NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Madden also left coaching because he was battling serious ulcers over the stress. That's a tad different.

How many high profile coaching positions have come up since Cowher and Gruden left who had a good QB? As much as I hate on Eli to all my Giants friends, Eli isn't terrible.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another intangible is your public profile. Gruden and Cowher enjoy this exalted almost mythical status of the uber coach, same for like Jimmy and Ditka though they aren't considered someone you would want back for your team anymore. You go back to coaching and you're back on the hot seat and under criticism. Your legacy is shit all of a sudden and you're back to "what have you done for me lately" and answering to a sleazy owner and some GM who's quite possibly younger and less experienced. Shanahan and Gibbs were ripped to shreds and called over the hill and out of touch with the game.

Why sign up for that versus a nice easy life on TV with everyone kissing your ass like you're a football genius forever. Most likely you won't win a SB, more realistic to expect it will only tarnish your overall legacy. Shit, wasn't Cowher to a point before he got a ring where Pittsburgh fans were losing faith that he'd ever win the big one? Its not like he even enjoyed blamelessness during his career, just decent carte blance from ownership.

Its like Coughlin said to Eli at that presser, "when we lose,Ilost...when we win, you guys all won".

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I was going to bring up Shanahan. Outside of the money (which is debatable if he needed) he probably regrets coming back.

You've also got to consider the stress of coaching. You always hear about coaches who end up sleeping in the film room or other facilities during the season because they spend so much time there. Plus being on the road for 5 months of the year. That's a lot of stress. Why not spend a few hours in a TV studio to make the same amount of money?

moontayle

Golden Squire
I don't get the Lovie firing unless he seriously pissed in someone's Cheerios. It's not like they're the Titans who went from the #2 pick last year to the #1 pick this year. If the consensus is that the team needed to restock their talent then two years is too little time, especially one year removed from being the #1 pick.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get the Lovie firing unless he seriously pissed in someone's Cheerios. It's not like they're the Titans who went from the #2 pick last year to the #1 pick this year. If the consensus is that the team needed to restock their talent then two years is too little time, especially one year removed from being the #1 pick.
Its the Buccs, the Browns were making them look competent, had to show they are still in contention for worst run club. Plus can't risk any continued success, next thing you know the fans will expect you to spend up to the cap! Can't have that, best to beat them back down into their low expectations now.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
He's a defensive minded head-coach that had one of the worst defenses in the NFL this season, on one of the easiest schedules (looking at SOS) in franchise history. TB was allowing the league worst 70% completion % allowed per game, was ranked near the bottom for TDs allowed, was ranked near the bottom for YPA, was ranked near the bottom for INTs, 2nd worst defense for QB rating, etc. And this was after a disastrous 2014 season on defense as well.

Moreover, TB was one of the worst (if not the worst) penalized team in the league. Discipline on the field is definitely on the HC.

To only get 4 more wins than last year, which you could argue is because of a new OC and a potentially good QB is the main reason for his dismissal. I think ownership/GM were worried about breaking up the offensive continuity because teams were interviewing Koetter, and this will eventually play out with either making Koetter HC, or bringing in someone like Koetter as HC to keep up the development of Winston.

I can understand for non-Bucs fans how this will look like a boneheaded move, but watching the games you can see that Lovie really wasn't the reason for this years improvement. That improvement was on the OC/QB, which he doesn't coach.

Edit - one other point I read from someone on Reddit: What if this is similar to Pagano/Arians on the Colts? Were the Bucs willing to let go of a potentially good coach to keep the incumbent in place? Not saying Koetter is as good as Arians, but what if he potentially could be? Lovie was clearly a lame duck and doesn't have the PR nightmare of cancer survivor to keep him from getting canned

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was just about to come and post that. Reading FB comments hurts my head, so many "fans" are shitting all over this decision right now.
Don't know how they can shit on it if the goal is the Super Bowl. Brock may be the future there, and sooner rather than later, but I think they saw what the last few weeks have looked like and realized they're decent with him with that defense backing him up, but their only real shot at going all the way is if Peyton can come out rested and good for 3 games.

Merrith

He's a defensive minded head-coach that had one of the worst defenses in the NFL this season, on one of the easiest schedules (looking at SOS) in franchise history. TB was allowing the league worst 70% completion % allowed per game, was ranked near the bottom for TDs allowed, was ranked near the bottom for YPA, was ranked near the bottom for INTs, 2nd worst defense for QB rating, etc. And this was after a disastrous 2014 season on defense as well.

Moreover, TB was one of the worst (if not the worst) penalized team in the league. Discipline on the field is definitely on the HC.

To only get 4 more wins than last year, which you could argue is because of a new OC and a potentially good QB is the main reason for his dismissal. I think ownership/GM were worried about breaking up the offensive continuity because teams were interviewing Koetter, and this will eventually play out with either making Koetter HC, or bringing in someone like Koetter as HC to keep up the development of Winston.

I can understand for non-Bucs fans how this will look like a boneheaded move, but watching the games you can see that Lovie really wasn't the reason for this years improvement. That improvement was on the OC/QB, which he doesn't coach.
I think a lot of people get a little mesmerized by the improvement in the wins column and want to anoint him the reason behind it, but I agree almost all of that was Winston having a very good rookie season. They probably see a lot of close defeats and think Lovie was close to having a .500 team or better, but in reality when you look at games like against the Skins, yes Cousins and the team played better to come back in that game, but they were aided by 15+ penalties by Tampa, including 3 or 4 personal fouls. Also Lovie burning all 3 of his timeouts in the 2nd half with over 4 minutes to go in the game. Considering the game ended after a completed pass and tackle around our 35 when the clock ran out, they could have used even just one timeout to stop the clock and kick a 52 yard FG to win it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I kind of hope the number of retread HCs goes down this year. I mean, there's a reason they're not still an HC, and it's generally not a Marty Schottenheimer situation which still makes no goddamned sense 8 years later.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Right now Koetter is being linked with the Eagles, Dolphins, and 49ers for interviews. The Bucs stated he's their front-runner (and only candidate so far) for the HC spot. Not hard to imagine, seeing as the Bucs jumped from mid-20s in offense in 2014 to 6th this year.

Merrith

I kind of hope the number of retread HCs goes down this year. I mean, there's a reason they're not still an HC, and it's generally not a Marty Schottenheimer situation which still makes no goddamned sense 8 years later.
Agreed, feel like there are always a lot of younger up and coming coordinators who get passed over for HC jobs too often for tired old HC's. Look at what Bowles did with the Jets this year? From 4-12 to 10-6. Yeah, they lost the biggest game that mattered, but can blame Fitz more for that with 3 picks in the 4th quarter with the game within 1 score.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I fully expect Hue Jackson will get a job so you've got at least 1

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Was just about to come and post that. Reading FB comments hurts my head, so many "fans" are shitting all over this decision right now.
Hmm go with some complete noob or the guy that's been to 3 Superbowls. That sure is tough.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Brock and Peyton have both sucked pretty much equally this season. That team is just stacked that they can overcome bad QB play.