NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The scenario I would hate the most is 49ers stick with Garappolo on a one year deal that's reasonable for both sides...

... then Rodgers is traded for / gets released to make way for Love and comes back to California.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I picked TB to win and wore a fucking TB shirt (it’s a cool logo, don’t write me letters) while watching. I sure as shit cheered for the giants and DJ during that last drive. Would have been glorious comeback vs the comeback king.

hot take. Giants destroy the NFC East next year. They have a ton of good young but inexperienced players. One of the youngest teams in nfl. No preseason hit them hardest imo. DJ has moments of greatness. Reminds me of josh Allen his first two years.
Good foundation for a solid online as well

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Garoppolo isnt owed any money after this year. Which is kind of crazy when you think about the dollar amount he signed for, and it was only 3 years ago, not even.

I am torn on him, just like I was on Kaepernick. its OK for 49er fans to support Jimmy, and its also OK for them to say he is trash. Its so frustrating trying to gauge how much value your guy has. Both of those 49er QBs took them to the Super Bowl, but yet basically drove off a cliff not even 2 years later.

Its also disappointing when I think about last years draft. I was super high on metcalf and wanted the 49ers to take him so bad. Of course they pass on him then take Deebo Samuel, who is a good young player, but he cant stay healthy. What use is a guy if he cant be on the field.

On the other side of that coin, him and guys like Kittle are so goddamn physical when they have the ball, they dont shy away from contact and it takes its toll. Kittle is fantastic but he too has now dealt with multiple injuries. Ill say it again, 49ers need to fucking fire their entire str and conditioning staff.

I thought he had 21 and 22 at $24.5mm still and UFA in 2023. Was a 5 year deal 3 years ago no?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, but Im pretty sure they owe him ZERO in guaranteed money after this season.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Wow your right $1.4mm dead cap hit if cut...

watch him get picked up by NE for peanuts then explode for a few SB wins.

• 2Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

So crazy that could be it for Garoppolo in SF.

This season has been beyond frustrating. Never seen an entire team decimated by injury like this.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had heard that as well, but looks like a nope

Yeah I read that Packers and Texans couldn't agree on value. I wonder how much Texans wanted for Fuller. Maybe a 2nd? Was curious about Cooks getting traded, too. Have him in fantasy although he's kind of just depth, but another guy who is done his bye week already.

Animosity

This trade deadline was insanely lame. A couple of bench players traded for 7th round picks. Woo..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
NFL trade deadline is rarely exciting. Not like baseball where major deals go down.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
49ers clearly tried to trade away Pettis and at least get something in return, but with no takers they just outright release him. Crazy that a 2nd round pick doesn't even make it 3 years.

While the 49ers have done a pretty damn good job of fixing the roster, they have made some really bad decisions as well.

1. Solomon Thomas - Bust for 3rd overall pick
1. Reuben Foster - Traded up to get him, released after all kinds of off the field troubles
3. Akhello Witherspoon - Has been shaky at best, good depth piece if anything
3. CJ Beathard - They traded up in the 3rd to get a QB who is barely a backup
4. Joe Williams - Released without ever playing a down

2. Dante Pettis - Just released
4. Kentavius Street - Been injured, and very OK when he does play
5. DJ Reed - They tried to release him and stash him on IR so he wouldn't be on the 53 man roster, and ended up snatched up by the Seahawks

3. Jalen Hurd - IR 2 years in a row
4. Mitch Wishnowsky - Sure he has been fine, but he's a punter. They took a fucking punter in the 4th round

And then a slew of questionable FA contracts. McKinnon, Kwon Alexander, Dee Ford, etc.

All of that together gives me some concern for the future. I hope they learn from their mistakes and move on from it though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think you fix a roster without mistakes, particularly fixing a roster as fucked up as the 49'ers were when they blew up Harbuagh. I won't say you haven't gotten value from Garappola but I wouldn't be calling him much of a success either at this point. 1 good year where he was probable the weak point of the offense, could put that on the coach as well tho.

Jozu

But the thing is, Lynch came in after Baalke, who was notorious for selecting project defenders and not getting anything out of picks. Instead of utilizing a strategy where they take the best player available, or making trades to stack talent, they are still striking out on guys with injury history, or just making flat out bad picks.

Kittle in the 5th is the one amazing find they have had in recent memory, and Bosa. But the number of guys they have missed on over the last 6 years has been astonishing.

To be fair to them though, they have dealt with a lot of unfortunate events. Patrick Willis sudden retirement, Bowman's knee exploding, Borland retiring after rookie year, Staley retiring, Justin Smith retiring, Aldon Smith going mental, Rueben Foster being a jogger, and now the last few seasons being wrecked by injuries. They have dealt with a ton of talent loss but still made it to the SB last year. Hopefully they can shake that bad luck and turn shit around for next year.

edit: whats insane is 92% of all of the 49ers injuries are lower body injuries. Out of the 20 something players injured this year, only 3 were something other than lower body injury. (Biceps, concussion). A bunch of ankle injuries, hamstrings, quads and knees. ILL SAY IT AGAIN, fire the entire 49ers str and conditioning staff!

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hamstrings and quads maybe but ankles and knees gonna happen no matter what you do. Putting Garappolo back out there was certainly a bad call which looks like he'll end up getting surgery now