NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol brutul.

That's actually hilarious in more ways than one. Because when you look at the complete lack of urgency and overall silence from Lynch almost makes me want to believe they truly dont care if they tank.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Well, the early coach firings seem to suggest owners are treating this like a lost season, and figuring they may as well reset early.

Speaking of covid, as soon as a team can't merely reschedule to get all their games in, the NFL will _have_ to give everyone another bye week for fairness purposes, won't they?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Well, the early coach firings seem to suggest owners are treating this like a lost season, and figuring they may as well reset early.

Speaking of covid, as soon as a team can't merely reschedule to get all their games in, the NFL will _have_ to give everyone another bye week for fairness purposes, won't they?

Saw an article the NFL is figuring out which city to bubble up for the playoffs, still have to get to that point tho

Fadaar

That guy
Well the Super Bowl is in Tampa so maybe Miami and Jax for the two leagues? Also have multiple college stadiums around the state too, namely Orlando and Gainesville being more centrally located.

• 1Like

Jozu

No home field advantage in football is different than the NBA or MLB imo.

The higher seeded teams are getting fucked with that, it gives the lower seed teams more of a chance.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No home field advantage in football is different than the NBA or MLB imo.

The higher seeded teams are getting fucked with that, it gives the lower seed teams more of a chance.

Honestly the lack of crowd noise for most games is already just a massive advantage to the veteran QB's who can easily make adjustments/audibles at the line. No need for silent counts, wonder if overall false start penalties are down this year?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Only the first place seed in each conference gets a bye, so that week off will be the only edge if the playoffs get bubbled to a neutral field.

Not that I see that particularly working for orgs the size of NFL rosters. I could see Hotel decontaminations and detentions for the week(s) a team is in town for their playoff game.

Since the Packers are a public organization and have to release financial numbers, it'll be real interesting just to see how much lost income they have from lack of seat sales.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Unless they didn't charge season ticket holders this year, the numbers will be the same as every year.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Wow look at the financials of the packers from last year

Crazy part is this.

The Packers' operating profit rose from $724,000 a year ago to $70.3 million for the fiscal year that ended on March 31. Net income rose from $8.4 million to $34.9 million. Each figure is comparable to levels seen in recent years prior to last year's report.

What a change !

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I don't see how you can bubble the nfl really. Teams and coaching staffs are massive. I mean look at a nfl sideline and their are more coaches and staff then there are players. Refs would have to bubble along with backup refs. It's a mess really.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Unless they didn't charge season ticket holders this year, the numbers will be the same as every year.
They charged them, but they then refunded the money or are holding it for 2021 tickets.
Refunds shouldn't be income, and even if those 2021 fees count as 2020 income, that's just shorting their 2021 income. AFAIK, the NFL is only spreading 2020 shortfalls to the next decade, so the Packers wouldn't want to book those 2021 tickets this year, though I am not even an internet accountant.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Wow look at the financials of the packers from last year

Crazy part is this.

The Packers' operating profit rose from $724,000 a year ago to $70.3 million for the fiscal year that ended on March 31. Net income rose from $8.4 million to $34.9 million. Each figure is comparable to levels seen in recent years prior to last year's report.

What a change !
Well, given that playoff ticket prices are higher than average and player playoff salaries are much lower than average, every (home) playoff game is going to result in significant additional net income.

That said, the Packers situation is weird from an accounting perspective. I would suspect that jump is just due to the Packers paying off the remainder of their entertainment 'district' they built recently. (The Packers actually get terrible loan rates. Every other team is owned by a billionaire who also happens to own a team, and thus the owner presumably has significant collateral for expansions and whatnot. The Packers, on the other hand, only have whatever cash reserves they've stockpiled paired with significant promised salaries in the future, which means the value of the organization isn't really that much if people stop caring about football (or a pandemic shuts down the league).)

Merrith

Rip all the Helaire fantasy owners. I do wonder how that will work out, I don't think Bell is who he used to be at all, but I also don't think he's regressed to where McCoy was when Reid brought him in.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rip all the Helaire fantasy owners. I do wonder how that will work out, I don't think Bell is who he used to be at all, but I also don't think he's regressed to where McCoy was when Reid brought him in.
He’ll be fine attitude wise with Andy. I think he’ll be ok.

Animosity

I dont think hes at that point yet either, but its honestly hard to tell with how bad the Jets were. I think he will just mostly be a third down and passing play guy for KC.

Merrith

I dont think hes at that point yet either, but its honestly hard to tell with how bad the Jets were. I think he will just mostly be a third down and passing play guy for KC.

He might end up taking goal line work, too. Helaire has struggled a little bit with carries down there.