is fun and the low cost of respec makes experimenting possible. I have lvl 20 life staff so I can just reset attributes and be a healer if needed. But also lvl 20 spear and bow, and now lvl 18 Hatchet. Im going to level great axe next. I can fill many roles and adjust my playstyle and abilities on the fly.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The meat and potatoes of this game is top notch. The game engine performance overall, combat, animations and hit detection are all pretty impressive imo. If the game continues to be polished it can be something very fun. Im level 54 i bailed from Vingolf months ago and started over on Valhalla and was best choice i ever made. The server is healthy and competetive.

The key to having fun in this game is utilizing the weapon system. A lot of people pick 2 weapons and just stick to those, obsessed with being the best of the best with that specific weapon set, but that is a mistake. Trying and leveling other weapons is fun and the low cost of respec makes experimenting possible. I have lvl 20 life staff so I can just reset attributes and be a healer if needed. But also lvl 20 spear and bow, and now lvl 18 Hatchet. Im going to level great axe next. I can fill many roles and adjust my playstyle and abilities on the fly.
Vingolf was fun the first few weeks to a month, then as it faded.. ya, the game just became shitty. Everything you wanted to do needed other people and it killed off a lot of enjoyment people derived from the game when they couldnt find people. This game, like any other MMO is going to be fun just out of the social interaction of having other people. I'm happy that you found a place where you get enjoyment out of the game, though. I can log into New World on Calnogor and do just about anything I want to do, and thats great. I should have moved much earlier, and on that same note, the merges should have happened much earlier.

As for your weapon comment - most weapons are generally fun. Some weapons have a completely different playstyle in PVP and PVE. All content is able to be done with all weapons, currently. When PVE content difficulty ramps up, supposedly with the coming mutations, then power gamer tanks and healers are going to have to revert back to those specialty weapons (S&S / Life Staff) in order to complete those dungeons. Even if a player specifically designs his gear with perks that allow you to tank with Spear for example, they'll still be subpar to a tank that has his perks aligned towards S&S. If we've learned anything from WoW's Mythic dungeons - its that people favor classes that are the most efficient. Even if that margin is less than 2%.

What's coming down the pipe line doesnt address this lack of choice, and the devs have no weapons planned that will compete with the meta. The shield being the main culprit for tanking (more armor, more stats, blocks melee and spell/ranged). Life staff being the ultimate healer weapon, with the closest second option being a below subpar healing Void Gauntlet. Solution? Separate the shield from the short sword and redesign them to both have separate weapon trees. Shield having three different tree lines within it for Round, Kite, and Tower (which there is almost zero reason to not use anything other than Tower shield when tanking in PVE as it stands now). Each tree affecting the accompanying weapon in specific ways with defensive or offensive options. For healer, they could keep it simple and just add perks to the Void gauntlet that substantially increase its healing effects - or, plan for the future and add a third tree in for all magic based weapons. Fire Staff using strong HoTs, Ice Gauntlet using Bubbles that can over heal, etc.

Looking at the entire game, it suffers from the devs working with what they have on the table NOW and very little thought into the future. Or at least this is how I feel its being worked on. Any direction they've went so far has been reactionary, and it shows. The carrot on the stick for end game is all but impossible to reach in how its currently setup. Even if a player spent mountains of gold at the trade market, they still will not ever get every slot BIS for their build. What makes that worse is that you have multiple builds for different things. To exacerbate that issue, the mutations are going to require even more sets of gear for those unique situations that those mutations will present. As it stands now, named drops from Lazarus for example, have a drop rate of less than 1% closer to 0.3%. Compare that to a Raid Boss in classic WoW which is on average, 15%. Mythic WoW dungeons have a higher percentage. Luck doesnt apply to dungeons, so there is no avenue to improve your chances. The current model they have for this game does not respect player time in the slightest and is probably the biggest factor in crushing my desire to play the game further.

Never mind the litany of all the quality of life things that they need to improve upon, and if they dont address them soon - the trajectory the game is going will only make issues worse. With this many different armor sets and weapons with no easy function to sort, much less equip them quickly, is terrible. Yet they have shit in the wings that will increase the need for even more sets of gear. Shit is just fucking insane.

How I really feel? I was overly optimistic about this game shaping up within 6 months of release. Ive seen for myself every facet of this game with my own eyes and the systems it has in detail. The overhauls this game needs makes the change from HWM to Expertise seem like a blip on the radar and most of them are so hard coded into the game that they'll likely never be changed. Player collision in PVE, Im looking at you. It does well for anyone that has no goals within the game and just wants to casually fuck around doing mind numbing shit, and Ill be honest.. sometimes thats all I want. But ffs, this game has a longggg ways to go before player counts actually increase, rather than decrease.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hit 590 expertise on last piece last night.

I keep hitting points where I get so frustrated with the orb system that I swear I won’t play again. But then, I just keep playing and find myself enjoying it again. Game is fucking weird for me that way. I have never been the mmo player that just played a game after it was effectively “dead,” so it’s a first time for me. Because let’s be real, the game is dead. A handful of servers are active and fun, but no one new is coming in, like Daidraco said.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im not even touching this game until they get rid of the orb bullshit, gert rid of 90% of the servers, and finally add some more fucking content. And I considered myself the top 1%er.

Xerge

<Donor>
The mutations system should be interesting next month - they claim to want us as players repeating this system multiple times a day, if we want. I really hope next patch adjusts the weapon swap they mentioned they were addressing, as well. Not sure how I feel about the release of the blunderbuss. Like Draco mentioned it's not solving any of the tank/healer issues. Although who knows, maybe the BB will have taunt abilities.

What I do know is I can log into NW and not crash, unlike EFT this week. ffs

• 1Worf

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Told you so.

Sucks because I ended up loving the game, but it was obvious a year before release that the game was doomed. Still hope I'm wrong and it pulls a miracle, but they are way too slow and the code seems fundamentally fucked with how many bugs every single patch creates.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, it can still be fixed up and added to. The real problem is getting the people back. Since most people that quit mmos never really come back in any meaningful numbers. That is not to say they could not attact new people and get some returns, but never to the launch numbers they saw.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I need the mutations or new dungeons or something to hit very soon. I’m gear score 598 with “god rolls” in nearly every slot, so I need something to fill the void.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I've been done with this game, it's honestly just way too flawed on so many different levels and I have absolutely zero confidence in the devs. It literally has the worst end game loop of any MMO I've ever played and they do nothing but fuck up combat with every patch. The game is simply doomed.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I need the mutations or new dungeons or something to hit very soon. I’m gear score 598 with “god rolls” in nearly every slot, so I need something to fill the void.

I have to admit, that's super impressive, no sarcasm. How did you up your gearscore primarily?

stolen fairly:

qajvraxqqo981.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've been done with this game, it's honestly just way too flawed on so many different levels and I have absolutely zero confidence in the devs. It literally has the worst end game loop of any MMO I've ever played and they do nothing but fuck up combat with every patch. The game is simply doomed.
Yeah me too and the longer I dont play it the more I dont miss it, lol. In fact if it wasnt for the peeps I met and hanged with I would have prob quit a long while ago than I did quit.

They also fucked themselves with no alts as well. Thats a massive crowd of people which love to play the alt games.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I started playing EQ TLP after I stopped logging in. Effectively trading a weed addiction for full on heroin.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users