NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wish teams would adopt math into their games. I remember reading about some high school coach that ran the numbers and always went for two, never punted, always went for onsides kicks, and came out way ahead because of it.

Edit: That was easy to find, the guy has a ton of articles about him. Name is Kevin Kelley.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think that would translate well to the NFL. The net punt of an NFL punter versus high school, I would imagine, is significantly higher. Same for onside kick. How often does that really work in the NFL, maybe 20% of the time? You would need a pretty stout defense to be giving the other team the ball at roughly the 50 yard line 80% of the time you kickoff.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think that would translate well to the NFL. The net punt of an NFL punter versus high school, I would imagine, is significantly higher. Same for onside kick. How often does that really work in the NFL, maybe 20% of the time? You would need a pretty stout defense to be giving the other team the ball at roughly the 50 yard line 80% of the time you kickoff.
The percentages would not be the same, but you could see a dynamic shift between the 20s depending on your defensive DVOA and all that. Also converting 4th downs has a way to demoralize a defense at certain points.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Teams punt to much on their opponents side of the field, I remember Dallas on 4th and inches punting and denying Bailey a 57 yard attempt punted the ball to the fucking 1 and watched them March 99 yards down the fucking field for a TD.

If your offense is good, take more chances on their side of the field. Amereaves is right for the most part, it would be stupid not to punt on your side of the field because the punters are better and the place kickers.

Does anyone watch their local HS? Fg kickers in HS suck, if you drank every time they missed a PAT you'd die of alcohol poisoning and the punters aren't much better with punting at the 27 and the team getting the ball back at or near the 50. Also if you don't punt and fail and keep them out of the end zone it's not a free 3, the fuckers can barely hit PAT's

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I think teams punt too much in small part because coaches are trying to not get fired by idiots who don't understand the game like they do. If these coaches were self employed they'd be going for it on 4th waaaaay more often.

I did love that the Steelers went for 2 a bunch last year and hope they do the same thing this year.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think teams punt too much in small part because coaches are trying to not get fired by idiots who don't understand the game like they do. If these coaches were self employed they'd be going for it on 4th waaaaay more often.

I did love that the Steelers went for 2 a bunch last year and hope they do the same thing this year.
Mathematically, a 2 point conversion is almost always a smarter option outside of a few situations

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's already getting killed in philly for that. It's not something we want our QBs tweeting about. Unmanly

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
IDK I think its pretty nice that the Lord is so concerned with Wentz that his divine plan is to trap him in a NJ bathroom initially and then have the graciousness to send the attendants and garden shears. Truly working in mysterious ways this week.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
converting 4th downs has a way to demoralize a defense at certain points.
4th down stops though, that's the opposite of demoralizing. Whatever the fuck that's called. Remoralizing? If you were 50% on your 4th down conversions the net effect on the defense would probably be better morale.