Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Crisco

A greasy jar
Mario wonder so far a fine addition to the 2d marios. The wonder stuff lets them get creative with wonky stuff that wouldnt fly normally. Played a level where you ride on a stampede of bison-eqsue animals jumping around etc.

Platforming seems good enough and didnt have notice any complaints.

The badges can be interesting in how they change how mario works. I.e. mario can use his hat to float down slowly or wall jumps go straight up instead of across are 2 early examples.

Worth the $60 as nintendo wont screw up mario and am sure the whole game is same or better quality as first couple worlds. Not sure why people complain they cant take another 2d mario as i doubt anyone else constantly puts out constant good stuff while adding new flavors. Maybe you just dont like 2d platformers anymore?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
You can get a chance at Super Mario Wonder at QVC as a first time buyer. https://www.qvc.com/super-mario-bro...duleType=PRODUCT_CAROUSEL&sc=HPIBMFEED&TZ=EST

If you go through the payment options until the end, input the code HOLIDAY30 to take $30 off. Its already on their site at the above address with a case for 65 bucks, then minus the 30 makes it like 35+tax.

Mileage may vary - some people said their orders were cancelled, some have a ship date of two weeks out.

The game has been going in-and-out of stock, so if you're really interested keep trying.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So who's going to be playing Mario Wonder?

I'm gonna probably get it day one. ...and probably also finish it day one. From what I played a few weeks ago on a reviewer copy, the game is gonna be pretty short by modern standards.

Is there any real reason to emulate this instead of just getting it on Switch? The game already looks like something from 2014 Wii U and I'm not sure how much of a difference emulator enhancements would actually make on something like this (compared to, say, TOTK).

Goonsquad Officer
I got it today to play with my 4 year old. She mastered yoshis crafted world and I'm sick od the music from it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My son is playing it, he says it’s great. You can also play with 4 people so him and his buddies played it a bit this morning too. They all liked it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought it last night, and it's a fun 2D Mario game. It's kinda of hard for Nintendo to fuck up Mario games. They have the formula down pat.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bought it last night, and it's a fun 2D Mario game. It's kinda of hard for Nintendo to fuck up Mario games. They have the formula down pat.

IMO they should do this more often. They could do a yearly Mario release easily if they're all like, the length of Mario Bros 3.

Playing fanmade levels on Mario Maker 1 and 2, it was incredible the volume of quality level designs that were on there. Nintendo could commission fanmade levels and slot them into the latest official game to fill out some of the levels. Stuff like that would be great but it seems unlikely.

Goonsquad Officer
Boy loosing leader to a 4 year old in Mario wonder sure is turds

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

haven't been able to play much due to RL / spidey 2 but i like what i've played, and i've been playing on PC under yuzu. flawless emu so far, rock solid 60 fps and under 15% CPU used. i haven't seen a ton of reshaders and upscalers yet but yuzu does support rendering at 2x and 4x but tbh i don't know if I can tell any difference

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Not sure if I like some of the changes, like the "phone game" menus.

Also not sure if this game needed an easy mode. Original Mario RPG is already quite easy, except maybe the final area and the Axem Rangers fight. They already added team super-attacks that decimate everything, and the ability to switch characters out mid-fight, so an easy game is already considerably easier, and then added an easy mode on top of that? Jesus.

Well, whatever, maybe it'll be easier for little kids and the extremely old.

Other than that it looks decent enough. Really just needed to be a 1:1 remake with modern visuals (i.e. look like what we remember the original looking like) and it seems close enough in that regard.

• 1Pathetic

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

Not sure if I like some of the changes, like the "phone game" menus.

Also not sure if this game needed an easy mode. Original Mario RPG is already quite easy, except maybe the final area and the Axem Rangers fight. They already added team super-attacks that decimate everything, and the ability to switch characters out mid-fight, so an easy game is already considerably easier, and then added an easy mode on top of that? Jesus.

Well, whatever, maybe it'll be easier for little kids and the extremely old.

Other than that it looks decent enough. Really just needed to be a 1:1 remake with modern visuals (i.e. look like what we remember the original looking like) and it seems close enough in that regard.
Game looks absolutely stunning, can overlook the menu thing as you don't spend much time in them, but the depressing thing to me is the comment "It's nearly a 1:1 remake", the original you can beat in not very long at all ( <10 hours?). I am really hoping they've added a lot more length to the game in some form.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Easy money for them to modernize with a "remaster" but also breathes new life into the people who wanted sequels. Depending on how powerful the Switch 2 ends up being there may be some interest from Square in doing something for the platform directly but low expectations of anything materializing right now.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Game looks absolutely stunning, can overlook the menu thing as you don't spend much time in them, but the depressing thing to me is the comment "It's nearly a 1:1 remake", the original you can beat in not very long at all ( <10 hours?). I am really hoping they've added a lot more length to the game in some form.

Yep, those SNES-era games are way shorter than people remember, as I'm always pointing out. Mario RPG does take me around 10 hours, yeah.

What would be really nice is if they added extra areas to some of the shorter parts (Bowser's Castle and Star Hill could use expanding).

Star Hill...that place was MAGICAL as a kid. Nothing makes me feel like that anymore.

They could also add a postgame dungeon. Something that everyone needs to be level 30 and BIS-equipped for. Culex as the postgame boss is a nice challenge, but he can be beaten at like level 26 without too much trouble. I'd like to see something that goes beyond that. "Culex's Challenge Castle" or something like that, with some really tough bosses and an even stronger Culex at the end.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Been playing Mario Wonder with my kids. Great game (and much more forgiving multiplay than NSMB). Very successfully treads the thin line between insanely trippy and imaginative fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What Switch emulator do people run? Yuze?

Haven't gotten around to buying Mario Wonder, but I also don't see the point of emulating it considering it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse and I think emulating a game that just came out is pretty chinzy.

That said, F**** Nintendo and their shitty system specs, and you're basically doing yourself a disservice if you play Zelda BOTW or TOK on the actual system, so I'll need to emulate those.

• 1Pathetic

Goonsquad Officer
i found out what's worse than a 4 year old leading the party in mario wonder. doing that while the kid selected "invisible" badge. imagine playing mario where you can't see mario and a child controls where the screen scroll is.

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
i ran TOTK and Mario Wonder (a week before release even) under Yuzu no problems, 60 fps with no dips and works great with an xbox elite controller. There are a ton of guides so i'm not sure what the best way to start from scratch is, but on my 3080ti / i7 mario wonder doesn't even suck up 15% of CPU and isn't pushing the GPU at all. My TOTK was looking amazing before I dropped it to play Baldurs Gate 3, I had reshaders, upscalers, texture mods, all kinds of shit that made it look stunning.

only thing i'd really recommend is getting the early builds from yuzu pineapple at Releases · pineappleEA/pineapple-src (nothing pirate-y there, its just nightly builds) and then using portable mode. You just have to make a folder called user in the your folder and it'll store configs and all settings in there so you can have multiple builds installed at once, makes it easy to switch versions. You still need to get firmware and title/prod keys (piracy) but there are a million guides for that.

Took me under an hour first time from scratch, was really simple. The other emulator is ryujinx, i think its more "true" but uses more power whereas yuzu tends to run stuff faster with less overhead.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I'm impressed by Yuzu, i just completed two switch games (Tropical Freeze DK and Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe) without any issue on my potatoe PC. (notebook amd ryzen 5 3550h, 16 go ram, 1650 gtx)