NHL 2021 Irregular Season and Plagueoffs

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yet you read all over reddit and what not that he got "far less of the head than wilson did" and that "the head wasn't the principal point of contact" like Wilson's hit was. Just crazy.

I see an image like this of Wilson's hit at first contact:

wilson%2Bcarlo.png

and wonder what the fuck people are talking about. League needs to flat out just say that if follow-through from a hit has head contact and it causes injury they will suspend for that. Because that is how they will reduce the majority of these hits across the board.

Wilson was aiming high and while the initial point of contact was not Carlo's head, that's where most of the force went. Wilson brushed Carlo's shoulder and sandwiched Carlo's head between him and the glass.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wilson was aiming high and while the initial point of contact was not Carlo's head, that's where most of the force went. Wilson brushed Carlo's shoulder and sandwiched Carlo's head between him and the glass.

He did a lot more than brush the shoulder, b/c he hit him hard basically in the armpit area. Even in their video they stated that it didn't fit check to the head because that's not where the majority of the hit was, that it was a full body check. Carlo didn't help himself dipping his head forward looking down for the puck, didn't really think the actual aiming was all that high. Still think Wilson's main problem is just that he blows straight through guys shoulders/bodies because of his size/force. The hit on ZAR in the playoffs was a similar situation where they go shoulder to shoulder, but he blasts straight through it.

But this is why their video explanation has to dance around trying to find a certain rule to apply a suspension with, because they need to update the rules and just state that any head contact that results in something like this will get penalized/suspended going forward. It'll change the game a lot, but if they are serious about eliminating this stuff that is what they are going to have to do. Too many hits that are not actually targeting the head still end up in concussions/injuries.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
But this is why their video explanation has to dance around trying to find a certain rule to apply a suspension with, because they need to update the rules and just state that any head contact that results in something like this will get penalized/suspended going forward. It'll change the game a lot, but if they are serious about eliminating this stuff that is what they are going to have to do. Too many hits that are not actually targeting the head still end up in concussions/injuries.

A change in the rules is definitely needed. They have the automatic double minor for high sticks that cause injury, so adding an additional penalty to any check that involves contact to the head and results in injury doesn't sound far fetched to me.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

A change in the rules is definitely needed. They have the automatic double minor for high sticks that cause injury, so adding an additional penalty to any check that involves contact to the head and results in injury doesn't sound far fetched to me.

I think it needs to happen. When they have to dance around so much to try and find stuff to penalize when injuries are happening something is wrong.

Caps' Wilson suspended 7 games for Carlo hit

The department of player safety initially evaluated Wilson's hit on whether it was a check-to-the-head penalty. That wouldn't have been a solid case, based on the rule: Carlo's head wasn't the primary point of contact, and it appeared Wilson was attempting a full bodycheck rather than "picking" the head of his opponent.

But the hit was analyzed and scrutinized internally until the NHL settled on a penalty that had a better chance to earn Wilson a suspension: a boarding infraction.

According to the criteria for Rule 41 on boarding, Wilson's hit caused Carlo to "impact the boards violently," and it was argued that Carlo was "in a defenseless position" that should have resulted in Wilson minimizing contact.

According to multiple sources, this is the first NHL boarding suspension in recent memory that didn't involve a player hitting an opponent from behind.

Too much of that reads as DoPS couldn't find the blatantly illegal parts to the hit they wanted to for a suspension, so kinda figured it out on the fly. If they amend the rules, they won't have to set new precedent on the fly.

• 1Salty

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Too much of that reads as DoPS couldn't find the blatantly illegal parts to the hit they wanted to for a suspension, so kinda figured it out on the fly. If they amend the rules, they won't have to set new precedent on the fly.

That's ESPN's assumption, that the DoPS was fishing for a suspension. That plays right in to Wilson defenders' belief that he is being singled out not because he has earned the scrutiny, but because the DoPS just doesn't like him.

Merrith

That's ESPN's assumption, that the DoPS was fishing for a suspension. That plays right in to Wilson defenders' belief that he is being singled out not because he has earned the scrutiny, but because the DoPS just doesn't like him.

That was from Wyshynski himself, who I gather has some access to the discussion? Also there's the simple fact that the actual rule cited was for boarding, and that it was the first one that wasn't for a hit from behind (when it comes to boarding) in recent memory to result in a suspension. Along with the line in the video itself talking about how there are many aspects of the hit that may be on the line of not suspension worthy.

It's entirely possible for someone to have earned higher scrutiny, while at the same time also having slightly different rules applied to them. Again, I'm all for them finding a better way to get more of the hits that injure guys out of the game, but they need to update their rules to account for what is actually happening on the ice.

• 1Salty

Merrith

I'll say one thing, nice having fans back at some of these games. Caps got handed a really weird goalie interference call that looked to be total bullshit and actual "ref you suck" chant started by Philly crowd. Not sure what % capacity they are allowing but any is better than none.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll say one thing, nice having fans back at some of these games. Caps got handed a really weird goalie interference call that looked to be total bullshit and actual "ref you suck" chant started by Philly crowd. Not sure what % capacity they are allowing but any is better than none.

Definitely better to have at least a few fans in the stands. A friend and my brother in law went to a local ECHL game a few years ago that had been rescheduled due to a snowstorm and there were maybe 100 people in the stands. They parked their asses behind the opposing goalie and heckled him for the entire game and you know he could hear every word. I'm still pissed I had to miss that game due to work.

Next season better happen and allow fans in again.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Definitely better to have at least a few fans in the stands. A friend and my brother in law went to a local ECHL game a few years ago that had been rescheduled due to a snowstorm and there were maybe 100 people in the stands. They parked their asses behind the opposing goalie and heckled him for the entire game and you know he could hear every word. I'm still pissed I had to miss that game due to work.

Next season better happen and allow fans in again.

Said there were actually some Caps fans that made the trip up to Philly and got in tonight, hopefully they'll allow some in DC before the end of the year.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Looks like he hit him square in the chin with his back. No way he's not getting a call for that.
I was watching this live and it really looked to me like he hit him in the chest and his head snapped back from that contact. It's really close. I think if he doesn't leave the ground it's not even a penalty.

Here's the best snip I could get of the video. You can see his arm is into the back of Murphy, so there's at least some contact to the chest.
1615190267096.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I was watching this live and it really looked to me like he hit him in the chest and his head snapped back from that contact. It's really close. I think if he doesn't leave the ground it's not even a penalty.

Here's the best snip I could get of the video. You can see his arm is into the back of Murphy, so there's at least some contact to the chest.
View attachment 340642

Rewatched that a few times and it still looks to me like Murphy's shoulders go right to his face. If Murphy had leaned forward he could have gotten in a good hip check and nobody would be talking about it.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To be fair cernak's always finding ways to get fucked up on the ice. He likes to play the enforcer but then wants to make head down plays.

That hit was brutal though. In another time it would've been OK but in today's game when you got people the size of maroon and Wilson skating around you you can't allow players to follow through on hits like that.

Merrith

He doesn't leave the ice until after contact, I know a lot o people get confused by that, but it's a big difference between a guy actually leaping into a hit versus skates coming of the ice after contact.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hope these changes go through. The draft lottery is such a joke right now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Yeah those all sound like good changes. Frankly what happened to Detroit last year was pretty shit, and no one wants another Edmonton situation

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah those all sound like good changes. Frankly what happened to Detroit last year was pretty shit, and no one wants another Edmonton situation

It will be just our luck that the changes go through after we're done being utter shit and move up to mediocrity.

• 1Like