NFL 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The prevailing thought was that some East Coast city with direct-to-London flights would serve as the US side of the organization, where business would actually be handled outside of the regular season and possibly training camp.

I haven't the faintest idea how taxes would work, if they could claim that they live in / their income was earned in that US state and they just "perform" in England X times per year. /shrug

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I would think that the players would still be Americans working for an American company so I would think that they could avoid too much British taxes. Half the players "live" in Florida now for tax reasons.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I would think that the players would still be Americans working for an American company so I would think that they could avoid too much British taxes. Half the players "live" in Florida now for tax reasons.
That isn't how the tax code works, at least in the states. You are taxed according to where you earn your money, i.e., where they play their games. So, for example, a Dallas Cowboys player makes half his salary in Texas. The other half is in states where they play their road games. So an NFL player may have to file tax returns in 9 states + federal.

Therefore, players on a London team would be earning half their pay check outside of the United States. I don't know enough about taxes on foreign earnings to say whether this is a good or bad thing though. I imagine it cannot worse than NY or CA. Also, Britain may not consider the income earned in Britain, so I have no idea if they would even tax the players that play there. I'll ask an NFL agent friend today for details.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I know when I was working in Malaysia taxes were a total bitch. Thankfully the company I work for hired PWC to do them for me but just going over the info PWC needed was way worse than doing regular taxes.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it looks like the top income tax rate in the UK is 45%. I don't know if there is an equivalent of a state income tax in Britain but in California you would be paying 39.6% federal + 12.3% state taxes so it might actually be cheaper to be in the UK. It looks like taxes in the UK are considerably worse than the US for the middle class but at the high end they are pretty similar.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah it looks like the top income tax rate in the UK is 45%. I don't know if there is an equivalent of a state income tax in Britain but in California you would be paying 39.6% federal + 12.3% state taxes so it might actually be cheaper to be in the UK. It looks like taxes in the UK are considerably worse than the US for the middle class but at the high end they are pretty similar.
The United States taxes US Citizens on foreign income as well. You are allowed some exclusions & deductions if you live abroad but the players would really get fucked.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I won't claim to be a tax expert, but I have done some work overseas, and I can tell you I paid US taxes only on the money I earned over there. I asked around and it was pretty much the same for all the ex-patriots (which means they aren't citizens of the place they're working, not that they are former patriots fans). I also asked our personnel people about it and I think they said it's the same for every country we do work in, and we do work in England too.

This article is relevant and might be interesting if you really care about NFL taxes.

NFL Players versus the IRS: Its a Tough Tackle | AccountingWEB

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hah, could be. I never saw it written down or tried to look it up, and they normally shortened it to expat.

New #Redskins GM Scot McCloughan told by Dan Snyder that owner is embarrassed and just wants to win, that he and Bruce Allen won't interfere
If this can actually happen and last there just might be hope for this shithouse of a franchise.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
rrr_img_87431.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
In case there was ever any doubt how this would turn out:Robert Mueller releases report on Rice investigation

"We found no evidence that anyone at the NFL had or saw the in-elevator video before it was publicly shown. We also found no evidence that a woman at the NFL acknowledged receipt of that video in a voicemail message on April 9, 2014.

"We concluded there was substantial information about the incident -- even without the in-elevator video -- indicating the need for a more thorough investigation. The NFL should have done more with the information it had, and should have taken additional steps to obtain all available information about the February 15 incident."

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't see how having audio of the woman acknowledging receiving the tape could ever be "no evidence".

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You are the biggest Teddy dick sucker around. That has to be your favorite Teddy pic.