NFL 2016 - <whatever Tony is doing>

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Romo sat his rookie year. I think he finally played in year 3.
I thought we were talking about QB's drafted in the first round?

It doesn't cost much for your franchise to take an UDFA QB from Eastern Illinois and have him sit for a year or two. It's completely different to spend a first round pick, or multiple picks, on a guy and have him sit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Purely anecdotal, but Rodgers has stated multiple times that the couple years he spent holding Favre's clip board gave him time to adjust to the speed of the pros. A couple of the other greats have said the same. I think really only Payton is an all timer who played immediately, at least in the modern era.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it's so hard to pinpoint. There are guys like Manning and than guys like David Carr, Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch. David Carr was in a terrible situation in Houston and was just destroyed by sacks. Who knows what that did to his mental makeup but I guess an argument could be made that if he can't deal with adversity than he's probably not good enough to play QB. Most of these 1st rounders end up playing by the first season, I don't quite see the rage about Goff but I was also ok with Wentz sitting a few games. I was under the impression Goff was to sit this week, be #2 next game and start game 3. Seems like a reasonable enough approach.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Marino, Wilson, Roethlisberger (13 games after what's his nuts got hurt?), Newton, Luck, Winston and RG3 had great years as rookie QBs. I don't think there is a right formula, it's luck, coaching, other players, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh? Of the current starting QB's in the league, the following were 1st round picks who started games in their rookie years:

Ben Roethlisberger (14 games, 13 starts)
Eli Manning (9 games, 7 starts)
Alex Smith (9 games, 7 starts)
Jay Cutler (5 games, 5 starts)
Matt Ryan (16 starts)
Joe Flacco (16 starts)
Matt Stafford (10 games, 10 starts; week 1 starter but injured)
Sam Bradford (16 starts)
Cam Newton (16 starts)
Blaine Gabbert (15 games, 14 starts)
Andrew Luck (16 starts)
Ryan Tannehill (16 starts)
Blake Bortles (14 games, 13 starts)
Jameis Winston (16 starts)

That's nearly half the league whose current starting QB played their rookie year. Like I said, Rodgers is the aberration here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moontayle

Golden Squire
it's so hard to pinpoint. There are guys like Manning and than guys like David Carr, Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch. David Carr was in a terrible situation in Houston and was just destroyed by sacks. Who knows what that did to his mental makeup but I guess an argument could be made that if he can't deal with adversity than he's probably not good enough to play QB. Most of these 1st rounders end up playing by the first season, I don't quite see the rage about Goff but I was also ok with Wentz sitting a few games. I was under the impression Goff was to sit this week, be #2 next game and start game 3. Seems like a reasonable enough approach.
Fisher gonna Fisher but he tried to do the same thing to Young with the Titans but was ultimately forced to put him in when Collins was shit and with the Bud breathing down his neck to play the Texas golden boy. Of course, Young ended up being shit in the long run. He probably had that ammunition for Kroenke in hand when he 'splained what he was going to do. Of course, that doesn't explain how he's going to surround Goff with good players down the road so in the end it likely doesn't matter.

I figure Goff starting by their 5th game.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm. Maybe I'm just losing my mind here but I actually thought the roadmap by fisher was to start Goff game 3? That's why I'm not surprised he didn't change QBs for this game.. Maybe I'm imagining shit.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its almost like teams that have one bad season and get a qb do better than perennial basement dwelling teams. Like if Luck went to the Redskins instead of the Colts he would probably suck right now and be on the Browns.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Eh? Of the current starting QB's in the league, the following were 1st round picks who started games in their rookie years:

Ben Roethlisberger (14 games, 13 starts)
Eli Manning (9 games, 7 starts)
Alex Smith (9 games, 7 starts)
Jay Cutler (5 games, 5 starts)
Matt Ryan (16 starts)
Joe Flacco (16 starts)
Matt Stafford (10 games, 10 starts; week 1 starter but injured)
Sam Bradford (16 starts)
Cam Newton (16 starts)
Blaine Gabbert (15 games, 14 starts)
Andrew Luck (16 starts)
Ryan Tannehill (16 starts)
Blake Bortles (14 games, 13 starts)
Jameis Winston (16 starts)

That's nearly half the league whose current starting QB played their rookie year. Like I said, Rodgers is the aberration here.
I think it's really the fact that so many more QBs are coming out of college pro-ready than 15-20 years ago which has kind of changed the old sit behind a veteran for a few years paradigm.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There are very few teams that are always and have always been good. Green Bay maybe? They've been at least decent for as long as I remember. But even the almighty Pats were dogshit for many, many years. Far more years than they've been good. Their period of greatness is like looking at the age of man relative to the history of the universe.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I recall Green Bay being shitty through the 80's and early 90's until Favre got there.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought Green Bay rose out of shittyness into mediocrity during the Majekowski era. But maybe I just think that because I liked saying his name.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Got a laugh out of this power ranking. Spoiler alert - The Rams are 32.

browns_150.png

CLEVELAND BROWNS
LAST WEEK: 31
RECORD: 0–1

“Look at me, Browns fans. It’s not your fault.”

“We know.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“We know.”

“No, no you don’t. It’s not your fault. ... It’s not your fault.”

“Don’t mess with us, Chris. Not you.”

“It’s not your fault.”

*sobbing*

“It’s not your fault.”

Reht

Molten Core Raider
They weren't Tampa Bay terrible, but they went 93-120-3 from '80-'93, they were actually worse in the '70s. Farve definitely turned it around for us GB fans and Rodgers has kept it going.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I thought Green Bay rose out of shittyness into mediocrity during the Majekowski era. But maybe I just think that because I liked saying his name.
20-28, so about the same.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
GB had a long dry spell when Danny Devine took over for Vince and fucked us with some Hershel Walker level bad trades. Infante did all right with Majkowski as QB, but by that point it had been two decades of shit to average and a front office unwilling to spend money on a good team. Forest Greg trying to turn us into the Raiders 2.0 (the criminal part) did not help, either. Ron Wolf more or less got us back on track after Infante made the fans hungry for success again.

So two decades of suck out of nine is not bad. Stealers, Vikings, KC, Denver, and Cowboys have been competitive, more often than not over the years. It really comes down to fans and success attracting the right talent. In most of those towns, the football players get treated like royalty, win or lose, so people actually like playing there. Except maybe the Vikings, but at least there you get whores on a boat!

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Steelers sucked balls in the 80s, and before Chuck Noll got there were one of the worst teams in the NFL. But for most of my adult life they have been one of the best teams year in and out. 3 coaches in 4 and a half decades, its weird to think when some teams have had that many in the past few years. Ie Browns.

We have had some great FO guys. I posted something in here a few months ago showing drafting since 1996, and number of games played by early picks, wins etc, and we were 1st...then there was GB and NE, Baltimore was way up there. It's no surprise good drafting is the key to success, and not using the older Dan Snyder approach to FA.