NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm calling it now Niners will be a terrible team, not because they can't score or because they can't stop anybody but because of fucking penalties.

This team has looked absolutely lost at certain points and have had big drives wiped away by STUPID penalties. Shanahan is a rookie coach, young team, maybe it's just the inexperience but fuck they have looked inept.

Rueben Foster is going to be our next star middle linebacker. Bowman is still an All Pro level player IMO but he is one injury away from his career being in doubt. A lot of teams are gonna be kicking themselves for passing on him. He is a fucking animal.

Niners D will be much improved, mostly from the great 1st round they had this year, but they should hope they do poorly enough to get a high enough pick for one of the good young QB's in draft next year (assuming Cousins doesn't bolt for San Fran in offseason). Still a couple years away from anything, might as well suck this year and get a good pick.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't really get how this is worth five games. Or really even considered dirty. It's a pretty typical move. Burfict is more trouble than he's worth just because of the microscope on him. Dude can't even play physically anymore. Even you - hater of haters - has to say that this one is pretty bullshit. Didn't go low. Didn't lead with a helmet.

Vontaze Burfict facing 5-game suspension
Come on dude it was away from the play and defenseless, up around the head area is why. No questioning it was dirty and not a "typical move"....any time you decleat someone away from the play that shit is going to draw the ire of the NFL. That said I hadn't seen it, just saw the headline, but it wasn't too bad -- I'd say just 1 game. At this point he doesn't seem to get it, if it was anyone else it wouldn't be a big deal and would be just a flag and fine - but the NFL is obviously sick of that pattern of behavior and is trying to set a precedent. I think their thinking is that it could have led to a concussion, and if it wasnt some random fullback and was Kelce or some shit it would have been an even bigger deal. James Harrison used to hit like that, and after multiple fines he stopped doing it - Burfict just doesnt seem to give a fuck. You'd think after costing your team time and time again he would get it.

Here's Peter King's take:

"With virtually all other players in football, the Aug. 19 crushing hit on defenseless receiver Anthony Sherman of the Chiefs would not have resulted in a suspension by the NFL. But Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict is not like many other players.

He is one of the most fined and suspended players for egregious hits in recent NFL history. And as Adam Schefter reported Sunday night, Burfict will be suspended for the first five games for the hit on Sherman.

The history: You’ll remember how he cheap-shotted Steelers receiver Antonio Brown into wooziness in a playoff game two years ago, knocking him out of the following week’s game at Denver. Greg Olsen and Ben Roethlisberger have both accused Burfict of trying to intentionally injure them, and he was fined for both incidents.

The Brown hit caused Burfict to be suspended for the first three games of 2016. So, barring a successful appeal, Burfict will miss the opening five games this year after missing the opening three games last year.
On the hit in question in the Bengals’ second preseason game, Sherman came out of the backfield and had his head turned, so he was not looking upfield. It appears from the replay as though Sherman could not see Burfict coming and thus was defenseless. Burfict blasted Sherman either on the upper arm or shoulder pad/neck area (the replay is not conclusive), and down went Sherman. It was a big hit, and the 242-pounder flew to the ground.

A new rule this year gives defenseless receiver protection to an offensive player running a pass route—if the receiver is contacted from the side or from behind. Burfict approached Sherman from the side and hit him. The defenseless part is certainly correct. With his history, it’s going to be a tough case for Burfict to win.

There will be those, perhaps with good reason, who will say it's absurd to erase 31 percent of a player's season for a play that happened in a preseason game. I would be one of those. But the league will be quick to point out that Burfict lost the benefit of the doubt long ago. Clearly the NFL is tired of his act."

My guess is that he will get something like I said before, 1 game or maybe 2 at most after the appeal because it was some nobody and a preseason game.

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Niners D will be much improved, mostly from the great 1st round they had this year, but they should hope they do poorly enough to get a high enough pick for one of the good young QB's in draft next year (assuming Cousins doesn't bolt for San Fran in offseason). Still a couple years away from anything, might as well suck this year and get a good pick.
I am hoping this is how it plays out as well. Show improvement, but not enough to knock them out of a top 3-5 pick. But with the way the Jets, Jags, Bears, and even Colts look, there is definitely some competition for tanking.

Their defense will be much improved, and I am excited to see how that front 7 works throughout the year. The secondary is decent, but really thin. So far this pre-season Eric Reid has been an absolute animal at Strong Safety, and I am hoping the move brings him back to pro bowl form. The offensive line is probably my single biggest concern. They just are not good. Thankfully they have Hoyer back there to sacrifice to the Gods, instead of a franchise QB.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I could see the 49ers winning 6-8 games this year. Hoyer is not a bad QB, Shanahan knows how to coach offense as good as anyone in the NFL, and their defense is going to be much improved. Plus you get the Rams twice, the Bears, the Jags etc.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think Foster ends up playing A LOT. He could record 100 tackles this year and be a Kwon Alexander type of rookie who can rack up tackles and can pick the ball off, as he has been doing to Hoyer all training camp.

The guy had like 6 interceptions in practice in like 2 weeks I think it was.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I could see the 49ers winning 6-8 games this year. Hoyer is not a bad QB, Shanahan knows how to coach offense as good as anyone in the NFL, and their defense is going to be much improved. Plus you get the Rams twice, the Bears, the Jags etc.
They aren't beating the god damn Rams this year, you take that back!!!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did you see him wipe out that Vikes player in the flat yesterday? I havent seen that type of shit in a while on this team, not since Patrick Willis was in his formative years.

Obviously they had a great defense in their Super Bowl run year in 2012 but that defense was more of a solid unit, rather than a spectacular play making squad who was making impact plays and set a culture. I want to see some Bounty gate Saints Greg Williams type shit from this defense.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Did you see him wipe out that Vikes player in the flat yesterday? I havent seen that type of shit in a while on this team, not since Patrick Willis was in his formative years.
Yes

Had a nice hit over the middle on Treadwell also

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
And one more of him plowing down Alex Boone, who outweighs him by at least 70 lbs. Dude is going to be something special

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So whats that gonna put Rodgers at when his contract extension comes up? 35 million, even more?

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently the Steelers just got Vance McDonald from the 49ers. Awfully late in the game to be adding someone so we'll see, but he has to be a better pass catching option than Jesse James.

Merrith

Apparently the Steelers just got Vance McDonald from the 49ers. Awfully late in the game to be adding someone so we'll see, but he has to be a better pass catching option than Jesse James.

And here I was hoping the Skins could find someone who might want Carrier at TE. Another possible option gone.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure he had the highest drop rate among tight ends over the last 2 years or something like that. Maybe he can flourish for you guys somehow. He undoubtedly has some physical gifts, just couldn't ever put it together in SF.

Oh, and the TE that was picked after him?

Merrith

Pretty sure he had the highest drop rate among tight ends over the last 2 years or something like that. Maybe he can flourish for you guys somehow. He undoubtedly has some physical gifts, just couldn't ever put it together in SF.

Oh, and the TE that was picked after him?

Have to assume that scout that pushed for McD over Kelce is fired by now.