NHL 2021 Irregular Season and Plagueoffs

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

The hits just keep coming for Buffalo.
wv3lpsLXZZUAw.gif

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tom Wilson And A New Era For Women’s Hockey | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

First 10 minutes has a lot about Wilson hit, but also gets deeper into sort of what we were talking about, even suggesting the possibility of not allowing any more hitting along the boards at some point in the not so distant future (I can't imagine it goes that far anytime soon, but its hard to disagree completely with how it gets laid out as an idea in the podcast).

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Hopefully this turns out good for us cord cutters. Games on ESPN+ would be nice. I know they are already doing that this season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

If you try to watch a hockey game on NBCsports via browser it still tries to load adobe flash.

This is despite the delayed playoffs from 2020 being on a totally acceptable HTML5 platform. Bring on better options i say.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Toronto is sucking the balls of a donkey for a week in a row. It's the time in the season where things start to matter. Time for them to begin to disappoint.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>

Hopefully this turns out good for us cord cutters. Games on ESPN+ would be nice. I know they are already doing that this season.
I am not a fan of this, though I get it's good for cord cutters and for more exposure for the game. However, I don't know if the trade off with ESPNs commentators is worth it. I really am not thrilled to hear the announcers/commentators decry the lack of diversity during every single game which most likely will be the case based on how ESPN acts for the other sports' games they show.

• 1Picard

Fadaar

That guy
If you try to watch a hockey game on NBCsports via browser it still tries to load adobe flash.

This is despite the delayed playoffs from 2020 being on a totally acceptable HTML5 platform. Bring on better options i say.

didnt Adobe officially quit supporting flash starting this year?

• 1Like

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>
Picard me as much as you like. I just want to watch sports or sports news without the commentators lecturing us (the audience) about political BS. All of the major networks do it, Fox and NBC included, but ESPN is especially egregious. And, their ratings attest to it. I pretty much only watch hockey these days and I've been dreading ESPN getting the national rights ever since it was rumored they were in the mix for the new TV deal.

I mean, I'm a woman, but I really didn't need almost every game I've watched this last week harping on women in hockey just because National Women's Day. It will be 100 times worse once on ESPN. If you like your sportscasters telling you how much you suck, or you can easily ignore it, good for you.

• 1Picard

Merrith

Picard me as much as you like. I just want to watch sports or sports news without the commentators lecturing us (the audience) about political BS. All of the major networks do it, Fox and NBC included, but ESPN is especially egregious. And, their ratings attest to it. I pretty much only watch hockey these days and I've been dreading ESPN getting the national rights ever since it was rumored they were in the mix for the new TV deal.

I mean, I'm a woman, but I really didn't need almost every game I've watched this last week harping on women in hockey just because National Women's Day. It will be 100 times worse once on ESPN. If you like your sportscasters telling you how much you suck, or you can easily ignore it, good for you.

Just think it's pointless to get mad at things that haven't even happened yet. It'll also be far more likely to create a perception becoming reality situation b/c you'll end up hypersensitive to any mention of anything even remotely close to what you're looking for. But can always not watch, too. I'd prefer espn to actually cover hockey like they should be (obviously jury still out to see if that changes with them getting the rights now, too), and will be curious to see what happens. If new TV deal helps make the cap go back up, I'll be happy, it'll lets the Caps retain more guys.

Back to actual hockey news happening in the hear and now...Caps tried to give one away tonight, squeaked it out in OT. 3 out of 4 East games end up in OT or SO for 3 point games. Sucks.

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>
I get what you're saying, just not optimistic.

Also back to hockey, the Stars are so uneven it's driving me crazy. 6-1 up on the Hawks atm. Granted, Malcolm Subban isn't a great goalie but he's been mostly solid recently. It's just hard to be happy with our team because they will have one or two really good games, then suck, then be mediocre, then suck some more and then have a good game or two again. We really miss Hintz when he's not in the lineup and he has some injury that needs like a month off but they can't afford to give it to him.

The issue is, if teams aren't able to finish the season, they have already said they are going by winning percentages again. And we have the hardest schedule left in our division because of our covid problems at the beginning and our freak weather last month. It's going to take Chicago and both Columbus and Nashville completely crapping the bed for us to have a shot at the playoffs again.

Merrith

Hopefully athletes get vaccines out before the regular season is over and they'll be able to finish. I mean I get why they'd go by points % if not, but given how unbalanced some of these divisional schedules have been for certain teams, definitely some uneven schedules will have been played as far as opponent difficulty.

• 1Truth!

Merrith

Merrith Merrith Good lord the caps are just playing with fire on the regular this year, what lackadaisical defense in the third

I'm not going to bitch too hard just because we did get the win in the end, but it's like having to reteach ourselves the lesson over and over about not blowing leads. Jersey was all fucking over us in that 3rd period.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully athletes get vaccines out before the regular season is over and they'll be able to finish. I mean I get why they'd go by points % if not, but given how unbalanced some of these divisional schedules have been for certain teams, definitely some uneven schedules will have been played as far as opponent difficulty.
I just can't imagine them dealing with vaccines in season. The second dose especially has been knocking people on their asses, and I can't image that would be good for players that are playing 3-5 games a week.

• 1Like

Merrith

I just can't imagine them dealing with vaccines in season. The second dose especially has been knocking people on their asses, and I can't image that would be good for players that are playing 3-5 games a week.

This is true

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Currently pay $240.00 a month for a basic Verizon Fios bundle, and I only watch hockey. 19 bucks a month for Hulu premium/Disney and ESPN+? Shut up and take my money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Problem is the NFL can make a lot more money selling the TV rights than they could trying to do their own streaming thing. Until the TV networks can't afford to shell out billions for 5 months worth of games we're stuck with it. Now if the NFL was able to make that same amount of money selling NFL Sunday Ticket completely independent of media providers? We'd be golden.