NFL 2018 - 2019 -- Watch America's favorite sport wither away and die

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Man I just remembered this... In the offseason, Baker got 0 reps with the starters. Comes in the middle of Game 3 and just starts like he has always been there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hue was such a fucktard there. Looking forward to 16 seasons of him as HC in Cincy.

• 1Solidarity

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hue was such a fucktard there. Looking forward to 16 seasons of him as HC in Cincy.

Hue needs 122 more losses to set the record for most by a coach. Let's be generous a say he wins 2 games a year. Hue can set that record in 9 years!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I agree with Baker for rookie of the year.

For defensive rookie of the year my vote would be for Derwin James but I might be biased. Kid is amazing.

I really don't think Hue Jackson is going to coach the Bengals.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would that be better or worse than getting traded to Jacksonville along with Ryan Tannehill, who is poised to break out next year, and they win the super bowl and you have to hear it from your Jaguars co-workers every day?

Cuz Tannehill is going to break out next year. ...I mean it this time!

That scenario is a million times better.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Offensive Rookie of the Year is going to be either Mayfield or Barkley. On Defensive side will either be Derwin James or Darius Leonard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
As Rookies,

mayfield meant more and DID more for the browns, than barkley did for the giants.

browns finished 7-8-1
giants finished 5-11
mayfield had 7 wins. he MEANT more to the browns this year, than any player has in the past decade -only one season -2014- did the browns have more than 5 wins since 2008.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
As Rookies,

mayfield meant more and DID more for the browns, than barkley did for the giants.

browns finished 7-8-1
giants finished 5-11
mayfield had 7 wins. he MEANT more to the browns this year, than any player has in the past decade -only one season -2014- did the browns have more than 5 wins since 2008.
Chubb and Landry had nothing to do with the Browns offensive improvement at all I'm sure.

• 2Worf

Merrith

As Rookies,

browns finished 7-8-1
giants finished 5-11

Agree with Sterling Sterling . I think Mayfield was absolutely great the last stretch run of the year and was a big part of them having such an improved year...but he shouldn't get all of the credit. Garret and Ward on D, Chubb eventually taking over as the starter, etc.

Giants had 8 of their losses by one score or less (5 of those by 3 points or less) with a defense that didn't make as many plays as Cleveland's did most of the year. Beckham also missed 4 games. Barkley basically did a lot of work solo, and behind an O line that's been subpar for awhile.

I agree Mayfield was huge for Cleveland, but I think people see the wins jump and by default are handing him all of the credit, when that roster has been building talent for a good bit now and getting rid of Hue helped everything click.

I'd still give the award to Mayfield, but what Barkley did at least makes it a 2 horse race.

Sterling

El Presidente
Also, I don't have any problem with Mayfield getting offensive ROY or anything, I just think that it's not an obvious selection. Also, I think that Barkley could be the best RB in the league and I doubt you'll ever get to say that about Mayfield. My point was more about Mayfield having more talent on his team than Barkley does.

Merrith

Well...no shit? He's a goddamn Quarterback, of course he gets all the credit.

Right...it's just because of how bad Cleveland has been, I think people sleep on the fact that of all the other 1st round draft picks (other than Lamar Jackson, who went 32nd) at QB, he actually went into the best situation as far as talent around him.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So no one else thinks vander esch deserves DROY?

I'm probably just a homer.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giants were terrible and might have won a game or two at most without Barkley, he *was* their offense this year.....and he made that impact from the rb position. Is Saquan Barkley the best rb in football now? It's very arguable, and several pros, HoF'ers, coaches etc have come out and said he's already the best back in the league... as a rookie.

If I had the luxury to be given any RB in the NFL right now it would be him without hesitation.

Crazy stat I read: the most receptions as a rookie for *any* position in NFL history was Anquan Boldin with 101 as a wide receiver, and after this past game #2 is Saquon Barkley who tied his teammate Odell Beckham Jr with 91. That's on top of 5.0 yards per carry (tied with McCaffrey for highest in the NFL for 15+ carries/gm) and 2,028 all-purpose yards (also #1 in the NFL).

If anything he and Baker are both equally deserving, but I think Mayfield won because a) QBs always get more love and b) Saquon was on a team that hasn't been the running joke of the NFL for the last 20 years which definitely helped Mayfield.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Baker also won 2 games with Hue Jackson as his head coach and Todd Hailey as offensive coordinator. Once they ditched those anchors he started to shine.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
But how much do you attribute Barkley's numbers to simply being forced to go to him because a lot of the rest of the team sucked? All those receptions are a large product of the offensive line sucking so there isn't as much time to get it downfield or for more involved routes to develop.

Also, his YPC is pretty damn good, but he did have 60 runs for 0 or negative yards and about 75 that were for only 1 or 2 yards (out of 260 rushes). That can easily kill a drive. Now, again, the offensive line obviously comes into play here, but how much? In college, he was also a leader in negative/zero yardage plays.