Nintendo 3DS News, Games, etc.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
My two cents:

All the fire emblem games are pretty good, and yeah they are strategy RPGs with a ton of characters/classes to choose from. Awakening is great, Fates has a trash story but the best gameplay.

Can't comment on life sim games other than I've heard good things about Fantasy Life.

Monster Hunter games are kinda like a Souls game in that the combat is deliberate and you are punished for mistakes, but that's about all they share in common. MH is definitely something you can sink a couple hundred hours into. All you really do though is kill stuff, collect its drops, make better gear with said drops then fight tougher monsters. The combat is really good though, it has a lot of depth and each weapon plays very differently.

If you are into JRPGs, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and it's semi-sequel SMT4: Apocalypse are both solid games. You create a party of demons that you can customize with different abilities and shit, tradition turn based gameplay.

3DS library is pretty big at this point, it's a great system imo. Can't wait for that new Metroid game coming in September.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates are pretty hilarious when you restart or replay the game to correctly ship characters together to create OP children. It's a kind of eugenics simulator.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I went ahead and grabbed Monster Hunter 4 because they had a used copy for $15. They did have a copy of SMT4: Apocalypse as well for.. 22 or something, but I thought I would check a couple reviews first to see if it looked like something I would get into. They wanted $55 for a used copy of Fire Emblem Awakenings....

I also thought I would check back on here before I invested a ton in games to see if anyone answered the "Is there an easy way to pirate all the games on a sim card or something?" If there is, I'll probably pick up 3 more 2DS XL's and hook my lady and kids up with them. The problem with gaming as a family is, ohh, everyone wants to play Overwatch? That will be $240. Shit gets out of control fast.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
With Best Buy GCU, I'll pick up copies for my son and I usually for close to $40/copy, sometimes better if I'm (or he is) willing to wait a bit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I also thought I would check back on here before I invested a ton in games to see if anyone answered the "Is there an easy way to pirate all the games on a sim card or something?" If there is, I'll probably pick up 3 more 2DS XL's and hook my lady and kids up with them. The problem with gaming as a family is, ohh, everyone wants to play Overwatch? That will be $240. Shit gets out of control fast.

Wii U and 3DS jailbreak is all i know, never done it myself, but pretty thorough discussion there. idk if it works for 2DS XLs instead of 3DSs, tho.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Looks like it has a section for the 2ds xl, I'll look into it and see what it says.
Thanks!

Update: Looks like the software version that comes on the 2DS XL is rough to crack into, much more work than the money it would just cost me to buy what I might want in the future. There is also an option to buy a flashcard that tricks the system into thinking it IS the actual game, but it costs $100+ and requires additional purchases and work if you want to do any online play.

So, for me, it would probably end up being less of a hassle and not too much of a price difference to just buy 4 copies of any games everyone in my family wanted to play together, or buy 1-2 copies of games that could be passed around. If it was just me, and I was planning on playing 10+ games on this thing, sure, I could see doing it, but I'll probably play 5 at most, so /meh.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I ended up getting both kids the non-XL 2DS. They look retarded but play the games just fine. My 5 year old is addicted to Mario Cart 7

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm several years late to getting into handhelds. I bought one of these because my TV's are always hogged and besides later at night I don't just want to sit at my PC. I got a N3DS xl and I'm loving it. I picked up link between world's, Majora's mask, Xenoblade chroniclez, bravely default and Pokemon Omega Ruby. So far only been playing link between world's but goddamn this game is amazing. I actually recently watched my wife beat LTTP again and it feels like a complete continuation of that.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'm several years late to getting into handhelds. I bought one of these because my TV's are always hogged and besides later at night I don't just want to sit at my PC. I got a N3DS xl and I'm loving it. I picked up link between world's, Majora's mask, Xenoblade chroniclez, bravely default and Pokemon Omega Ruby. So far only been playing link between world's but goddamn this game is amazing. I actually recently watched my wife beat LTTP again and it feels like a complete continuation of that.
Yeah, I ended up giving my 3DSXL to my older son and bought my younger son a Refurbished Galaxy 3DSXL because their 2DS' were not compatible with Minecraft, but I told my older son I will be using it from time to time to play Zelda games. Speaking of Zelda I figured I would post this here

Amazon.com: Knights in Hyrule: Brett Register, Dan Martin, Machinima

It isn't award winning or anything but it does make me laugh.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game, it really feels like one of the best Zelda games out there.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, I ended up giving my 3DSXL to my older son and bought my younger son a Refurbished Galaxy 3DSXL because their 2DS' were not compatible with Minecraft, but I told my older son I will be using it from time to time to play Zelda games. Speaking of Zelda I figured I would post this here

Amazon.com: Knights in Hyrule: Brett Register, Dan Martin, Machinima

It isn't award winning or anything but it does make me laugh.
I mean I'm 34, and I realize this is a children's console but playing link between world's takes me right back

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
No judgment by me. I am 41 and I think my Dream Job would be to Stream, but his thing called real life is holding me back.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user