NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Congratulations in advance for confirming you won't win a title for the rest of the decade San Fran.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Only thing I can think of is they're expecting like a $9-10m increase in the cap for the next couple of years which would basically offset the yearly hit and still allow them to operate as normal.

Congratulations SF fans. You have your QB of the future.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, negotiating now while the available cap space is lower may lead toward a more cap-friendly number should the cap rise as predicted. But it isn't like agents are oblivious to this information either.

Haven't seen the actual cap # breakdowns, but roughly $18mil a year? It is high but not outrageous. Better than trying to play the QB carousel game.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit that's a ton of money.

If they don't win in the next 2 years or so, the team will get blown up. They've got a ton of talent right now, and that talent will be leaving for their own paydays. They won't be able to afford to keep nearly as much of the team together with that kind of contract.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
One thing the 49ers have been doing and continue to do is to accumulate draft picks to keep a steady supply of cost-controlled players coming into the system. But they will have some tough cap decisions to make now that they don't have a cost-controlled QB. Crabtree and Aldon Smith come immediately to mind. Vernon Davis is also (rumored) to be looking for a new deal.

Seattle will be in a similar boat after next season. After the Kaepernick deal I don't see how they don't give Wilson close to $20 mil a year. They already have two of the top paid safeties in the league, Sherman just got his payday, they will have tough decisions to make starting with Marshawn Lynch once Wilson gets his deal.

It should be interesting overall to see if these new rookie salary caps give teams with cost controlled QB's an advantage. It obviously has for the Niners and Hawks so far.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's $21mil a year. The 18 number is including this year's 1 mil salary before the new contract kicks in. No one does the math that way=P

It's not insane, can call it too much all day but that' just where the league is at now.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Seattle will be in a similar boat after next season. After the Kaepernick deal I don't see how they don't give Wilson close to $20 mil a year. They already have two of the top paid safeties in the league, Sherman just got his payday, they will have tough decisions to make starting with Marshawn Lynch once Wilson gets his deal.
I don't think Marshawn plays for the Hawks after his current deal is up. I don't see how we have the cap space because Russ will be getting paid next year.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It's $21mil a year. The 18 number is including this year's 1 mil salary before the new contract kicks in. No one does the math that way=P

It's not insane, can call it too much all day but that' just where the league is at now.
Yeah, but they always play games with how the cap money gets spread out. Look at Flacco's numbers, despite the $120mil contract number (or ~$20mil a year averaged out) he actually has pretty reasonable cap hits until they spike up to $28 and $31 million dollars in 2016/2017.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, but they always play games with how the cap money gets spread out. Look at Flacco's numbers, despite the $120mil contract number (or ~$20mil a year averaged out) actually has pretty reasonable cap hits until they spike up to $28 and $31 million dollars in 2016/2017.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying anything about that. Just that Disp gave the $18 number if you include this year to the new contract and people are saying he signed for 18 per average. Just not the way people discuss these generally.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Oh yeah, I'm not saying anything about that. Just that Disp gave the $18 number if you include this year to the new contract and people are saying he signed for 18 per average. Just not the way people discuss these generally.
They could have manipulated the deal to include this year if it included a signing bonus (which could be applied to this year or spread out over the contract). But really I doubt much of the deal is included in this years cap number because they currently don't have the space.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm sure they reworked the deal and pushed a fair amount of money into this year. His cap hit won't be $1mil. this year like it was scheduled to be.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think Marshawn plays for the Hawks after his current deal is up. I don't see how we have the cap space because Russ will be getting paid next year.
Eh, it's not like the demand for running backs is going up.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Screenshotted>
Kaep signs 6 year $126 mil extension. Including this year comes out to about 7/$127, or about $18/yr, and contract is probably loaded with incentives and de-escalators. $61mil guaranteed.
Dumbest signing since Tony Romo got $120M

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have to feel bad for the 49ers. But Grimm is right its where we are.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's a pretty standard deal.

It does only further confirm that the 49ers have one, maybe two seasons left before they fall back to the pack just due to salary cap reasons; they have to curse daily that a division rival fell into the same low cap situation nearly at the same time they did.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It will make it harder to maintain the depth that the 49ers have enjoyed the last few years and it might result in somebody like Crabtree being a cap casualty, but I would much rather be in that position than trying to draft a quarterback every 2-3 years and hoping one of them pans out.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It will make it harder to maintain the depth that the 49ers have enjoyed the last few years and it might result in somebody like Crabtree being a cap casualty, but I would much rather be in that position than trying to draft a quarterback every 2-3 years and hoping one of them pans out.
If it wasn't for Kyle Williams they would have been in the Super Bowl with Smith under center. Kaepernick took over when Smith was at an all high there. I'm pretty sure if they let Kaeperbro walk and picked someone else up who could be a game manager at worst, there'd be no real loss in how that team performs with its current roster.