NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
I hope Zeke holds out and my boy Darius Jackson gets a chance to show he can play. I had the pleasure of coaching him in high school.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Apparently Dak turned down a 30m/year offer.

Better to tank than pay Dak 30m a year if this is true.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fadaar

That guy
if jerrah somehow let both dak and zeke walk i'd totally cheer for the cowboys for 1 season. 1 season.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
While Dak is not at all worth 30 million, it's possible the contract had other elements to protect the team that he didn't like (like an out after a year or two, heavily incentive based, etc).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem with today's NFL is the QB position in general in regards to contracts, and Dak Prescott himself.

The QB salary scale has been skewed for a long time, so that's not Daks fault, but the reality is Dak is a medium level QB.

He doesnt deserve that kind of money. I dont understand why teams dont start trying to reverse the trend of paying guys like Tannehil a kings ransom.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The problem with today's NFL is the QB position in general in regards to contracts, and Dak Prescott himself.

The QB salary scale has been skewed for a long time, so that's not Daks fault, but the reality is Dak is a medium level QB.

He doesnt deserve that kind of money. I dont understand why teams dont start trying to reverse the trend of paying guys like Tannehil a kings ransom.

Just to start the narrative and play devils advocate...

Because without that medium level QB your team has zero chance of sniffing the playoff, unless you are like a Jacksonville a couple years back, that had a ridonkulous defense.

Of course Dak deserves that sort of money. Hardest position in sports. Has a winning record regardless of the circumstances. His QBR and stats are smack dab in the middle of the league with SIX to potentially EIGHT hall of fame QB's ahead of him. They are HOF QB's. Old, and let's be honest no one is on their levels. Let's remove them?

So the question is he on par or in the conversation with those other 10 QB's. Aaand the answer is yes as much as I hate to admit it. Outside of Mahomes and Luck, you have a good a shot as any of the others QB's at winning if you were to shuffle these QB's around.

The question is are ANY of these mid tier QB's worth the money?

1565624092144.png

1565623705970.png

• 2Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
He was behind more than just those 8 HOF QB's. He is also behind Jameis Winston & Andy Dalton, barely ahead of stars such as Flacco and even fucking Nick Mullens.

He should take 25m per year and be thankful that he plays at a competent level at the most in demand position.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's the problem. People put too much stock in mediocre QBs just..because.

Obviously it's difficult to win consistently with poor QB play, but it's also difficult to win with an abysmal defensive back end. It's difficult to win when you cant salt away games because you arent able to run the football.

QB is important, but imagine how fucking terrible Dallas would have been without Zeke the last 3 years? Yea he missed time and Dak held steady for the most part, but A LOT of the Cowboys success during Daks tenure was fueled by Elliot.

Elliot obviously feels the same. Dak doesnt have to play the hold out game because QBs get paid. Again, part of the problem.

If you want to be realistic, A Dak Prescott type player should be making about 20 million a year. The next tier of guys, ala Roethlisberger, Rivers etc should get 27 or so, and the top tier Brees Brady etc should be making over 30.

Rookie contracts are the way the are for a reason. Remember Sam Bradford's contract?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
He was behind more than just those 8 HOF QB's. He is also behind Jameis Winston & Andy Dalton, barely ahead of stars such as Flacco and even fucking Nick Mullens.

He should take 25m per year and be thankful that he plays at a competent level at the most in demand position.

Yup. And do you think when the time comes to pay the Jameis Winston's and Andy Dalton's they wont get paid? THAT's the problem. Because the NFL demands at minimum mediocre QB play for top dollar.

That line of demarcation for mediocre to meh is VERY fine no doubt. You're talking percentage points.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's the problem. People put too much stock in mediocre QBs just..because.

Obviously it's difficult to win consistently with poor QB play, but it's also difficult to win with an abysmal defensive back end. It's difficult to win when you cant salt away games because you arent able to run the football.

QB is important, but imagine how fucking terrible Dallas would have been without Zeke the last 3 years? Yea he missed time and Dak held steady for the most part, but A LOT of the Cowboys success during Daks tenure was fueled by Elliot.

Elliot obviously feels the same. Dak doesnt have to play the hold out game because QBs get paid. Again, part of the problem.

If you want to be realistic, A Dak Prescott type player should be making about 20 million a year. The next tier of guys, ala Roethlisberger, Rivers etc should get 27 or so, and the top tier Brees Brady etc should be making over 30.

Rookie contracts are the way the are for a reason. Remember Sam Bradford's contract?

This I agree with 100%. You're preaching to the choir. BUT, Dak did hold the line while Zeke was being an idiot. Gotta give him that.

Dallas, like any other team with a top half QB will have no choice. Overpay this dude. Fuck Zeke. Fuck other positions, and be like 90% of the NFL for years to come. Potential to make SB's. (Unless Dak has that Cam Newton type year where he is MVP material for a flash) Fizzle out in a round or two because they are missing something because they kept Dak.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
NFL Idiots: Zeke is the only reason for Cowboy success.

Also NFL Idiots: RB is 100% replaceable position.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yup. And do you think when the time comes to pay the Jameis Winston's and Andy Dalton's they wont get paid? THAT's the problem. Because the NFL demands at minimum mediocre QB play for top dollar.

That line of demarcation for mediocre to meh is VERY fine no doubt. You're talking percentage points.
It would be retarded to pay Andy Dalton & Jameis Winston $30m a year.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Dalton is making 16 mil this year. Signed through next year. I have a feeling the new coaching staff will want to move forward with their own QB.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Brahma I was completely with you for a little bit of your post above when you said if you don't have that medium QB your team has zero chance...because that is 100% correct. Everything else after it comparing Dak to others I disagree with quite a bit, and outright think you're crazy if you think Dalton or Winston get that kind of money. Those two are literally playing for their "starter" status this year, although Winston's fantasy numbers always look better than his overall stuff. Having Arians as his coach with the weapons that team has might bail him out.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Brahma I was completely with you for a little bit of your post above when you said if you don't have that medium QB your team has zero chance...because that is 100% correct. Everything else after it comparing Dak to others I disagree with quite a bit, and outright think you're crazy if you think Dalton or Winston get that kind of money. Those two are literally playing for their "starter" status this year, although Winston's fantasy numbers always look better than his overall stuff. Having Arians as his coach with the weapons that team has might bail him out.

Cincy I give you that. They just can't figure shit out at all, and will be willing (more than likely) to start over. But lets say they even play"OK"...they will get their money. Here's the thing with Cincy. Anyone out there make you better that will be a FA or coming outta college? Outside of Tom Brady who will be a free agent BTW after this year. (Just for shits and giggles). Cincy just doesn't give a fuck, so you're right. They probably won't pay him and snag a scrub off the heap.

JW is getting better every year with his completion percentage and QBR (small slide in QBR this year) since he entered the league. EYEBALLING him though...I don't know. Fantasy is better than reality. I would take JW over Dak though.

1565644660337.png

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to go off script and say that you don't need a mid-level QB because you can always get one in the draft. Dak was a 4th rounder with massive holes in his game. He's still got those holes but has a strong supporting cast. Same with Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Mitch, Dalton, Goff, Darnold, and even Russel Wilson his first couple years. The game is set up to give QBs every advantage humanly possible to succeed since they are the engine. No one could have watched Trubisky, Goff, Bortles, and Flacco, and thought a good QB is needed to win big games. Or look at the lack of overall success for guys like Rodgers, Favre, Forehead Manning, Marino, etc who were amazing QBs....but couldn't get the right build around them.

I would love to see one brave FO make the QB position replaceable every 5 years like the rookie wage scale promoted.