NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Firewalker

Silver Knight of the Realm
That catch rule article is from 2015. Think the rules have changed again since then.

Yea just trying to figure out which rule it is that makes it not a TD, i'm super salty about this play. AFAIK you have to maintain possession and take 2 steps in the end zone, which he does. But because he falls out of bounds and the ball pops out, that makes it not a touchdown? How does that make sense.

ninja edit: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/
  1. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
  2. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
  3. maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).
Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Item 2. Sideline Catches. If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, or the pass is incomplete.

So I'm guessing what the Refs are saying for this play is that he wasn't a runner at this point? He takes 3 fucking steps! I still don't agree with the call.

Last edited:

Armin

Peasant
The NBC halftime show didn't mention the Lions getting the dick from the 10 second runoff rule.

How do you leave that out in highlight segment? It literally ended the game. I usually don't believe the NFL bat phone theories....

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea just trying to figure out which rule it is that makes it not a TD, i'm super salty about this play. AFAIK you have to maintain possession and take 2 steps in the end zone, which he does. But because he falls out of bounds and the ball pops out, that makes it not a touchdown? How does that make sense.

There's some language (or there was some language at some point) about when a receiver is "going to the ground" that they have to maintain possession all the way through. I don't know how recent that is, but I know it's in there. So I'd assume the ruling would be he was "going to the ground" in the process of completing the catch, and since he didn't maintain control, they rule it incomplete. I think in that case it's dumb as shit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The NBC halftime show didn't mention the Lions getting the dick from the 10 second runoff rule.

How do you leave that out in highlight segment? It literally ended the game. I usually don't believe the NFL bat phone theories....

Because it's a fair rule?

Armin

Peasant
I feel like Chris Thompson is the next guy Bruce Allen lets walk instead of paying. How about that segment earlier when they reminded everyone that Garcon and Jackson both turned in 1,000 yard seasons and are on different teams now.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
This game is making me feel better about how the Rams played the Skins though. Had it tied up late but couldn't hold em down.

We should have scored a TD too but Robert Woods forgot how to catch.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel like Chris Thompson is the next guy Bruce Allen lets walk instead of paying. How about that segment earlier when they reminded everyone that Garcon and Jackson both turned in 1,000 yard seasons and are on different teams now.

Btw, we signed him to a 2 year extension already few weeks ago.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
But by rule they review every scoring play. Technically even if they walk in without being touched. The clock was going to stop no matter what, why does the team have to eat a 10 second runoff?

You must not understand the rules. The clock doesnt stop if he's tackled short of the end zone so if they didn't blow the call the game would have ended anyways.