NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit with that isles/nuks game. Isles come back from a 0-3 deficit in the 3rd to win 7-4.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They only look worse because we know they already let teams get away with a lot when changing when the puck is elsewhere.

Going to the game tonight Grimm, Kuznetsov's first game I kind of wish he wasn't getting thrown to the fire against you guys. Still rustled about having to see Halak in a Caps jersey. I'll never get the image of him eviscerating us live in front of me in Games 5 and 7 back in '10 out of my head.
8 straight for the Pens over the Caps, going back to January 2012.

Love it.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8 straight for the Pens over the Caps, going back to January 2012.

Love it.
Which is funny because it followed an equally futile streak going the other way. I actually thought we outplayed you guys for stretches Monday night (definitely not Tuesday). Didn't help in the end. I miss when Mike Green only really sucked in the playoffs.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The entire Eastern Conference is so fucking shitty. One single team with more than 90 points. Next best team in entire conference has 89 and the next one has 78.

Our division alone has 2 teams with more than 90 pts, and one team that has 89 pts.

The other division in the West also has a pair of 90+ point teams

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just look at the goal differential. 6 teams out west are +20 or better. 2 East.

Pens and Bruins are the only teams with even a vague chance against whoever comes out of the West, and the Pens chances areveryvague. They do not have the depth to overcome all these injuries. A fucking STROKE? Fuck me.

In 8 years as GM Ray Shero has drafted 4 forwards who played in the NHL, and the only one with any significant time was Jordan Staal. This window is closing fast=/

Fadaar

That guy
Just look at the goal differential. 6 teams out west are +20 or better. 2 East.

Pens and Bruins are the only teams with even a vague chance against whoever comes out of the West, and the Pens chances areveryvague. They do not have the depth to overcome all these injuries. A fucking STROKE? Fuck me.

In 8 years as GM Ray Shero has drafted 4 forwards who played in the NHL, and the only one with any significant time was Jordan Staal. This window is closing fast=/
Sad thing is the Lightning are +19, they just suck asshole at close games this year. 17 games lost by 1 goal (or in shootout). Le sigh.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pens are going to limp in to the playoffs and probably get knocked out by the Rangers. Neal and Kunitz hurt, Letang just got cleared to practice after his stroke.

Again, our 26 year old top defensemen is working on coming back from A FUCKING STROKE. And our former best shutdown D-Man, Brooks Orpik, is a shadow of his former self who gets routinely worked over.

Fleury is still Fleury. The vain hope that he turns in to '08-'09 Fleury gets less likely every year.

The best player in the world is playing with wingers picked up off the street. Because of Ray Shero's shitty drafting.

Oh well, it could be worse. I could be a Caps fan.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
USA finally got Olympic Gold in hockey.

5rN7g3H.jpg

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I root for the Wild, Vikings and Timberwolves. I really don't care when successful teams have down years.

Mostly, it was just a failed attempt at giving you shit.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just crying about this year=P Now that the Pirates clawed their way to mediocrity I have nothing long-term to bitch about.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Pens are having a down year?? I'm starting to get nervous Rangers won't even make post the way they have been playing since the break.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pens are having a down year??
Coasting on pure talent at the top. Great power play(hard to have a bad one with Crosby and Malkin out there together) and very good PK. They're out of forwards. Brian Gibbons has played 20+ games on Crosby's wing. That should not happen. He'll be playing with Malkin while Neal is out.

They're top 10 in everything but if you watch the games you can see that the playoffs are gonna get painful. Someone like Gibbons out there instead of a wily vet like Pascal Dupuis or Chris Kunitz is going to hurt a lot.

Barring some miraculous full recoveries by almost all of Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Bennet(yeah, that's 4 top 3 line wingers out), Kris Letang, and Paul Martin they are just going to get outdepthed. Just shit luck with injuries. Again.

Speaking of the PK, it's always really good(except last year=/) and gets no credit for the team's success=P Doesn't fit the narrative.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Our team is reduced to praying for a wild card spot staring down a daunting road trip through Cali coming up, all while hoping Halak can turn into himself from '10 or Cristobal Huet for the final 15 games of '08 season for us. Oates continues to fuck up our forward lines like he has all year long, on one hand noting that Ovechkin works best when he isn't being forced to carry the puck into the offensive zone himself...yet continues to trot out guys like Brooks Groin (I mean Laich) on the LW of the top line instead of guys like Johannson or newly brought over Kuznetsov who could fill that role. Our bottom 3 D are shit, and Mike Green alternates between 2 games of good to great play versus 8 games of shitty.

Fuck you Grimm
frown.png

No really...fuck you both
frown.png

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Coasting on pure talent at the top. Great power play(hard to have a bad one with Crosby and Malkin out there together) and very good PK. They're out of forwards. Brian Gibbons has played 20+ games on Crosby's wing. That should not happen. He'll be playing with Malkin while Neal is out.

They're top 10 in everything but if you watch the games you can see that the playoffs are gonna get painful. Someone like Gibbons out there instead of a wily vet like Pascal Dupuis or Chris Kunitz is going to hurt a lot.

Barring some miraculous full recoveries by almost all of Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Bennet(yeah, that's 4 top 3 line wingers out), Kris Letang, and Paul Martin they are just going to get outdepthed. Just shit luck with injuries. Again.

Speaking of the PK, it's always really good(except last year=/) and gets no credit for the team's success=P Doesn't fit the narrative.
Well when you put it that way, yea they may have their work cut out come playoffs. Still though, top 10 isnt having a down year in my book. Guess that's obvious though and i'm splitting hairs like a butthurt dweeb.

The only thing more frustrating than losing key players to injuries and wondering what could of been is having one of the best rosters, on paper, in the league and watching them flounder all year. At least Pens have an excuse when they shit the bed. Rangers had a few minor injuries early on, but on the whole have had enough depth to cover the slack.