New York City

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
LOL I know, its just amusing - I am excited to meet all her people - Asian + Brooklyn accents are hilarious.

Should be fun - and I am glad the kids will get to meet their great grandfather :)

Our kids are the only ones of this generation - even if you extend to cousins there are none that had kids- of my mother in law and her two brothers only she had my wife... so its kind of strange that they are the last of them...
Oh wait... Are you actually gonna git some good dim sum then?

They'll probably take you to east harbor on 8th Ave in bklyn. Bklyn 8ave is mini Chinatown, w/o the annoying gwei lo tourists.

If you just want a good selection of asian food, the food court under Macy's in flushing is the best. This isn't a sucky food court, it's the best asain food court around.

But... If your going in March, try to find a jewy neighborhood, and walk around at 4:30am, it's the best smell.

Obviously I mean the early bagel frying... Not the non deodorant wearing orthodox motherfuckers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oh wait... Are you actually gonna git some good dim sum then?

They'll probably take you to east harbor on 8th Ave in bklyn. Bklyn 8ave is mini Chinatown, w/o the annoying gwei lo tourists.

If you just want a good selection of asian food, the food court under Macy's in flushing is the best. This isn't a sucky food court, it's the best asain food court around.

But... If your going in March, try to find a jewy neighborhood, and walk around at 4:30am, it's the best smell.

Obviously I mean the early bagel frying... Not the non deodorant wearing orthodox motherfuckers.
East harbor is great. Quiet a cultural experience and the food was great. I wish I didn't have to get up early on a Sunday though. And speaking Chinese would help avoid eating some really weird shit too.

Siliconemelons

So the wife absolutely will no Air B&B it, she is afraid she is going to get knocked out and they will rape me (or something like that)

So, I need good hotels, Manhattan as that's were we will be doing our sight seeing etc. she says we are not spending the entire time with the fam (Brooklyn) and wants to be close to "stuff"

hell I would spend all the time there with the kin folk. But I mean they have jobs and such and are most likely not taking off because we are there - so we will see them on the weekend and then do tourist stuff during the week.

Is city pass the way to go? or are there better ways to get good prices on tickets etc. to see the statue of liberty, 911 memorial, museum of nat history.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That is an extremely irrational fear. Would make for a slam dunk case though considering you are in communication with the owner and Airbnb knows exactly who they are.

Airbnb is possibly the greatest thing to happen in the travel industry since the introduction of the airplane.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So the wife absolutely will no Air B&B it, she is afraid she is going to get knocked out and they will rape me (or something like that)

So, I need good hotels, Manhattan as that's were we will be doing our sight seeing etc. she says we are not spending the entire time with the fam (Brooklyn) and wants to be close to "stuff"

hell I would spend all the time there with the kin folk. But I mean they have jobs and such and are most likely not taking off because we are there - so we will see them on the weekend and then do tourist stuff during the week.

Is city pass the way to go? or are there better ways to get good prices on tickets etc. to see the statue of liberty, 911 memorial, museum of nat history.

What sort of budget?

Was there over July 4th and the New York Edition was a great hotel, with an almost perfect midtown location (Times Square, Soho, West Village, even financial district all within relatively close proximity). The hotel is very clean and is in the old MetLife clock tower across from the flatiron building and Madison Square Park.

Siliconemelons

I am cheap as hell, so the cheaper the better - but its hard as I want 1 room for 4, queen/queen - king/queen with sofa bed - 2 adults 2 little kids.

edit- checked rates for my dates - 350$ish per night, outch... but it looks like I am not going to get anything in the 100's anywho - lol

This is where I am cheap and just do not like to accept reality in these cases :)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Roger, my buddy is actually there right now and staying at The Time, right off of times square and is only paying $150 a night or something. He texted me and said it was a pretty good place for the money (all hotels in Manhattan are easily $100 overpriced).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

heres a secret, city pass is a rip off in ny, cuz almost all museums are free (or pay what you want) cuz they're all tax payer funded.
(when you see admission cost, you'll see in parentesis suggested donation)

here's a list of all the free museums, some like the guggenheim only have free saturdays, but yea the rest, free everyday
Free Museum Days or Pay What You Wish | NYC-ARTS

so once you break it down, citypass is
Adult $122
Youth $98

The Empire State Building

911 and liberty are 25each and empire state is 35, the rest are free, it's the biggest rip off. (unless you really want the extra special shows from the museums, which is not included in free general admission)

if you're really afraid of air bnb doors or hotel doors, get this add a lock, makes it so that the door is now only one way access, even with a key.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watching Home Alone 2 with the family and there's a scene with Kevin taking in the view of New York atop The world trade center. My little guy gasps with amazement "woah I want to go up there!"

#Feels

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It hits me every time I see an older film with a NY skyline shot.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sending the wife to Brooklyn as a anniversary present to get a tattoo from Manu Tattoo. Good food at cheap prices is where we usually love to eat, she loves Sushi, falafel/mediterranean, and Korean but open to all ideas. She will be there for about 4 days. Here is tat shop, and she is staying at a BnB essentially down the street. Google Maps

All travel will be via Uber/trains/subways, it is her first visit so any tips are appreciated.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sending the wife to Brooklyn as a anniversary present to get a tattoo from Manu Tattoo. Good food at cheap prices is where we usually love to eat, she loves Sushi, falafel/mediterranean, and Korean but open to all ideas. She will be there for about 4 days. Here is tat shop, and she is staying at a BnB essentially down the street. Google Maps

All travel will be via Uber/trains/subways, it is her first visit so any tips are appreciated.
Check out Korea Town then, it's 1 block from the empire State building, good soon du boo would be bcd tofu house, get off at 34th St, Macy's and herald square is also there.

She's basically staying near Williamsburg, it's where all the gay hippies are now if you want expensive dumb good food.

She coming in jfk or Newark?

Don't throw away the MetroCard, keep it to refill, otherwise it's a buck per new card, fares are 2.75

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Check out Korea Town then, it's 1 block from the empire State building, good soon du boo would be bcd tofu house, get off at 34th St, Macy's and herald square is also there.

She's basically staying near Williamsburg, it's where all the gay hippies are now if you want expensive dumb good food.

She coming in jfk or Newark?

Don't throw away the MetroCard, keep it to refill, otherwise it's a buck per new card, fares are 2.75

Newark.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is she gonna take a taxi from Newark to bklyn? Or take the path? Cuz (from memory) she has to get to c terminal, take the airtram to the path, buy a ticket to NY PENN STATION (NOT nj Penn station, NY PENN station is after nj Penn station) , get up and out of Penn station, take the n train, then transfer to the l train. Probably 20$

Uber/taxi from ewr(Newark) would be about 90$

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Well if she is solo I wasn't gonna recommend some of the places in BedStuy. There is a great little market at City Point off the B and Q underneath the Alamo Drafthouse. Can get a wide variety of foods at cheap for new york prices. City Point Brooklyn | Home that area is pretty safe.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well if she is solo I wasn't gonna recommend some of the places in BedStuy. There is a great little market at City Point off the B and Q underneath the Alamo Drafthouse. Can get a wide variety of foods at cheap for new york prices. City Point Brooklyn | Home that area is pretty safe.

Awesome between 8th ave and this place she already has a ton of options. Any parks worth seeing? She likes to walk after eating.

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I mean Prospect Park is always pretty and has alot to offer. Lol if she is there over a weekend this is a slammin outdoor food place in prospect park call Smorgasburg here is the link. Welcome