Nintendo releasing a mini version of the classic NES this holiday.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty good list for the most part. Some wtf choices there like Double Dragon 2 over Double Dragon 1 or 3, Super Contra over Contra and Tecmo Bowl over Tecmo Super Bowl but it has Star Tropics which was a pretty awesome Zelda like clone for the time. Hoping someone figures out how to add your own roms to the device to expand it even further.

Cybsled

I beat Kid Icarus legit in era. I remember during the final stages, you had laser arrows or something like that when you fought Medusa.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are the people who do not know Ice Climber too young to have owned a NES at the time or was it more famous in Europe? I think it was bundled with the console at some point and around here it was very often the demo game in toy stores.
It must've been more famous in europe, friends and I had never heard of ice climbers until smash and we were pretty big nintendo fan boys in our youth.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I kinda wish it was a little cheaper (like maybe 30-40). If I get it the kid would probably get the most out of it since I've beaten a lot of those back in the day. Shame there is no Metal Gear though.

Cybsled

They should have included Solar Jetman as well, but I think Rare made that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't remember Kid Icarus being that hard when I beat it as a kid. Ghosts N Goblins, though? Fuck...

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess this is targeted at people too lazy to just do the same with a RPI?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This thing is a rip off. 30 games most of us already have on Roms anyway or on our Gameboy's, etc. Also, you cannot buy any other games for it, and the games it does come with are lacking. Megaman 2 but no Megaman 1?, Super C but no Contra? Come on. And it's Mike Tyson's Punch Out, not Mr. Dream because Nintendo decided to be politically correct. Beating Mike Tyson was a staple of the neighborhood back in the day. Even the hot chicks recognized the accomplishment.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This thing is a rip off.
I felt the same when Reddit was nutting their pants about it yesterday. I don't see what this does that RPI doesn't do. I bet there is a market if you just bought up a ton of RPIs, loaded retropie onto it so its plug-and-play and sell it for like $20 more. This is basically a nerfed RPI that only runs one emulator and only has a limited catalog.

Also for anyone with an RPI can probably attest these games are fun to load up for 5 minutes then you realize how sluggish the controls are on NES and just give up because nostalgia can only be fun for so long

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Are the people who do not know Ice Climber too young to have owned a NES at the time or was it more famous in Europe? I think it was bundled with the console at some point and around here it was very often the demo game in toy stores.
I had one of the first NES's in history. Gyromite, Duck Hunt, the Gun, ROB (Robotic Operating Buddy) two controllers and the system. Yes, I am bragging.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I felt the same when Reddit was nutting their pants about it yesterday. I don't see what this does that RPI doesn't do. I bet there is a market if you just bought up a ton of RPIs, loaded retropie onto it so its plug-and-play and sell it for like $20 more. This is basically a nerfed RPI that only runs one emulator and only has a limited catalog.

Also for anyone with an RPI can probably attest these games are fun to load up for 5 minutes then you realize how sluggish the controls are on NES and just give up because nostalgia can only be fun for so long
Yep. Complete 100% agreement.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are games on the NES that stand up pretty well, if you are not a graphics snob. The Mario games are rock solid, FF1, Castlevania (not having 3 is criminal), and the two original Zelda games. The main benefit I see with this is tossing it in my travel suitcase and popping it into the hotel TV when I am bored on a trip. For 60 bucks, that's not a bad deal. The issue is, if you are a retro gamer at all you either have an emulation PC already set up with tons of ROMS on it or you have a Retron 5 which costs a mere 40 bucks more and plays 3 more platforms beyond the 8bit NES. I happen to have both. Having said that, this is still going to be my wife's birthday present. She will go apeshit over it just for Kirby alone.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So they decided to put Tecmo Bowl on there and not Tecmo Super Bowl? Odd decision considering how much better TSB was over the original.
I didn't realize there were two. I heard so much praise for TSB, I didn't realize the one included here wasn't it. That's disappointing.

I dunno, no 1942 kills it for me. I loved that game.
Are you sure you don't mean 1943? 1942 sucked ass and has probably the worst sound of any NES game.

1943 was a big improvement, with stats to power up and a vastly improved soundtrack.

I'm on the fence about this one. I'm a huge retro Nintendo fanboy, but I own the vast majority of those games (several times over in a variety of formats for many), and a good chunk of them are just "meh" games that don't have much lasting appeal. I'll probably end up getting it anyway (love the design, and it never hurts to have yet another version of Kirby's Adventure/Mario 3/Mega Man 2/Star Tropics), but I honestly don't see it getting all that much use.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There are games on the NES that stand up pretty well, if you are not a graphics snob. The Mario games are rock solid, FF1, Castlevania (not having 3 is criminal), and the two original Zelda games. The main benefit I see with this is tossing it in my travel suitcase and popping it into the hotel TV when I am bored on a trip. For 60 bucks, that's not a bad deal. The issue is, if you are a retro gamer at all you either have an emulation PC already set up with tons of ROMS on it or you have a Retron 5 which costs a mere 40 bucks more and plays 3 more platforms beyond the 8bit NES. I happen to have both. Having said that, this is still going to be my wife's birthday present. She will go apeshit over it just for Kirby alone.
Then if you really love your wife, you should build an RPI for pennies on the dollar and load it with every single rom you can find instead of taking a lazy way out for $60 with limited games and no expansion.

Be a man for Christ sake.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Then if you really love your wife, you should build an RPI for pennies on the dollar and load it with every single rom you can find instead of taking a lazy way out for $60 with limited games and no expansion.

Be a man for Christ sake.
Link to guide? I was mostly worrying about aesthetics and child + wife proofness.