NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that first period was sloppy as fuck. Was kinda fun to watch at first but after the second shovel break I was over it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
that was going to be my follow up post. you robbed me of that satisfaction

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Loungo back to Florida. What the fuck is going on?
Tortorella.

After trading Schneider there is no way I am going to believe that the Canucks wanted to trade Luongo at the start of the season, therefore only thing that makes sense to me is Torts ran him out of town. I'm sure the phone call from Luongo's agent to Gillis after Torts chose to start Lack in the heritage classic was epic.

Guessing Torts doesn't get along well with goalies. When Lunqvist made rumblings about perhaps not resigning with the Rangers, Torts got fired. Vancouver should have done the same. Seems like Tortorella three year plan to lose the dressing room got condensed in Vancouver to 6 months.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Corey Schneider and Roberto Luongo for.... Bo Horvat, Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Mathias. Yep. Good job.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fucking hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Gillis is running a total shit show there. He botched the whole Luongo situation sooooooooo fucking badly it's mind boggling.

@Araxen: don't forget they're retaining some of Luongo's salary as well.

Stosh

Fucking hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Gillis is running a total shit show there. He botched the whole Luongo situation sooooooooo fucking badly it's mind boggling.
I edited the post I made above. Gillis and Tortorella must have pictures of somebody in the Canuck's ownership fucking kids or animals to explain how they both still have jobs.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I read Lu was livid having been benched a few days back for the stadium game. Wonder if he had words with Torts and that played a factor. Rumor was something along those lines during the Gaborik trade.
More likely they knew it was comming, but one has to wonder.

Fucking Torts, don't miss that prick in NY one fucking bit.

Stosh

I read Lu was livid having been benched a few days back for the stadium game. Wonder if he had words with Torts and that played a factor. Rumor was something along those lines during the Gaborik trade.
More likely they knew it was comming, but one has to wonder.

Fucking Torts, don't miss that prick in NY one fucking bit.
The alternative is that Gillis told Torts not to start Luongo because a trade was in the works. I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't make sense. Why make that trade now and leave yourself without a proven goalie for the playoff race and/or playoffs? This trade would still be available after the season. Florida doesn't need a goalie for the last 20 games of the year. Is Gillis that secure in is job that he can miss the playoffs? I don't think so, so how bad must it have been in the locker room for Gillis to trade Luongo knowing it might lead to him losing his job.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The alternative is that Gillis told Torts not to start Luongo because a trade was in the works. I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't make sense. Why make that trade now and leave yourself without a proven goalie for the playoff race and/or playoffs? This trade would still be available after the season. Florida doesn't need a goalie for the last 20 games of the year. Is Gillis that secure in is job that he can miss the playoffs? I don't think so, so how bad must it have been in the locker room for Gillis to trade Luongo knowing it might lead to him losing his job.
Friedman had a good write up on the whole situation:Why the Roberto Luongo saga finally ended in Vancouver | Hockey | CBC Sports

So yes, it basically was due to not playing Luongo on Saturday. That night his agent was given permission to find a destination for him, and his first phone call was likely to Tallon.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Callahan for Martin St.Louis... FUCK YES! I was hoping amongst hope we would get him for Cally. Good times!

Stosh

Friedman had a good write up on the whole situation:Why the Roberto Luongo saga finally ended in Vancouver | Hockey | CBC Sports

So yes, it basically was due to not playing Luongo on Saturday. That night his agent was given permission to find a destination for him, and his first phone call was likely to Tallon.
Wow.

I feel sorry (as much as I can for a pro athlete anyway) for Bo Horvat. That kid is going to have so much external pressure to him to salvage the Schneider trade. There is no fucking way in the world that Florida doesn't make the same trade before last year's draft. If Gillis makes the same exact Luongo trade last year, he probably gets credit for getting something for Luongo's contract, but now...

It's almost like there's a running competition between Gillis and Sather to see who can fuck up worse.

Speaking of which, Sather has been spending money on bad contracts like a drunk sailor, and NOW he decides to get tough with his captain. Of course, in true Sather fashion he gets robbed while in a position of strength by Yzerman who managed to extract a decent haul for a player who made it pretty clear he only wanted to go to the Rangers. I would not be shocked if Tampa flips Callahan in the next few hours for another pick.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of which, Sather has been spending money on bad contracts like a drunk sailor, and NOW he decides to get tough with his captain. Of course, in true Sather fashion he gets robbed while in a position of strength by Yzerman who managed to extract a decent haul for a player who made it pretty clear he only wanted to go to the Rangers. I would not be shocked if Tampa flips Callahan in the next few hours for another pick.
I can't argue Sathers questionable contracts of late, but with both teams closing in on playoff positions, fighting for points in a tight race, I think this was a good deal for him. Sure he could possibly of played the long game and waited it out for St.Louis, but i'm glad he didn't. This was a good trade. Why Cally thought he should get Tavares money is beyond me.

Also looks like he's staying put acording to Yzerman.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Vanek to Montreal for Sebastian Colbert and 2nd round pick.
smile.png

Not a bad price for a rental, if he signs with us, it will be a steal...I doubt he will though.