NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So is Jason Garrett getting canned when this season wraps up?
Probably not. Chip didn't have two star players out for half/3 fourths the season, and one of those was the primary QB. Sanchez only had to play backup a couple of times; it was mostly the bradford show. Garret also didn't push for acquiring a running back (Murray) who absolutely did not belong in that weak O-line, especially not the way Chip was running it. I'm sure that means I think Murray was overrated, but his production was definitely subpar (and his usage) and it made no sense with their current RBs. That was a decent sized chunk of change that he absolutely did not deploy onto the field. Garret had injuries out the asshole constantly all season, and McFadden was still able to get some work done, especially compared to Murray. Now, if the Cowboys went 6/8 with everyone healthy? Yeah, I would expect Jerry to seriously reconsider his employment. But the eagles didn't get hit nearly as hard by the injury train as other teams. Chip really didn't have an excuse aside from bad decisions, where Garret clearly had outside influences fucking his plans up.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
When you keep guys like Riley Cooper and cut superstars who are helping other teams make it to the playoffs you deserve to get canned.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Come on, man. All Weeden needed was the defense to hold the other teams to 223.5 yards per game. Sure that's 60 yards per game less than #1 ranked defense, but Merrith made an awesome case and would never say something completely retarded
I defer to you as the expert on saying completely retarded shit. We're all still wondering how the Cowboys managed to go 4-11 through 15 games with their best team ever.

No but really, it's just fun to needle. As if Weeden was the only problem.

Merrith

Many Skins fans including myself are loving Gruden, but if he starts Captain Kirk in a meaningless game against the cowgirls and Cousins gets hurt, there will be such massive backlash. It would be a very skins-like thing to happen.
Somewhat disagree. While the game is meaningless for us with regards to the playoffs, I think it's important to keep the confidence going by avenging the loss to Dallas. We're going to be underdogs no matter who we face, might as well go in with a 4 game winning streak if you can.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I didn't mean to say that I think it's a bad idea to play starters, I'll trust lil Gruden's judgment either way. just that if Kirk ends up getting hurt and we lose in the 1st round, then some Redskins fans and media folks will explode with hyperbole about Gruden being an awful coach and ruining our playoff hopes. which would fill the void for a negative Redskins talking point for the off season.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Ugh.. You obviously haven't been following this team. He let 2 offensive line players go which totally exposed our undersized center, traded McCoy then overpaid another RB who he didn't even bother to put in the best position to suit his ability. Brought in a CB who didn't come close to earning the money he got. let Maclin walk instead of paying another million, had some really bad draft picks and coached a team who could never just play 4 quarters. He's terrible and I'm glad he's gone. We also owe the Rams a 2nd for Bradford...
Obviously you follow the team, how many games have those O linemen played this year? One is literally out of the league right?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whats crazy is the NFL is so starved for quality QB's that Cousins will probably get a monster multi year contract next season just for winning a division title and leading the league in completion percentage for one year.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Obviously you follow the team, how many games have those O linemen played this year? One is literally out of the league right?
When we lost our lineman all people talked about here was how we didn't have suitable replacements. It was an ongoing theme in the preseason that came to a head during the season. I'm ok losing guys but you need to properly replace them which GM Chip didn't.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Whats crazy is the NFL is so starved for quality QB's that Cousins will probably get a monster multi year contract next season just for winning a division title and leading the league in completion percentage for one year.
Hey you idiots signed Kaeperfail for less.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That would be awesome.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Chip bought into his own bullshit. The Murray thing is a microcosm of the whole situation. McCoy was a perfect fit for his scheme, but he somehow became enamored with Murray, who clearly isn't. Different run styles. It's not really a surprise that Murray's best game came when Philly used him more like Dallas did (runs from center, create a hole and let him burst through it). There's also the workload factor. Chip likely figured he could sports science away the historical trend of league leading carry backs falling off a cliff. Couple all that with the thought that scheme is more important than player (his primary bullshit philosophy), and you get the Eagles 2015 season in a nutshell.

Lurie has always appeared to be willing to let things ride as long as it appeared progress is being made. Chip was only his second head coach since the turn of the century. I kind of wish they had given him one more year though, just to further drive the franchise into the ground with his decisions.

Edit:This articlereally puts things into perspective. Lurie wasn't set on firing him at when they met but it apparently went south really fast.

Merrith

This was kind of my worry a couple weeks ago, but guy has put up numbers this year. 8th in yards (3,990, or more than Joe Flacco has ever thrown for in a season), obvious 1st in comp % (69.5%), tied for 10th in yards/attempt (7.56), 13th in TD's (26, to only 11 Int), 7th in QB rating (99.2), 7th in Total QBR (67.7).

Do I think he's a legit top 10 QB right now? Probably not that high, but I'm starting to believe he could be top half of the league. Looking at some of the other guys and their cap numbers, I would be okay with him getting around ~15-16M a year for a couple of years (no crazy term yet). He'll probably end up getting more though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
So Chip Kelly took every offensive playmaker on the Eagles roster, sent them packing, overpaid for DMM, and left.

Holy shit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This was kind of my worry a couple weeks ago, but guy has put up numbers this year. 8th in yards (3,990, or more than Joe Flacco has ever thrown for in a season), obvious 1st in comp % (69.5%), tied for 10th in yards/attempt (7.56), 13th in TD's (26, to only 11 Int), 7th in QB rating (99.2), 7th in Total QBR (67.7).

Do I think he's a legit top 10 QB right now? Probably not that high, but I'm starting to believe he could be top half of the league. Looking at some of the other guys and their cap numbers, I would be okay with him getting around ~15-16M a year for a couple of years (no crazy term yet). He'll probably end up getting more though.
Franchise tag number for QBs last year was $18.5m. Whatever that figure will be will become next year will be the starting point in negotiations for Cousins and Osweiler. They won't make that per year because it'll be helped out by bonuses and stuff, but they're going to clean up, that's for sure.

Merrith

Franchise tag number for QBs last year was $18.5m. Whatever that figure will be will become next year will be the starting point in negotiations for Cousins and Osweiler. They won't make that per year because it'll be helped out by bonuses and stuff, but they're going to clean up, that's for sure.
I think I heard the franchise number this year is 20 and change. I'd rather get a 3 or 4 year deal worked out. On one hand, I think Cousins knows this offense fits him, and this is the spot where he will have the most value, but on the other I know dude deserves to get paid, and the last half of the season has been quite the vindication for not only him, but Gruden as well. Not that most people ever thought he wasn't the best choice to lead the offense, but that he could be an effective starter.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
cousin's earned consideration for being a Good to better than average quarterback. is he elite? not YET, that takes a couple of years of steady improving play. this was his first "year" playing (practice does not count, real game situations count.

does he make the good throw, does he read defenses well and adjust with what he is shown etc.

so far he has shown, at least initially, that he does decent at those things, now can he take that next step.

take fitzpatrick- he has gone from team to team and has been a better than average quarterback, this year he is playing "good" and has the team around him to ALLOW him to be a "Good" QB. is Fitz Elite? no, Could he be elite?...ask me in 3 years, same goes for cousins, mariotta, ostweller(or however he spells his name), etc.

Merrith

Not sure I completely agree with this being Cousins first "year" playing. He started at least 1 game in each of the last 3 seasons, and started at least 3 in each of the last 2. While 9 starts isn't a lot in 3 seasons, it's not pure clipboard holder either. There was quite a bit of data on Cousins just based on his number of attempts and his terrible interception % to worry. Through the first 6 games, he didn't do a lot to relieve that worry (8 picks). He still does a lot of other things well, the turnovers were just a major issue.

Definitely not elite yet, and not sure on his long term prospects to ever hit what I consider elite (top 5 in the league). I think he's top half of the league right now (top 15), and could get better to threaten being a possible top 10.

Definitely some good young QB's in the league. Last 2 draft years have guys that have a lot of potential or are putting up some pretty good numbers (at least individually in some cases). Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles (all from 2014), and Mariotta/Winston this year.