NFL 2016 - <whatever Tony is doing>

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Unless these helmets have forcefields around them, I don't see what you're going to do about limiting impact of two, 250 lb mammoths smashing into each other at 20 mph. It's part of the risk for the money and glory, no?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Unless these helmets have forcefields around them, I don't see what you're going to do about limiting impact of two, 250 lb mammoths smashing into each other at 20 mph. It's part of the risk for the money and glory, no?
I don't know that is why you invest in research. It is part of the risk and why I said I don't want it ruining games.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You make your choice to get smashed in the head for millions of dollars a year.

Don't want a brain full of mush, sure that's fine, but no Million dollars for you and now you have to work at walmart...

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
In reading opinions of people who are also becoming disillusioned, this is a big issue. The NFL built up to this level on stuff like the "Jacked Up" segment.

The two biggest complaints I see are:
- Too many stoppages. Kickoff, commercial, run a play, flag, commercial, run 2 more plays, punt, commercial, scoring drive, commercial, extra point, commercial, kick off, commercial, etc.
- Refs are inserting themselves into the games. It feels like every other play has a flag thrown, and not in a hyperbolic way. Worse, no one apparently knows the fucking rules anymore. What's a catch? What draws holding? What's excessive celebration? What's pass interference? Shit, in the last Redskins game John Lynch, who played for fucking ever, was watching a replay of Pierre Garcon where he made 3 steps and asked "Well, was that actually possession and a catch?"

I would add the incredibly dumb suspensions to this list. Beat up a woman? 2-4 games. Smoke weed? 1 YEAR SUSPENSION!!

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Seattle using deflated footballs?

582206eef3238e2068000001.png

moontayle

Golden Squire
The need to reduce CTE post-career through better technology and better technique is important to the long term health of the game. The latter is probably the only thing I respect about Seattle. They teach wrap up tackling via leading with the shoulder. Big hits can and do occur but it's usually incidental as opposed to deliberate.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would add the incredibly dumb suspensions to this list. Beat up a woman? 2-4 games. Smoke weed? 1 YEAR SUSPENSION!!
That's definitely up there on the complaints list, in tandem with Goodell and the CBA/Union being garbage.

As far as helmets go, is technology really going to be able to make football any safer? I mean, the problem is the brain smashing into the skull, not the skull smashing into the helmet. You can't pad the brain.

It's the whole idea that the game was safer when everyone was wearing leather helmets. Having these giant monstrosities with "perceived" safety means players are more like to torpedo into another player head first. Does anyone follow rugby here? I'm curious if they have any CTE issues (granted, the game is played very differently; less open field tackling).

moontayle

Golden Squire
Better technology makes the actual impact less immediate. There's more time (though measured in milliseconds) between the start and the end which can reduce instances which lead to concussions and eventually CTE. It's not foolproof, which is why that has to be paired with better technique.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't get rid of the CTE problem, its fundamental to the game. Linemen and linebackers are taking micro concussions snap after snap, game after game, for years. Football is inherently bad for the brains of the players who are often the least compensated and least famous. They don't want sally soccer mom to find this out so they focus on shit like big hits on receivers and QB's or all the crazy shit in the special teams game.

Anyway, its true most fans don't even give that many fucks about CTE. The league just wants to decrease their liability by pretending its doing something about "safety" and longer term they are scared shitless that people are going to stop letting their kids play the game, since that would kill the league eventually even if only a minority of parents came to this conclusion.

The reason fans are turning away is simply a degradation of the product on the field and over saturation due to their greedy grabbing of more market share with both hands. These things can be directly traced back to Goodell and the owners. They are digging their own grave, and while I miss the quality of the entertainment, they can go fuck themselves because they totally deserve it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Saw an interesting episode of weediquette where they are doing studies that show players recover from concussions better using weed. This was with pill form without thc if I recall correctly.

• 1Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Saw an interesting episode of weediquette where they are doing studies that show players recover from concussions better using weed. This was with pill form without thc if I recall correctly.

Did these guys conduct the "study"?

b57nOfo.jpg

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Good move by San Diegans, the Chargers stadium plan failed. Wonder if the Chargers tries to shoot up to LA now. Kronke and Spanos could try and outduel each other for biggest piece of shit.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
remember 10 years ago when Romo became a starter and Cowboys were full of hope................

moontayle

Golden Squire
Will the Browns trade a 6th for Romo in the offseason or wait until he is a June 1st cap cut?
Anything related to Tony being cut would only save $5m off cap. I would almost assuredly expect him to flat out retire than try to make a go of it anywhere else if it looked like they didn't want to keep him around. I figure at worst they might ask him to be the veteran backup for a year if they fully decide to move to Dak full time. He wants to win but it's not like there's a legacy to protect here and he's never been an ego guy.

They'll turn to him soon. Dak has played great but Tony's the established veteran who has consistently played at a high level in his career. The way they're moving the ball on the ground, and Tony's ability to sling it, in addition to his ability to read a defense, just gives him a better chance to win in the playoffs. This team is better than the 2014 version even when you take the QB out of the equation. Last I checked Romo QB'd them to 13 total wins and a Murray Fumble/NFL catch definition fuckup from the NFC Championship that year. They have a game in hand over the entire NFC right now and the next two games are against AFC opponents. Perfect time to put him and in and see what happens.

• 1Solidarity

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
So Romo to Denver in the offseason?

Romo to the Browns for the Eagles pick, draft that LSU rb whose name I don't properly know how to spell and to lazy to Google. Gordon, Romo, LSU rb...might be able to attract some free agents to take that 50 million in available cap space on the defensive side of the ball.

• 1Cutler