Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Theres no denying the sales success. But its two biggest selling titles (and several other titles that didnt makes the Forbes list) are Wii U ports.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Wii Us problem was not its games, and Switch-era Nintendo seems a bit complacent with game development.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I can't find the article and it would be dated now but the Switch has had more games in its library than both the Xbox1 and PS4 did in any comparable year since its release thus far. Today, in its third year, it has around 2,354 games in its library. PS4 (turning 7) has 2,565 and XBox1 (turning 7) has 2,460. If we're talking about exclusives PS4 has around 229 exclusives while the XB1 has 122. The Switch currently has around 55 with another 5-10 or so in development/pending release so they're lagging a bit here and admitted they're trying to work on new titles and bring new IPs.

Out of the 10 best selling Nintendo Switch games, only three are not exclusive to the Switch (#1. Mario Kart Deluxe, #4 Breath of the Wild (originally developed for WiiU but simultaneously released for the Switch) and #10 New Super Mario Bro. U Deluxe). Out of the top 31, 7 are not exclusive, 8 if you count the complete overhaul/remake of Links Awakening. #2 Smash Bros. Ultimate is not a Wii U game/port.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I can't find the article and it would be dated now but the Switch has had more games in its library than both the Xbox1 and PS4 did in any comparable year since its release thus far. Today, in its third year, it has around 2,354 games in its library. PS4 (turning 7) has 2,565 and XBox1 (turning 7) has 2,460. If we're talking about exclusives PS4 has around 229 exclusives while the XB1 has 122. The Switch currently has around 55 with another 5-10 or so in development/pending release so they're lagging a bit here and admitted they're trying to work on new titles and bring new IPs.

Out of the 10 best selling Nintendo Switch games, only three are not exclusive to the Switch (#1. Mario Kart Deluxe, #4 Breath of the Wild (originally developed for WiiU but simultaneously released for the Switch) and #10 New Super Mario Bro. U Deluxe). Out of the top 31, 7 are not exclusive, 8 if you count the complete overhaul/remake of Links Awakening. #2 Smash Bros. Ultimate is not a Wii U game/port.

The sheer volume of the Switch library is overwhelming, that's for sure.

This top 31?

So a third of the Nintendo-published Switch best sellers are borrowed from Wii U.

Last edited:

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
They have an extensive library, but their exclusives are lagging. The numbers are very clear on that and it's something everyone can look up. You're not wrong if that's what you're suggesting. If by "bringing something new" you meant new IPs I'd be even further in agreement as I'm willing to bet the amount of new IPs Nintendo has introduced thus far with the Switch are smaller than what Microsoft and Sony have introduced, but I don't have that data on me and I'm too tired to search for that and I could be completely wrong.

As for the top 31 best sellers for the Switch, only 6 are from the Wii U, one is Minecraft and one is a complete overhaul of an old gameboy game so yes, less than 1/3rd of the top 31 best sellers are not Switch exclusives. That's not that surprising considering statistics show almost everyone skipped the Wii U as a console after the Wii and some of those Wii U games are actually pretty good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I was just going on the success of the system. The Switch is well on its way to being one of the most successful consoles of all time (will probably finish in the top 3). I don't really get that carried away with IP's. You get the same handful every single Nintendo system: Mario Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bro's, Metroid, etc... The crazy thing is that every time these games release, they're just as good as the previous version, and sometimes (like BOTW) even better. I don't care that Playstation has 300 IP's, when 275 of them suck ass and aren't worth mentioning. The only 2 I can think of that are really worth a damn are "God of War," and "The Last of Us."

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Damn lol, that top 31 list and only 4 of the games on it do I own/want/interested in.

System needs some new stuff and less old ports.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Playstation has 300 IP's, when 275 of them suck ass and aren't worth mentioning. The only 2 I can think of that are really worth a damn are "God of War," and "The Last of Us."

HZ:dawn?
RDR?
FF7 Remake?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
No, I waited to play it on my PC so it didn't lag out and play like absolute shit.

Yeah because playing it on the PS now service on PC through streaming was so much better for you I am sure.

Most of the game library on Switch is shit. The mobile ports are astounding.

Bloodborne played fine on PS4/PS Pro. They also improved load times dramatically.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, as much as I like my Switch, the eShop gives Google Play and App Store a run for their money when it comes to shovelware.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah because playing it on the PS now service on PC through streaming was so much better for you I am sure.

Most of the game library on Switch is shit. The mobile ports are astounding.

Bloodborne played fine on PS4/PS Pro. They also improved load times dramatically.

Ut, my whole point on this argument was that I'm going to have a "wait and see" approach to the PS5. I have a really powerful gaming rig, and for any other game I want to play, I have my Switch. I just don't see enough value in buying an inferior (to my PC) console, when 99% of the games that will release on the PS5, will also release on PC. If Sony releases a big library of exclusive games for the upcoming system, I may change my mind and buy one. It's just so hard to justify now, when most companies make their games across all platforms. Obviously, the Switch is extremely limited when it comes to cross platform AAA titles. Like, I'd never even consider buying "Doom: Eternal" for my Switch, because it would look and play like shit. But for the Nintendo exclusives, and the myriad of mobile ports, the Switch is awesome.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I won't buy PS5 either unless there's some massively compelling reason during it's lifecycle. I just would rather game on my 100% superior in every single way PC

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Picard

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I won't buy PS5 either unless there's some massively compelling reason during it's lifecycle. I just would rather game on my 100% superior in every single way PC
Not every single way; PC HDR is still dogshit.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
This is pretty neat. Plugged in an Xbox controller and it worked flawlessly outside the left trigger and right trigger should be reversed.