Nintendo 3DS News, Games, etc.

Siliconemelons

still need 100 coins...what cheap arse wiiu game can I buy that will get me points and not suck... do digi downloads count to coins? I want met prime as much as I will hate installing my sensor bar to play.

Metroid prime + occulus rift would be ammmaazzzing

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
MH4U demo out for everybody today. Its hard going back to DS after the WiiU :\ Time to prepare my hands for carpal tunnel all over again.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Amazon is supposed to drop mine off then. Pretty stoked, even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to be trashed at a friend's party most of the evening. But Saturday should be quite enjoyable.

spronk

FPS noob
Some Targets have received 2-5 of the new Majora Mask 3DS XL units but the register has a street date of 2/13 and won't let the item be sold until then. So just a heads up if you really want it, may wanna go out and camp that sucka friday morning.

Best Buy still hasn't shipped mine out yet, probably won't get it until next week now

3ds-majora-back.png

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I realllllly want to get one for Xenoblade Chronicles ....but I don't care for Majora's Mask, and I also don't want a plain red/black one....here's to hoping for a special JRPG one!

edit: i am dumb

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't coming to New 3DS, it's Wii U only.

There is a port of the first Xenoblade game coming to N3DS though.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
So if I want to buy the new monster hunter for 3ds, I should buy the circle pad pro also?

Needless

Toe Sucker
I haven't gotten a call that my MH4 new 3DS has been cancelled so thats good.. hoping i don't get a phone call in the next couple days still lol

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
First time poster here.

I bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for 3DS quite a while back, pretty much because of the glowing review by ProJared. He really made it sound like my type of game. However, when I started playing, I found a few things kind of bugged me:

- There's just SO MUCH to learn. There are systems on top of systems on top of systems, and you don't even get to familiarize yourself with one before 2 more are added. It gets pretty intimidating when, after a few hours of playing, I'm trying to remember tidbits that had been mentioned earlier or wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe the game is designed for people who are familiar with the series, but it certainly isn't easy to just pick up and get into for a series newbie.

- The controls seem oddly archaic. Your protagonist controls like a tank, and a lot of the attacks have long animations involving movement that make it surprisingly difficult to aim precisely. I felt like I was playing a 1st generation N64 game, which was weird for a series that has had many iterations and tons of time to refine their controls into something more intuitive. To be fair, I don't have the circle pad pro, and I'm now considering getting one if it will make a big difference.

- I know it's part of the mechanics, but I can't stand when games have "damage/sharpness" meters on weapons and "hunger/stamina" meters on my character. It bugs the crap out of me to know that every action I take is costing me something I will need to replenish, forcing either a time limit per trip or planning/preparation to make sure I won't run out of anything. I get that that adds tension and forces the player to consider what they do with their time more carefully, but I'm the type of player that likes to take my time, explore as much as possible and not have to worry about arbitrary limitations (probably why I never cleared Majora's Mask).

Now, I imagine if I stick with it, get used to the mechanics so they become second nature, get immersed in the various systems enough that they start to make sense and become less intimidating, and get a circle pad pro for more comfortable control, I'll probably really love the game. But that's a really high barrier to have to get over just to start having the fun I hear so much about. For comparison, Disgaea was easier to get into and offered more satisfaction earlier on, and that's one of the deepest, most entertaining series I've played.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
If you aren't getting the New 3DS, yea...a circle pad pro is pretty much required because of the camera.
MH4U has a lock-on function so it's not completely required like it was for MH3 on 3DS.

The N3DS has a 2nd control stick so not needed.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I picked up the "new" 3DS today and messed around for a few minutes. The 3D is much improved over the previous models. I couldn't stand to play 3D games on the older one, as the sweet spot was ridiculously small. Venture out of it even slightly, and the image would break up in various annoying ways. The 3D on the new one is rock solid unless you get really extreme with the angle. It'll be nice to actually enjoy playing 3D games in 3D now.

spronk

FPS noob
Got my majora mask 3DS and LE game today from gamestop, ordered on friday so pretty impressive speed. Took about 45 minutes to do the system transfer and unscrew the back and install the new microSD card, lot of confusing shit but I guess Nintendo gotta be Nintendo. Still the system looks very nice, I installed the Hori screen protector and TPU case (ordered the latter from japan a few weeks ago) so I don't get it scratched up like my ALBW 3DS XL.

Gonna check out MH4 and MM this week and then toss the new 3DS XL back on my desk where it sits untouched for weeks at a time. Like everything but the new stylus (old one is WAY better) and the location of the power button, its on the bottom and easy to accidently press when putting the stylus back in.

I do wish it woulda been purple instead of gold, gold is just so gaudy. If you get a regular black/red you can buy a pretty bitchin skin here
Nintendo 3DS LL Skins | DecalGirl

12 year old me thinks this is the fuckin shit

n3dsll-blkbook.jpg

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
So I traded my collection of old games and handheld consoles for a new 3DS XL MH4U edition - anyone recommend a microsd card for it? Wish the extended battery in my old one worked in this.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Get the biggest class 10 you can afford. If its bigger than 32gb, format to fat32 and the 3ds will read it. Can google around and find a program that will let you do that. Think I used minitool partition wizard cause its a free download.

Sandisk is a fine brand name if that's what you're looking for.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Many thanks, grabbed the 64 GB version of the type Man0warr linked and will format it to fat32.