NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've seen Canadians (Eskimos) and people from like the parts of the country that actually have reservations and shit say racist stuff about them. But even so, they were basically brought to the brink of genocide and treated every bit as subhuman as African slaves were, so its a bit of an old wound there wouldn't you say? At the end of the day, sure its just some stupid sports team but it doesn't really surprise me that this is coming home to roost either. Times have changed and certain things aren't considered ok anymore.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I've seen Canadians (Eskimos) and people from like the parts of the country that actually have reservations and shit say racist stuff about them. But even so, they were basically brought to the brink of genocide and treated every bit as subhuman as African slaves were, so its a bit of an old wound there wouldn't you say? At the end of the day, sure its just some stupid sports team but it doesn't really surprise me that this is coming home to roost either. Times have changed and certain things aren't considered ok anymore.
That's fair I guess.

I think it's a classic example of that age old conundrum of 'This is no big deal.' vs 'So why make a deal of it?'. I admit to thinking that this is no big deal. But if enough others think it is then, very well, I step aside.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There is certainly racism towards native americans in areas with reservations. Any time there is a community with extremely high rates of unemployment, crime, and substance abuse, the neighbors don't appreciate it. If that community is racially homogeneous and different from "the neighbors" then that can and does easily turn into racism. Plenty of people around here are racist towards Natives because the only ones that they come into contact with on a regular basis are the ones that took the bus in from the rez to go on a bender.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Washington Drunkards. Same logo .

On a serious note yes tons would leave the reservation since its dry to buy booze. They also have special hunting and fishing rights in Washington / Oregon and don't respect the land or animals. So there is certainly some racism out there regarding Natives.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider

On a serious note yes tons would leave the reservation since its dry to buy booze. They also have special hunting and fishing rights in Washington / Oregon and don't respect the land or animals. So there is certainly some racism out there regarding Natives.
Uh yeah, Native Americans are basically a mix between black/mexican. Almost everyone I've met is an alcoholic or a drug head that tries to fight everything they see and hates the whiteman. That's kind of what happens with despondent peoples.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

taking a boat out on the Columbia Gorge is a fucking nightmare. Nets everywhere.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
When is the last time anyone here heard another person use Redskin as a derogatory term in conversation?
Listen, I'm firmly in the "I really don't give a shit" camp when it comes to the name change, but are you trying to argue that because derogatory terms can lose meaning with time they at some point become non offensive?

I can't understand how people find themselves claiming it isn't offensive. Just say you acknowledge that it is, but don't care. That makes way more sense.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Can you find an example somewhere in history of someone using the word "Redskin" as a slur? I think it was originally a name that the natives called themselves?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Uh oh. From the Wikipedia entry on "redskin".

"Oklahoma" is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red").
Looks like we have to change the name of Oklahoma next.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is it with the adults on this board that really get up in arms if they can't use racial slurs? You motherfuckers will write an entire essay about this shit. Is it that important to you? And italwaysgoes down the retarded slippery slope(The Niners should be the San Francisco Slopes!) argument.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
What is it with the adults on this board that really get up in arms if they can't use racial slurs? You motherfuckers will write an entire essay about this shit. Is it that important to you? And italwaysgoes down the retarded slippery slope(The Niners should be the San Francisco Slopes!) argument.
It's the typical entitled dipshit mentality. Just because they've been able to do something their whole life that offends someone else, they want to continue to do it. You know change is hard man!

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That's fine, nobody likes Oklahoma anyways
Like Mizzouri is much better, ass!

I grew up in Oklahoma. A ton of people in the state have some sort of Native blood that never grew up in the reservation. Hell, I'm 1/64th, white as all get out, but could still qualify for some state/federal aid if my great-great-great-granddad had signed the registry. We treat Natives as a great asset and part of the heritage of the state. We learn about thier history and culture from kindegarten through high school. They are a huge deal in the state. All that to say that I have never, ever had a conversation with anyone from any walk of life in Oklahoma that ever touched on this subject with anything but derision for people that try to make it a big deal. It is a political issue, pushed to the forefront by political groups, and crusaded upon by politicians. Regular people don't give a shit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think you're reading too much into what I said. I don't give a shit if they change the name. I just suspect that it has more to do with busybody liberals throwing their weight around than any real racism or offense being given. And of course the Oklahoma thing was obviously a joke.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you're reading too much into what I said. I don't give a shit if they change the name. I just suspect that it has more to do with busybody liberals throwing their weight around than any real racism or offense being given. And of course the Oklahoma thing was obviously a joke.
Who the fuck cares who it is prompting the change if it's change for the better?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Better according to who? Obviously the organization and a lot of their fans think that keeping the name is "better".

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just rename them the Washington Bullets. That was the best Washington team name ever. Stupid PC police.