Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This has always annoyed me with Nintendo and EA or 2K (didn't distinguish between the companies last post). It was always hard to either get the game or the true version on the game on Nintendo due to whatever reason. We tend to get the "Nintendo" edition of sports games which strips a lot of key features or developers/publishers like 2K don't even fool with it.

I'm hoping this changes and as I said earlier, we have some teases from EA and 2K that games are coming so I can't see them not bringing their games to the console but will they be complete versions with all the features present. It does me no good as an avid 2K fan to buy NBA2K18 if MyGM and there features are not available.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Peter Moore did try and dispute the 'it's a 360/PS3' port of Fifa but quoting the 'customized for Switch' bit of the PR, but then wouldn't speak to anything else. Kinda siding w/ Eurogamer on that until they prove otherwise. We haven't seen anything about Frostbite being able to run on Switch and all of EA's titles are moving to it. Nintendo just doesn't make hardware anymore to support porting current gen titles.

In 2021 they'll release a tablet w/ a 2010 Kindle Fire screen and Xbox One innards compatible w/ all the Switch Accessories (call it Switch U maybe?) and call it next gen as PS5 hits it's stride and MS releases the followup to Scorpio.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo has already said that their plan is to sell 2m Switches in the first 3 months, that pretty much means thats all they will make. The factory its made in can crank out around 500k a month and there is only one factory (Foxconn) so its pretty constrained by that. The Wii U sold 2m units in the first 6 months so it should easily hit that. There are ~2500 gamestops in the USA, they have presold all their allocations but thats only around 250k units. Even factoring in international, best buy, amazon, etc Nintendo has pre sold around 500-600k Switches so far so there is a LOT of head room to hit 2m units still, which is why I think it shouldn't be impossible to find a switch at launch.

The issue is a year from now will the software lineup look strong and will the people who wait for holidays to buy gifts also buy the switch. After the first 5m units sold the Wii U had a really tough time moving, but its going to take a year or two to see how the switch compares. I suspect given now only one new hardware platform it should do better, especially if Nintendo can regularly crank out WIi U ports and new titles.

and yeah all rumors are saying the switch version of FIFA is based on the ps3/360 version, which is woefully inadequate compared to the ps4/xbone version. Currently all the EA Sports games use the Ignite engine but they are supposed to transition to Frostbite over the next 2 years. The ps3/360 versions still use Ignite, there is no Frostbite engine on those platforms and we haven't heard if the Switch will get it or not. It could be possible, will just depend on sales of the switch I think.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Nintendo has already said that their plan is to sell 2m Switches in the first 3 months, that pretty much means thats all they will make. The factory its made in can crank out around 500k a month and there is only one factory (Foxconn) so its pretty constrained by that. The Wii U sold 2m units in the first 6 months so it should easily hit that. There are ~2500 gamestops in the USA, they have presold all their allocations but thats only around 250k units. Even factoring in international, best buy, amazon, etc Nintendo has pre sold around 500-600k Switches so far so there is a LOT of head room to hit 2m units still, which is why I think it shouldn't be impossible to find a switch at launch.

The issue is a year from now will the software lineup look strong and will the people who wait for holidays to buy gifts also buy the switch. After the first 5m units sold the Wii U had a really tough time moving, but its going to take a year or two to see how the switch compares. I suspect given now only one new hardware platform it should do better, especially if Nintendo can regularly crank out WIi U ports and new titles.

and yeah all rumors are saying the switch version of FIFA is based on the ps3/360 version, which is woefully inadequate compared to the ps4/xbone version. Currently all the EA Sports games use the Ignite engine but they are supposed to transition to Frostbite over the next 2 years. The ps3/360 versions still use Ignite, there is no Frostbite engine on those platforms and we haven't heard if the Switch will get it or not. It could be possible, will just depend on sales of the switch I think.

I think especially given we are so far from any major holiday shopping there should be no rush for people to push for this purchase. I think if we were end of the October or near a Black Friday then things would be a little crazy due to your scalpers. I see no reason why people won't be able to get a Switch on Launch day or even a week or two after. There may be smaller areas with fewer retail options that could struggle but if you have a Gamestop, Wal-Mart, BestBuy, and a Target (not to mention Amazon), you'll get a Switch.

With that said... if you had a Switch at $249.99 or a $299.99 with the appropriate accessories and say MarioKart, Splatoon2, Smash, or Zelda available packaged game bundles then this thing would have been a different story I think.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Like I've been saying, there are plenty of huge mistakes that you can lay directly at the feet of Nintendo and their leadership:

1. Why was the Switch not ready to launch BEFORE Christmas? There is absolutely no excuse for this, as this console has been in development for almost 4 years. Burn the midnight oil and get this thing out in late November/early December. They could've easily hit 5 million units plus had they done this.

2. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 2 should've been ready at launch at the very least. Along with Zelda, that would've been 4 big time games that could've launched with the system and helped drum up a lot of interest in the system, especially if Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were Switch only titles.

3. Sell the unit at a loss. Playstation and Microsoft both sell their systems at an initial loss, and recoup that money on the sales of game titles at launch, and on the backend when the price to make the consoles goes down a few years into their life cycle. This could have also allowed Nintendo to make a more powerful system with better technology and a bigger hard drive.

4. The price of the accessories is way, way, way too fucking high. Again, sell some of the accessories at cost, instead of trying to make a ridiculous profit. No fucking way should a second controller cost $80, unless the thing literally gives you a hand job every morning when you wake up. Also, the fact that the pro controller clip-on doesn't charge the controllers, and that unit is sold separately, is inexcusable.

There are probably more fuckups that Nintendo has made with this system, but those are my biggest gripes right now.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Like I've been saying, there are plenty of huge mistakes that you can lay directly at the feet of Nintendo and their leadership:

1. Why was the Switch not ready to launch BEFORE Christmas? There is absolutely no excuse for this, as this console has been in development for almost 4 years. Burn the midnight oil and get this thing out in late November/early December. They could've easily hit 5 million units plus had they done this.

2. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 2 should've been ready at launch at the very least. Along with Zelda, that would've been 4 big time games that could've launched with the system and helped drum up a lot of interest in the system, especially if Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were Switch only titles.

3. Sell the unit at a loss. Playstation and Microsoft both sell their systems at an initial loss, and recoup that money on the sales of game titles at launch, and on the backend when the price to make the consoles goes down a few years into their life cycle. This could have also allowed Nintendo to make a more powerful system with better technology and a bigger hard drive.

4. The price of the accessories is way, way, way too fucking high. Again, sell some of the accessories at cost, instead of trying to make a ridiculous profit. No fucking way should a second controller cost $80, unless the thing literally gives you a hand job every morning when you wake up. Also, the fact that the pro controller clip-on doesn't charge the controllers, and that unit is sold separately, is inexcusable.

There are probably more fuckups that Nintendo has made with this system, but those are my biggest gripes right now.

I'll give you everything as a 100% fuckup aside from number 1. The PS4Pro came out around that time, and maybe it was a strategic decision to let the release push into Q1 2017, as not to compete with that.

I'm not saying it was, but theres a minor chance it was.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So my take is now that I'll either bump into a Wii U for Zelda or I'll wait until Mario Kart 8 and Mario Odyessey hit and get all of it in the eventual Zelda Switch Pack this December.

I play exclusively on PC now, but I'll usually buy the Nintendo consoles with greatest hits. I'll just wait and pick up Wii U stuff that's inevitably getting re-released along with the few Switch games that are worth getting. By the end of the year, prices will drop and this thing will crater. At $200 I'd be in now.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh and all this Nintendo talk made me buy a Raspberry last night. Retro pie will look good on my late gen CRT.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need someone to host a torrent with a ripped SD card already set up and configured. The 4 times I've gone to set up my RetroPie I've been distracted by something and just never finished. By the next time there is a new version, cleaner instructions for install, blah, blah.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was not getting good framerate on CEMU and Super Mario 3D World. I need to mess with it more, but I figured a 980ti and i7 wouldn't have had issues. I don't have the newest version of CEMU that just came out, though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was not getting good framerate on CEMU and Super Mario 3D World. I need to mess with it more, but I figured a 980ti and i7 wouldn't have had issues. I don't have the newest version of CEMU that just came out, though.

Everything I tired was pretty shitty. Mario 3D World, Star Fox Zero, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions... Pretty much everything that was considered a great Wii U game ran like ass or was unplayable.

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm sad to hear all this stuff about possible shitty versions of Madden and other EA sports games on the Switch. The main reason I've been wanting to get back into consoles lately is for sports games, and I didn't pick up a PS4/Xbox at the holiday season because I was hoping Nintendo was going to blow us all away with their January presentation. I was really really really hoping that I could get my Nintendo franchise fix and sports fix from a single console. Oh well :(

At this point, I'm more likely to wait until the Switch release in March and pick up a great, competitive bundle deal being offered for PS4/Xbox instead.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm sad to hear all this stuff about possible shitty versions of Madden and other EA sports games on the Switch. The main reason I've been wanting to get back into consoles lately is for sports games, and I didn't pick up a PS4/Xbox at the holiday season because I was hoping Nintendo was going to blow us all away with their January presentation. I was really really really hoping that I could get my Nintendo franchise fix and sports fix from a single console. Oh well :(

At this point, I'm more likely to wait until the Switch release in March and pick up a great, competitive bundle deal being offered for PS4/Xbox instead.

Honestly, if you are looking for sports games, the best best would be an Xbox One S with an EA access pass for $29 for the year. You get pretty much any sports game you can dream of. Quality/online and what not works decently enough. A few games when compared to their 2K counter parts (Basketball mainly, MLB The Show for Baseball on PS4) blow EA out of the water but EA has a lock down on Hockey and Football to my knowledge, so if you like those two espcially and do not mind being rail roaded at times with features, that would probably be the best way to go as a sports fan.

spronk

FPS noob
Everything I tired was pretty shitty. Mario 3D World, Star Fox Zero, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions... Pretty much everything that was considered a great Wii U game ran like ass or was unplayable.

I don't think W101 or Tokyo Mirage work yet. For 3D world, make sure Debug / Enable Textured Compressions is ON, Debug / GPU Buffer cache accuracy is LOW (default is medium), download the graphic pack files from GitHub - slashiee/cemu_graphic_packs: Community Graphic Packs for Cemu 1.7.0+, please read the issues that are in the readme. Cemu website: -- i used quality but you can do performance to max out FPS (fps is locked at 60 for all wii u games). Put those files in the cemu subdir as graphicPacks/dozensofgames_1080p/1440p/2160p Then in CEMU go to Options / Graphic Packs and check the ones you want to turn on for various games, like Super Mario 3D World + Toad 1440p or 2160p (4k) or whatever. Finally load the rom and run.

Playing a game caches textures while you are playing so its good to just run around a level for a bit, you will notice FPS drop offs constantly while it does that but after a while it should be smooth. There are people working on creating preloaded texture packs which will definitely speed up the games, but thats probably a bit aways.

CEMU is definitely not user friendly, buggy, and nowhere near 100% emu but I was able to play like 3 worlds in super mario last night on a 970 at 1440p and zero fps issues after a bit. It even works with multiple controllers which is cool. Windwaker HD is also supposed to be a game that people have completed.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So my take is now that I'll either bump into a Wii U for Zelda or I'll wait until Mario Kart 8 and Mario Odyessey hit and get all of it in the eventual Zelda Switch Pack this December.

I play exclusively on PC now, but I'll usually buy the Nintendo consoles with greatest hits. I'll just wait and pick up Wii U stuff that's inevitably getting re-released along with the few Switch games that are worth getting. By the end of the year, prices will drop and this thing will crater. At $200 I'd be in now.

FWIW I'm pretty sure the Wii U is dead. Nintendo has already pulled all new consoles from the shelves and after Zelda there won't be any more Nintendo releases on the Wii U.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's actually not when you consider Sweden has a 25% VAT added to the price. Take that away and it's pretty close to what they're charging in the US.

Sadly it is not just VAT, there is a "green" tax on all electronics and some stupid music royalty tax combined with VAT.