NHL 2021-22 Season - Now A Turner Classic

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
While Kuemper was very sharp for this game, the defense on that team is just crazy. I think Tampa Bay had 3 shots actually make it to the goal in the entire third period. Everyone laying down and blocking the shots. Very cool.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
What do you mean?
I'm a bit biased being an Avs fan, but I'm guessing he's talking about a fast skilled team vs more gimmick teams such as trap forecheck, transition only offense, clutch and grab, or other styles. Avs were fast, played well both in transition and with offensive possession. They took relatively few penalties and made the most of their power plays. They had a good mix of drafted players and trade vets. Overall they played a pretty enjoyable game to watch no matter your rooting interests.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I'm a bit biased being an Avs fan, but I'm guessing he's talking about a fast skilled team vs more gimmick teams such as trap forecheck, transition only offense, clutch and grab, or other styles. Avs were fast, played well both in transition and with offensive possession. They took relatively few penalties and made the most of their power plays. They had a good mix of drafted players and trade vets. Overall they played a pretty enjoyable game to watch no matter your rooting interests.
Not being an Avs fan, I will just say that watching them in the playoffs, it always felt like they had an extra guy on the ice (I'm not being a jerk about the ignored calls). Their guys just seemed to move faster and their offensive flow seemed better put together than the other teams. Was certainly a sight to behold.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Another thing I personally like is long stretches of play. The announcers even commented about it with 7+ minutes without a whistle. That's on both teams so props to TB as well for letting me watch the kind of hockey I like best.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
That was an awesome series. I'm curious what Colorado will do now in the off-season. Kadri, Nichuskin, Burakovsky & Kuemper are all UFAs this year. MacKinnon is on his last year, and has said he would take a discount but how much of a discount? Lehkonen is also an RFA and they have a few other UFAs to deal with. Will be a busy off-season of Sakic.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Nichushkin had the kind of postseason UFAs dream of. It will be hard for the Avs to keep him with second line money. Similarly Kadri's regular season and his improved attitude should get him better than 2nd line offers. I would expect the Avs to try and keep one of the two. I think they'll try to resign at least two of the four Burky, Aube-Kubel, Cogliano, and Lehkonen. Really hard to say since the bottom lines were really productive this postseason so all their stock is up. At least the D corp is in good shape contractually with Cale and Sammy G locked in and everyone else with another year or two. Kuemper proved he can win but I don't know if he showed anything super special to command top goalie money. We let Grub walk last year so who knows what Sakic thinks when it comes to goalies.

The Minnesota boy in me would really like to see Meyers step up to fill Naz or Val's shoes but I think that's a few years away still if ever.

I hope Mac's mentorship from Sid convinces him to stay on one team.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1656639260121.png

Good luck to him. Would be cool to see Detroit start to be good again. The next couple of years should be interesting.

Remember last few SCFs that Colorado has won Detroit has won it the next year...

• 1Cringe

Dalc

Molten Core Raider
Dude, I'm a Toronto fan. I understand the struggle.
Talent of TOR's roster is so much higher than DET's. Just the frustrating part... Coach doesn't fix these issues. What "low gear" players does this new coach need to kick into gear? The ceiling is there. Larkin, Bertuzzi, Raymond, Seider, Vrana.
They preformed well last year. Not sure there is any higher ceiling. Guess it's possible.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Lots of UFA's on the market though. I expect Detroit to make big moves this year.

It's going to be a few more years before Detroit is competitive, I don't expect them to go after any big UFAs this year. It's more likely that they take on a bloated contract or two with a year to go in exchange for picks or prospects.

McDonagh to Detroit?!

Ok GIF

I'd rather sign Staal for 1 more year.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
It's funny.

This girl I met country dancing in Denver @ at the Grizzly Rose and got her IG then never talked to after that.

She pops up with her dad in my feed with the TB suites for the playoffs then on top of a fire ladder for the parade. Had no idea her dad had his own wikipedia and was a big wig for the Avalanche.