NHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And here I had written today's game off as a loss several weeks ago.

I still wouldn't want to see the Rags in the playoffs...again.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And here I had written today's game off as a loss several weeks ago.

I still wouldn't want to see the Rags in the playoffs...again.
Weird game. Totally shit the bed at end of the 1st to blow the early lead, not sure what the fuck Carlson was doing on Rags' first goal. Unreal bad turnover. All the penalties seemed to chop up a lot of the first 2 periods to some degree, then we started strong in the 3rd and our third line (Chimera/Fehr/Laich) really dominated. I was going to be happy getting any points out of this game, getting the win was big.

I know right now we'd be matched up with the Rags, but they still have a game in hand on Montreal so they could take top overall seed, and if the Isles lose to Detroit in regulation (nice D in that game, 6 goals in first ~10 minutes) Caps control their destiny to pass them and get out of wildcard spot.

Still, crazy potential match ups. Montreal-Boston (maybe Ottawa), Detroit-Tampa (Stevie Y bowl) in Atlantic, and pretty much any combination in the Metro is going to be good. If we somehow overtake the Isles you could see Battle of NY and Pens/Caps.

Merrith

Sad times when the fucking WWE thread started in Jan has more posts than this one.
They had about 4 new pages 2 nights ago b/c of Wrestlemania I guess.

Shit should pick up in here come playoff time.

Edit: Ovechkin going for 50 goals for 6th time in his career tonight (only 5 other guys have done it), and it would tie him with Peter Bondra for most goals in Caps history.

Merrith

49 goals and a +9, such an accurate representation in stats, of him as a player.
Since your hockey knowledge is so strong...I assume you're just trolling and know it's 50 goals and +11 after tonight. Or that the Art Ross leading Sidney Crosby is a +8 on the season. Or that of the top 6 guys in the Art Ross race, Ovechkin has the best +/- of them all (even before tonight).

Or that +/- in general is a terrible stat that only idiots take too seriously.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm also not sure it even matters that much for a forward. I think it says more about the fact that the Caps for a long time have been an offensively minded team. Otherwise there's no explaining Mike Green.

Merrith

Well, there's Mike Green with his Easton Stealth sticks, and Mike Green without his Easton Stealth sticks.

Seriously, he's literally contacting people through eBay and other means to find anyone that still has any of them, since they were discontinued over a decade ago. For reference, those were the sticks he was using back during his "big" years. Never heard of a guy chasing down a certain stick like that before this long after it was no longer being made.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. an already eliminated Philadelphia Flyers team tonight. Over/Under on number of Penguins injured by dirty and borderline bullshit? I'm setting it at 2.5

Fadaar

That guy
Lightning really don't want that #1 seed. Lets sweep the Habs then lose to the fucking Leafs. Sigh.

Merrith

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. an already eliminated Philadelphia Flyers team tonight. Over/Under on number of Penguins injured by dirty and borderline bullshit? I'm setting it at 2.5
Much as I love the Chief, with Berube behind the Flyers bench you should expect at least some shenanigans. Are you guys still limited to dressing 5D?

Merrith

Subban and Price got abused on the record setting goal tonight. Otherwise Price and Holtby looked a little off from the highlights. Win in regulation at Ottawa Saturday night clinches a playoff spot. Pretty crazy right now we'd have home ice against Isles in Round 1.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I so don't want to see us face Boston in the first round. Out of all the teams likely to make the playoffs in the east, the Bruins seem to play us the best.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
We need to not take penalties vs caps if we face off in playoffs. We had the better team 5v5 by a fair margin but the pp really did some damage.

Merrith

And that, Mike Green, is how you ruin a great comeback from being down 3-0 the first 10 minutes in. Terrible decision.

Malakriss

Should I come give you a cookie, Merr? I'll give you a cookie to make you feel better.

Merrith

Should I come give you a cookie, Merr? I'll give you a cookie to make you feel better.
I would rather you use that cookie to distract whatever went off in Green's head that made him think a way-too-fancy drop pass to the other D man when you're the other D man already committing yourself to the play (during 4 on 4 no less) was a better idea than just putting an uncontested backhand on net. I know he's not great on his backhand, but I'm not expecting him to bury it there, just put the puck on net, and not make the extremely risky play that arguably wouldn't have set up a better look even if it had been successful.

Shit, anything would have been better than giving up a breakaway from their own D zone all the way in on Holtby.

Merrith

Pens just can't beat the Flyers. Scary thought, Ottawa actually controls it's own playoff destiny now. If they win their remaining 4 games (including a win over the Penguins in regulation), they'd be guaranteed to at least finish ahead of Pittsburgh.