NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember something about the way it's worded in the CBA that the reason they test for Marijuana being that it is against the law and that's why they are allowed to punish them, I could be wrong. What happens when a Denver or Seattle player pisses positive and fights the suspension based on the wording of the CBA?

Also fuck this Marijuana testing of athletes, the shit isn't a fucking PED and actually would help a lot of these violent assholes calm the fuck down, Aldon Smith might just be a pot head instead of drunken fucking moron risking the lives of himself and the drivers near him. Hell I bet it would cut down on the DUI's the league is riddled with.
It is still illegal under federal law so being in a state that has legalized it is irrelevant.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It is still illegal under federal law so being in a state that has legalized it is irrelevant.
Every state could legalize it, then the federal government could as well, but if it is on the banned list? Guess what the fuck you can't do?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I remember something about the way it's worded in the CBA that the reason they test for Marijuana being that it is against the law and that's why they are allowed to punish them, I could be wrong. What happens when a Denver or Seattle player pisses positive and fights the suspension based on the wording of the CBA?

Also fuck this Marijuana testing of athletes, the shit isn't a fucking PED and actually would help a lot of these violent assholes calm the fuck down, Aldon Smith might just be a pot head instead of drunken fucking moron risking the lives of himself and the drivers near him. Hell I bet it would cut down on the DUI's the league is riddled with.
You're probably thinking about there being reports about marijuana helping with brain damage related to concussions. Goodell said if that turns out to be true they'd take a look at it, but nothing will change while it's still illegal.

It actually seems to me like the league tries to help these guys avoid losing their careers. Obviously the NFL cannot just ignore drug use. You'd have endless media scrutiny and eventually stupid shit like Congressional hearings every time a guy got arrested for possession and the league did nothing whatsoever.

So while doing absolutely nothing would be a PR problem they still seem to bend over backwards to try and save these some of these dipshits from themselves. People making minimum wage in the U.S. get drug tested and many definitely don't get the benefit of having one test per year announced months in advance. At some point you just have to ask the players to make better decisions.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You know exactly when they're going to test you. You don't need to wait until your career is over, you just have to stop for a couple weeks a year.
This is true for players not in the substance abuse program (haven't had a previous positive test and/or arrest), but once you are in the program you are subject to year round testing. Players not in the program are only subject to testing for substance abuse drugs from April 20th-August 9th.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
List doesn't have Geno Atkins. It's invalid. I would also say AJ Green should be rated higher. PFF ratings confuse me sometimes.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
List doesn't have Geno Atkins. It's invalid. I would also say AJ Green should be rated higher. PFF ratings confuse me sometimes.
It's because they break down every play and do it scientifically and not "That guy on my team was good 2 year ago so he should be top 10 FOREVER!".

More realistically, you have to be pretty consistent to make the list as each game is graded separately. It's not about accumulated stats for the season. And they really do break down every single play. It's not just numbers, but blocking and drops and everything else. You "say AJ Green should be rated higher" but they broke down and graded every single snap of his to come up with this. It's not what someone feels.

edit: Was curious so I checked the other popular advanced stat guys. Green rated pretty low, for him.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2013

He had weak YAC last year=P

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
3 Chiefs in the top 30 and 4 in the top 40. I think Eric Berry is seriously overrated, he shouldnt be anywhere in the top 100, especially not #37. And I think by the end of this season, Dontari Poe might be the best DT in the league, he'll be a top 10 guy on par with the likes of Warren Sap and Albert Haynesworth at their peaks.

And as much as I love to shit on the guy, Tom Brady at # 90 is laughable. You're going to tell me there are 89 players in the league you would rather have on your team than Tom Brady? Come on.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
3 Chiefs in the top 30 and 4 in the top 40. I think Eric Berry is seriously overrated, he shouldnt be anywhere in the top 100, especially not #37. And I think by the end of this season, Dontari Poe might be the best DT in the league, he'll be a top 10 guy on par with the likes of Warren Sap and Albert Haynesworth at their peaks.

And as much as I love to shit on the guy, Tom Brady at # 90 is laughable. You're going to tell me there are 89 players in the league you would rather have on your team than Tom Brady? Come on.
You don't think Rivers is the second best qb in the league at only 44 spots ahead of Tom Brady and 16 spots ahead of Brees?

There's just no way to think you can give 1 single number to rank all NFL players. Each team only plays 13 of the 32 other teams for one. Then someone has to come up with a way to convert things like passing yards to tackles to receptions to sacks allowed.

Unless Tony Romo is in at least 3 of the top 10 spots I'm just not buying it

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You "say AJ Green should be rated higher" but they broke down and graded every single snap of his to come up with this. It's not what someone feels.

edit: Was curious so I checked the other popular advanced stat guys. Green rated pretty low, for him.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2013

He had weak YAC last year=P
I'm well aware of PFF grades for Green - and I agree on some points (YAC, drops), but we're talking about an out of this world talent.

Maybe if they were grading purely on this past season, I could see Atkins not making the list due to him missing half the year. But he is probably the best DT in the NFL. When Belichick says that if you could do the draft over again you should be the #1 overall pick, you're probably a top 100 player. Geno Atkins is a fucking monster and is better than Suh.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You don't think Rivers is the second best qb in the league at only 44 spots ahead of Tom Brady and 16 spots ahead of Brees?

There's just no way to think you can give 1 single number to rank all NFL players. Each team only plays 13 of the 32 other teams for one. Then someone has to come up with a way to convert things like passing yards to tackles to receptions to sacks allowed.

Also,

Brandon Marshall above Calvin Johnson, with Jordy Nelson being just barely behind Megatron, is goddamned ludicrous. Calvin should be in the top 10 and there shouldn't be another receiver within 20 spots of him

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Maybe if they were grading purely on this past season
Uhh...

PFF_sl said:
- This list is based solely on 2013 play. Nothing that happened in previous years or may happen in the future is accounted for. This isn't about class or talent; it's about form throughout 2013.

- This list is created with an All Positions Created Equal mantra. So you won't see 32 quarterbacks heading the list even though that is the most valuable position, instead seeing how guys played relative to what is expected from their position. You might disagree with this for doing a Top 101 list which is your right, but this is how we've done it for the past three years and will continue doing it so that every player has a fair shot at getting the respect they deserve.

- A repetition because it's often the most misunderstood; this is not a list about talent or a lifetime achievement award. It is solely, 100% based on what happened between the opening kickoff of the 2013 regular season and the final snap of the Super Bowl this past February. Anything outside those dates does not matter.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

I'm the biggest Rivers fan on the boards. I think he is extremely talented. I would drop him in a hot minute for Brady haha

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear you guys are fucking retarded. It's numbers, plain and simple. Read Calvin's entry, he missed games and played half games. They are very clear he'd be ranked way higher otherwise.

If you want a list that is based on something meaningless like feelings or how "talented" someone is or who you'd prefer go to Bleacher Report, they've got plenty of dipshit "writers" like you guys cranking that drivel out. PFF's list is based on actual performance last season and nothing else.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So with the Clippers going for $2 billion wonder what the Bills will cost if they do go for sale.