NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was choked that they didn't get Jones, but I don't see how the team could make an RNH/Jones trade right now, whether or not Nashville would be interested in RNH. I don't think most people outside of Edmonton realize how important RNH is to the team. Last year he was basically the only "untouchable" in many people's opinions. He doesn't put up huge numbers offensively, but he's asked to play against top competition night in and night out. Are McDavid and Draisatl going to be playing 40-50 minutes a night between them in a year or two? Absolutely! But not this year, and not next. Fuck, McDavid isn't even back yet. Running Draisatl, Lander, Letestu, and uh, Hendricks is not viable. They tried having only two NHL centers to start the 2014/15 season, and that resulted in the organization firing everyone when the team face planted.

In any case, you can never have too much center depth either. San Jose was a damn good team for a long time, with 5-6 very good natural centers. Maybe they run 3 scoring lines when McDavid comes back, or Draisatl moves back over to wing?

In any case, if McDavid and Draisatl were a year or two further along then yeah, no question the Oilers would have been going after Jones hard. But the timing just didn't work. Ah well.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They have enough young depth / picks to get him, that player is the definition of what the Oilers are lacking. I think I will riot if they get Mathews this year.
Yeah they do, was just commenting on who would be good enough for a 1 to 1 trade. Oil are not moving McDavid. Literally not going to happen for basically any sane price. Draisaitl I'm not sure has enough games that Nashville would move Jones for him 1 to 1.

Agreed that Oilers could add to the package and make a deal happen with RNH, but I feel like this was a deal that had been discussed for awhile and both GM's finally pulled the trigger. Each team benefits and gets something they need.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I wonder where stamkos and drouin are gonna end up. I dont think Yzerman will trade them to anyone in the same division, so probably a western team? I would've said nashville, but with the trade that just happened, that goes out the window.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I wonder where stamkos and drouin are gonna end up. I dont think Yzerman will trade them to anyone in the same division, so probably a western team? I would've said nashville, but with the trade that just happened, that goes out the window.
Gonna be another Captain swap! Mac, Kreider, Hayes and Yandle for the pair! Then I will get back to back to back blowies from Jlaw, win powerball and buy my own team! Make pretend is fun....

I know Gorton was pitching a package deal when we were in town but I can't see us getting Stamkos without at least giving up Nash. I can't really see that happening though. Drouin for Yandle+ is a bit more realistic, and would be a nice catalyst for us to deal Kreider elsewhere.

Merrith

Gonna be another Captain swap! Mac, Kreider, Hayes and Yandle for the pair! Then I will get back to back to back blowies from Jlaw, win powerball and buy my own team! Make pretend is fun....

I know Gorton was pitching a package deal when we were in town but I can't see us getting Stamkos without at least giving up Nash. I can't really see that happening though. Drouin for Yandle+ is a bit more realistic, and would be a nice catalyst for us to deal Kreider elsewhere.
Haha that fake trade is as funny as one some Rangers peeps at BSB I think were kicking around...something like Lundqvist and Girardi for Holtby and Ovechkin. The worst part is I think some of those weirdos seriously thought that was a legit equal trade.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, that 5 seconds left goal by Backstrom from Kuzy to tie it up. And the game winner was classic Ovi. Caps just keep finding ways to win.

Also, the most bizarre thing. I was watching the highlights for today's game and it showed that Ovi was at 498 goals. IswearI watched him hit 500. So apparently I'm now having hockey dreams...

Merrith

Man, that 5 seconds left goal by Backstrom from Kuzy to tie it up. And the game winner was classic Ovi. Caps just keep finding ways to win.

Also, the most bizarre thing. I was watching the highlights for today's game and it showed that Ovi was at 498 goals. IswearI watched him hit 500. So apparently I'm now having hockey dreams...
The goal in the 1st was his 498th, OT winner was 499. Gets to go for 500 tomorrow. Ridiculous game.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, at some point this week I had a vivid dream about watching goal 500. Try to follow my story Merrith.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it was a good game. Idk what is going on with Lundqvist, he just hasn't looked himself since early November. Girardi gave the puck away sure, but Hank was way out of position and has been playing this way far too often. Stay in the fucking net. Backstrome goal was just bad. His stick needs to be down there protecting his 5 hole. I get that there should of been a timeout and people were tired but cmon, no excuses there. O.T. goal doesn't go in if it's not off Ovies stick. That dude is in Hanks head like no other. Every. Fucking. Game.....

Holtby on the other hand (assuming he got a peice of that Mac/Nash 2 on 1) probably won the game. He is on a whole other level this season. I miss having good goaltending = /

Merrith

Yeah, it was a good game. Idk what is going on with Lundqvist, he just hasn't looked himself since early November. Girardi gave the puck away sure, but Hank was way out of position and has been playing this way far too often. Stay in the fucking net. Backstrome goal was just bad. His stick needs to be down there protecting his 5 hole. I get that there should of been a timeout and people were tired but cmon, no excuses there. O.T. goal doesn't go in if it's not off Ovies stick. That dude is in Hanks head like no other. Every. Fucking. Game.....

Holtby on the other hand (assuming he got a peice of that Mac/Nash 2 on 1) probably won the game. He is on a whole other level this season. I miss having good goaltending = /
Girardi has to get the lion's share of the blame on that goal. No idea wtf he was doing.

Lundqvist has given up 20 regular season goals to Ovechkin, most of any goaltender during Ovie's career.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Technically, sure. But Girardi gon Girardi so i'll leave that dead horse be. I literally expect that type of shit from him. The King, on the other hand, has been playing more like a princess.

Malakriss

Ovechkin with 500 and 501, takes over the goal lead with 26 this season. Poor Ottawa.

Merrith

Well Skins died today, but at least it's after Jan 1st, so Ovechkin has taken over the goals lead again, and with #500 and #501 to boot. Just burying Ottawa. Let the march to the President's Trophy and the inevitable blown 3-1 series lead commence.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well Skins died today, but at least it's after Jan 1st, so Ovechkin has taken over the goals lead again, and with #500 and #501 to boot. Just burying Ottawa. Let the march to the President's Trophy and the inevitable blown 3-1 series lead commence.
Sounds like a Caps season to me!

Merrith

Sounds like a Caps season to me!
Actually I think this may be a bit of a different year. Hard to predict who will win the Cup each year, because goalies get hot (or cold) and bounces can affect any close series. I don't think we'll be a team that blows a 3-1 lead this year though. I expect a run to the Conference Finals at least, assuming moderately good health (and hopefully get back Orpik/Carlson at some point). The Richards move will bear watching as well.

Merrith

Holtby's ranking on those seems low. But given how they rate these type of things, not surprising.

Merrith

I keep waiting for the Caps to go through a bad spell. Hasn't happened yet. I pray it doesn't show up in April/May.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, at some point this week I had a vivid dream about watching goal 500. Try to follow my story Merrith.
Maybe you were thinking of him breaking the Russian scoring record? Didn't he do it twice because a goal was disallowed?