NHL 2021-22 Season - Now A Turner Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That was an awesome game. I don’t the shots reflect the game because I feel Colorado were way more dominant than shots shows. Overtime was theirs though, it’s like Tempa barely did anything.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That was an awesome game. I don’t the shots reflect the game because I feel Colorado were way more dominant than shots shows. Overtime was theirs though, it’s like Tempa barely did anything.

Yeah, it was weird, it felt like Colorado was manhandling them all game, but the score didn't reflect it. Is it just goaltending deciding this cup?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Tampa won the first 2 periods. We started slipping 3rd and OT was garbage.

• 1Like

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Vasilevskiy is keeping Tampa in this, he really is a cheat code. Tampa did a few good things this game (especially keeping the puck in their offensive zone, resulting in several multi minute shifts for Colorado) but otherwise Colorado was great all game. OT was totally 1 sided

• 1Truth!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Conditioning? You think it's stamina?
100%

Avs are 100% the more conditioned, more talented team. The Lightning fight with an admirable desperation which tends to get them through teams that stack the odds against them.

Oh and Vassy.

Unfortunately Avs are too perfectly crafted a team this season. It really is unbelievable.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
LFG!!!

More thoughts tomorrow from me, not sure what game some of you were watching. Avs were lucky to stay in the game during the first 3 periods. They did dominate OT though.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
My full take, Avs very lucky they won. Agree with Penance Penance the Lightning won both P1 and P2. P3 was a closer game, why no goals were scored, and OT was one sided for the Avs.

- Avs were skating around with pool noodles for sticks, trying to one hand dainty swipe at loose pucks.
- Not sure how many times they tried a far side cycle in their defensive end, just to have 3 forwards on one side and the Lightning D walk right down to the hashes and be wide open with time to setup the next shot.
- Too many clearing attempts that had nothing on them, just to be kept in at the blue line and sent right back into the corner.
- I don't think this one is the Avs fault, but they were falling all over themselves. I think this is a difference in the ice from Denver to TB, and they were losing edges. Softer ice means a slower puck and harder for skaters like Makar and MacKinnon to maneuver.
- Soft goaltending for the Avs, Keumper should have stopped Hedman's goal. Lucky it was just the one, and he tightened up afterwards.
- Goal #1 for the Lightning showed they came to play, and was a good no-call on stoppage with Keumper without a helmet. Had it ricochet off him and out of the crease area, then a stop would have been ok, but it landed on Cirelli's stick with a full side of empty net to look at.
- Pretty sure MacKinnon gave up on trying to score, and was aiming at Lightning players skates.

On the conditioning topic, I am not sure it's a simple they are more fit issue. Avs swept two teams, had a longer break before the series, and are just beat up less than the Lightning. They do get to play at 5000ft, so that does make a difference, but overall play time the Lightning have 3 games more played in the same short period of time.

Last edited:

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL so apparently there was too many men on the ice?

Here come all the 04 Calgary fans screaming karma. (Paralax you fucks)

Oh well. It sucks for the players but you gotta let this kind of shit go as a fan. It hurts to not have Brayden Point, it hurts to not have the calls in your favor. Its always the odds against you as a fan. You have no control over any of this shit just gotta smile and nod, take the licks. I don't take anything away from the Avs on this. The refs, as usual all playoffs are pathetic.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its kinda funny how all the bad luck the Avs had the last few years, is now working in their favor. The Landeskog goal that was disallowed vs the Sharks because of too many men when he was stepping onto the bench. Or last year with all their goalies getting hurt. This year they play all back up goalies and cruise to the final. And win a game in OT with too many men on the ice. Sucks for Tampa the series should be 2-2. Hopefully they can make it interesting and not lose Friday but I dont see that happening.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
There were too many men on the ice for sure. MacKinnon was pretty far when Kadri got on. That said, there were no mention on if during the game on Sportsnet, there were no complaints on the Tampa bench when it happened. Only after the game during his press conference, so basically noone noticed until after the game. So it's a missed call but everyone missed it not just the referees.

As for the refereeing in this game, the referees put their whistle away in the 3rd/OT and both sides got a lot of missed calls, that's bad but at least referees were consistent that way. This probably benefited Tampa way more than Avalanche as Tampa PP is shit right now, and Avalanche is way better. If all calls were made, I think Avalanche would have won in regulation.

I have no horse in this race, I'm a Habs fan. I'm watching this because it's 2 amazing teams and great hockey.

• 2Like

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Not 100% Habs, as Roy was on the Avs when he said it, but best trash talk quote ever. I even laughed and Roenick is my fav player ever.

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just saw another clip of the Kadri goal, Tampa had 7 players on the ice while Avalanche had 6. Maybe Cooper shut up. :)

24DA1575-1699-4F92-83C1-4C99399B405C.jpeg

• 2Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except tampa didn't touch the puck? Kadri was a fresh change which is why he is inside the defense.

I just find it ironic because that's a staple TB penalty.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Tampa scored with 7 players on the ice in Game 7 last year vs the Islanders (a game they won 1-0). Not uncommon for these penalties to not be called. Refs probably felt Mackinnon was close enough to the bench and they were not calling a thing after about 10 mins left in the 3rd. Cooper's mostly just saying these things to deflect any media attention/questions so his guys can focus on the next game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tampa scored with 7 players on the ice in Game 7 last year vs the Islanders (a game they won 1-0). Not uncommon for these penalties to not be called. Refs probably felt Mackinnon was close enough to the bench and they were not calling a thing after about 10 mins left in the 3rd. Cooper's mostly just saying these things to deflect any media attention/questions so his guys can focus on the next game.
Agreed no point in crying about spilt milk.

Still...

1656021413146.png

But really it's moot because TB was getting thrashed in OT anyway. If we were the ones thrashing and they came back with a single SOG and this was it I'd have a lot harder time swallowing this pill.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You would think they could implement some tech to avoid this. Have them all wear sensors, and if is there more than six on the ice it's automatically flagged. You could make the bench area a neutral zone.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its kinda funny how all the bad luck the Avs had the last few years, is now working in their favor. The Landeskog goal that was disallowed vs the Sharks because of too many men when he was stepping onto the bench. Or last year with all their goalies getting hurt. This year they play all back up goalies and cruise to the final. And win a game in OT with too many men on the ice. Sucks for Tampa the series should be 2-2. Hopefully they can make it interesting and not lose Friday but I dont see that happening.

Don't know about series SHOULD be 2-2...they just maybe should have been playing OT longer. Agree with most here, though, it would be kind of a weird call when both teams had extra guys on (no surprise given first OT is the long change period like the 2nd in regulation).