NHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm torn, do I root for Toronto to win because any loss by Ottawa locks us up a playoff spot tonight...or knowing the math for us to miss the playoffs is pretty ridiculous at this point, do I root for Ottawa to keep winning to maybe push Pittsburgh out of the playoffs so they can win the lottery for McDavid since they traded their 1st to Edmonton for Perron?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I really thought Ottawa was going to pull it out at the end and be the solid #8. I don't think they're going to make it now. Too much shitty play.

Merrith

I really thought Ottawa was going to pull it out at the end and be the solid #8. I don't think they're going to make it now. Too much shitty play.
Caps clinch! Getting a point was still big for Ottawa. 2 points back of Pitt, Boston, and Detroit all with 3 games to play. They do play Pens though so they can get even with them (although they won't win the tiebreaker).

Heard Ottawa was 19 points back of Pittsburgh on Feb. 12th, next game they'll have a chance to draw even with them. Pretty crazy run no matter how it ends for them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Caps clinch! Getting a point was still big for Ottawa. 2 points back of Pitt, Boston, and Detroit all with 3 games to play. They do play Pens though so they can get even with them (although they won't win the tiebreaker).

Heard Ottawa was 19 points back of Pittsburgh on Feb. 12th, next game they'll have a chance to draw even with them. Pretty crazy run no matter how it ends for them.
Yeah, I think it's a matter of too little, too late. The end of the season has been pretty good for Ottawa. If they played like that all year, they would be three or four spots higher.

Merrith

Yeah, I think it's a matter of too little, too late. The end of the season has been pretty good for Ottawa. If they played like that all year, they would be three or four spots higher.
Even if they don't make it, some things to build on with some of that young talent. Stone, Pageau, couple others have been great this year. Not sure if Hammond is as good as his numbers have been. If his run had been as long as Dubnyk's has been in Minnesota, I'd be more of a long term believer...but he's been quite the spark. 17-1-2 in his first 20 NHL games? Amazing.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm too lazy to figure it out, but I feel like there's a scenario where the Caps end up playing the Pens, Habs, and Rags (1st, 2nd, 3rd round in that order).

If they could somehow make a run through them, it'd be like playoff redemption for the last 6 years or so.

moontayle

Golden Squire
If Buffalo loses tonight they clinch the worst record in the league and a 100% shot at Eichel (20% McDavid).

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm too lazy to figure it out, but I feel like there's a scenario where the Caps end up playing the Pens, Habs, and Rags (1st, 2nd, 3rd round in that order).

If they could somehow make a run through them, it'd be like playoff redemption for thelast 6 years or so.
LOLOLOL! New Caps fan spotted. 6 years....someone has not had playoff hope properly beaten out of them yet.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm pretty sure I started actually following hockey during the 2008-2009 season, because I remember that Rags/Caps wild card round really well. As a DC sports fan, it was nice having a regular playoff team...but then every year my hopes would be crushed in dramatic fashion.

I guess this is the part where you tell me I'm not a real fan because I didn't follow the sport since I was 5.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty awesome that the Sharks are going to miss the playoffs for the first time in 11 years. I guess this really was a rebuilding year.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Aren't you excited Grimm? when the Rangers win the cup everyone is gonna thinkyourteam won from when you got to don their avatar!

YOUR WELCOME

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess this is the part where you tell me I'm not a real fan because I didn't follow the sport since I was 5.
Not even a little bit, I was just pointing out that you are clearly new to being a Caps fan. Long time fans have had their playoff hopes crushed over a much longer timeframe. Usually by the Penguins.

Aren't you excited Grimm? when the Rangers win the cup everyone is gonna thinkyourteam won from when you got to don their avatar!

YOUR WELCOME
Truly a gift.

Merrith

LOLOLOL! New Caps fan spotted. 6 years....someone has not had playoff hope properly beaten out of them yet.
Hey, it's not a bad thing for new fans. Part of me relishes the idea of playing the Isles in Round 1 just to get revenge for the Easter Epic. Still hurts after all these years, although that was right about when I first started following the Caps.

Elurin there actually isn't any scenario where we could play Pens, Habs, and Rags in that order. Definitely could be those 3 teams, but Pens/Rags would have to be the first 2 round (in some order). If we were playing Habs in Round 1 it would be because we were placed in the Atlantic mini bracket as one of the wildcards.

Merrith

It's okay Grimm, that point was actually pretty big. They can't win a tiebreaker with the Pens, so they have to gain 2 points on you guys with 2 to go, and you play Buffalo last game of the season. Not to mention the struggling Isles next. I think you're fine.