NHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Crazy thing is if Pens had held on 3-2 in regulation, them, Isles, and Wings would have all clinched playoff berths last night.

Merrith

Holtby completely in Bruins' heads. You're welcome Ottawa (and Pittsburgh/Detroit/Isles)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reading the game summary and they talked a lot about the records Holtby earned tonight, and I apparently have followed the Caps longer than I remember. There was a mention of Olie the goalie, and I remember that era really well.

I think there was just a period there in the early 2000s that I didn't, and that likely had to do with being in the Army from 02-08.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Holtby hasn't come off as an incessant douche the last few games I saw him play. I like to think Emery humbled him with that smackdown, for no apparent reason other than it making me chuckle.

Merrith

Holtby hasn't come off as an incessant douche the last few games I saw him play. I like to think Emery humbled him with that smackdown, for no apparent reason other than it making me chuckle.
Not sure how you get humbled by a guy straight up attacking you for no reason other than: Flyers losing. Frankly I don't think any number 1 starter in the NHL should get too humble. They need to believe they're in a zone sometimes.

Nice of the Rags to sit Nash and Staal tonight for Ottawa. I'm sure Boston/Detroit/Pittsburgh/Isles are thrilled about that.

Edit: Rags resting Zucc as well.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cmon Flames, get them dbag Kings out of the playoffs. Godamn that would be satisfying. It would also be nice if the Sharks knocked em out in the final game but given our history I'm sure that the Sharks would lose that game.

Merrith

Cmon Flames, get them dbag Kings out of the playoffs. Godamn that would be satisfying. It would also be nice if the Sharks knocked em out in the final game but given our history I'm sure that the Sharks would lose that game.
Flames win in regulation and it locks up spot for them and Winnipeg (eliminating LA) I believe

Merrith

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. They also could be knocked out by losing in regulation to us.
It's just funny with the Kings, on one hand, if they get in...they might be a team to fear because they could get hot and instantly start upsetting teams. On the other hand, they've played so much hockey the last 3 years you just have to wonder if they have any gas left to do any damage even if they sneak in.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's just funny with the Kings, on one hand, if they get in...they might be a team to fear because they could get hot and instantly start upsetting teams. On the other hand, they've played so much hockey the last 3 years you just have to wonder if they have any gas left to do any damage even if they sneak in.
With their run, I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow win another cup. Fucking Kings.

Merrith

With their run, I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow win another cup. Fucking Kings.
You Sharks fans sound as traumatized as us Caps fans sometimes. Like how all of Grimm's brooding and this recent swoon by the Pens is just a smokescreen for the inevitable Cup run that will include overcoming another 2-0 or 3-1 series lead we end up having on them.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
You Sharks fans sound as traumatized as us Caps fans sometimes. Like how all of Grimm's brooding and this recent swoon by the Pens is just a smokescreen for the inevitable Cup run that will include overcoming another 2-0 or 3-1 series lead we end up having on them.
Experiencing the Kings luck over the last few years makes a person bitter. A playoff run that involves the Yotes in the conference final and the Devils in the cup. Snagging Doughty, picking up Carter and Gaborik for dick. The fact that they play a game that actively involves interference which never gets called because...hockey refs.

Yeah. I'm just venting.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Frankly I don't think any number 1 starter in the NHL should get too humble. They need to believe they're in a zone
You can be in the zone without lounging on the crossbar with your mask off squirting water between your teeth in between whistles!

Really just wanted to reconjure the image of fear in his eyes when Emery charged him. Fuck Philly but that had me dieing.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like how all of Grimm's brooding and this recent swoon by the Pens is just a smokescreen for the inevitable Cup run that will include overcoming another 2-0 or 3-1 series lead we end up having on them.
There's no Cup run coming, but something heartbreaking for Caps fans is certainly possible.

Pens are legit bad. Not the bad luck, injuries, 1-2 guys not playing great bad they had last year and earlier this season. Just straight up a bad hockey team. If they make the playoffs they will be the currently worst team in with ease. It's not totally inconceivable that they could go on a run, but they're giving up 31 shots a game for the last month. Fleury's hit the wall, you can't let a guy with his weak constitution face that many clean shots every fucking night. Especially when you aren't scoring. You know they haven't score more than 4 goals in 13 games? They are takinghorribleshots. The old adage about "any shot on goal is a good shot" is being tested by them nightly and proven false.

Pens are bad. It's been really hard to watch them lately. When they went up 3-0 on Ottawa none of the 4 people in the room with me thought they were going to win. Friend canceled his playoff tickets after the 2nd Flyers game Sunday. Hopes a low=P

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Loving this game vs Ottawa. Pretty much win/win and assuming we lose tonight it sets the stakes for saturdays match vs the caps for the franchise record for points in the regular season.

Merrith

Loving this game vs Ottawa. Pretty much win/win and assuming we lose tonight it sets the stakes for saturdays match vs the caps for the franchise record for points in the regular season.
Depending on what happens in the Isles/Pens game tomorrow night, we might be locked into our spot before that game as well. Florida takes the lead against Boston. Oh man Ottawa must be freaking out.

Fadaar

That guy
Fuck you Detroit for not winning in regulation. Now I need to put my hopes on the Leafs to help the Lightning get first place. I cry at the thought.

Merrith

Detroit and Isles both clinch a spot with Boston's loss. Final 2 spots between Ottawa (97 points, 1 game left), Pittsburgh (96 points, 2 games left), and Boston (95 points, 1 game left).