NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd kind of like the Redskins to just say screw it and change, just so this is over with.

On the other, I think it's bullshit to change just because of a few people. From what I've seen, the vast majority of Natives either don't care or actually like it (I guess the term Redskin changed in connotation in the early 20th century to not be negative). I also don't want to see the Chiefs, Indians, Braves, and Blackhawks, plus whatever other teams they decide to go after, lose their names.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That list is the best troll article I've seen in a while. Nicely done.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd kind of like the Redskins to just say screw it and change, just so this is over with.

On the other, I think it's bullshit to change just because of a few people. From what I've seen, the vast majority of Natives either don't care or actually like it (I guess the term Redskin changed in connotation in the early 20th century to not be negative). I also don't want to see the Chiefs, Indians, Braves, and Blackhawks, plus whatever other teams they decide to go after, lose their names.
I don't think you understand what the words "vast majority" mean.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't consider the names Indians, Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks remotely on the same level of racial slur as Redskins. Indians biggest problem is their fucked up logo.

I don't consider the names Indians, Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks remotely on the same level of racial slur as Redskins. Indians biggest problem is their fucked up logo.
Since im not NA I can't say whether these offend me, but they don't at all seem derogatory. "Indians" just flat out doesn't make sense, I will say that. Just a dumb euphamism

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you really get down to the core of it, it's a racially insensitive term, on the same level as 'chink' for asians. It's not like there was a tribe called the Redskins, it was a derogatory term used against Indians in general. It's not any different then when St. Johns changed it's name from the Redmen to the Red Storm (which is a stupid name btw).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Someone will twist this wave into saying the Reds is an offensive name. Communists are people too.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
My great grandfather was a sock and I am highly offended by that name.
Think of all the sons/daughters/brothers/sisters/grand parents/uncles/aunts and just about any other type of family member possible that got shot into a sock, who will speak up for them!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
When is the last time anyone here heard another person use Redskin as a derogatory term in conversation?
There is no way for me to know, ultimately, but I would bet the farm that not only just me, but not one person I have ever met has ever had a single truly racist thought about a native american. A few people around here are like %5 SomeTribe and wear it like a badge of honor (not that they shouldn't). I'm not saying the word 'Redskin' isn't used somewhere in the world to hurt people, but I certainly don't know where that is. St. Louis is a fucked up racist city so I see it all. But never 'Redskin Hate'. Never. Maybe the 30 year old white dude who works at the Mobil station just outside of a reservation in Oklahoma? People don't even use the word on the internet. The same internet as /b.

I don't care if they change the name. I think this is such a huge non-issue. It's a giant WASP fight over semantics.

The Indians logo is fucked up though.