Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If that's what there gonna do with it, good luck hopefully this will be the last iteration of this shit storm, maybe they will finnaly pull there head out of there ass..

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Would this be the same six months they told me I would get my Zelda on the Wii U? :)

Think I unpacked the Wii U and played Zombie U for 3 weeks then boxed it up again waiting for Zelda. Oh and the Zombie (U) port on the PS runs smoother so I play that "exclusive" on the PS4 now instead, still a decent game!

I moved 1.5 years ago and only unpacked my WiiU this week. About the only thing they've released in that time is their Mario devkit as a 'social' game....

Rude

Potato del Grande
Have they said if Wii U prices are going to get slashed when this gets closer to release?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm really disappointed to hear the news about the NX. Why in the name of fuck would you make a system that is inferior to the Xbox 1 and PS4 that launched over three years ago??? It makes no fucking sense. I'm not saying they had to make a system with bleeding edge technology, but to launch a system in 2017 that is weaker than systems that were launched in 2013 is just dumb. Nintendo had a real chance here to build a next gen system and put themselves in a great position to take back a large chunk of the market like they did with the Wii, and instead they're going to blow this opportunity on a console that is really just going to be an overpriced tablet. Unless the starting price of this new system is under $200, I don't see why anyone would want to buy a console that is woefully underpowered just to play mobile phone games.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its a handheld system that doubles as a console, not a console that doubles as an oversized mobile phone system. Think PS3/360 (though potentially better) graphics on a handheld and you're a bit closer to what the NX is supposed to be. And mobile phone games en masse are shit, especially if they aren't exclusively turn based or the P&D brand of stuff. Handheld games, even shitty ones, are generally substantially better than ipad or phone games unless you plug a controller in to play them. Like, better by orders of magnitude.

Nintendo hasn't competed for the most powerful/cutting edge system for 20 years. It's not like this is a new tactic for them. This is a 3ds without the 3d but a bunch more horsepower. And the 3ds has sold a shitload.

spronk

FPS noob
Pokemon Sun/Moon should be interesting, Nintendo probably thinks the success of Pokemon Go will translate into good sales for S/M but imo I think a lot of people are just going to decide Pokemon Go is good enough and they don't need to pay $40 to play more pokemon on another device. I think the same thing will hit them hard on the NX, as people decide their phone is good enough as a mobile gaming device now.

I don't fault them for trying though, they are really in a tough spot here and its hard to come up with scenarios in which they can win. Can't compete with Sony/Microsoft on power, without the power they won't get the third parties, without the third parties they can't get a big install base, without killer games (which require the big install base) they can't convince people who think mobile is good enough to buy a dedicated gaming device. Their only real hope is to hope for a big technology disruption in the mobile/computing space like a phone cube you stick up your ass, and jumping on that shit before it gets oversaturated.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think you reeeally underestimate the fanbase that picks up -every- pokemon release for every system, so they have access to the best teams possible for actual play vs. each other. PokemonGo is the absolute barest skeleton of a "game" still, even compared to early Pokemon releases. It has interesting features but it isn't nearly the same. I'd be fairly shocked if the Sun/Moon games don't sell at least 10m units combined, and historically speaking it is basically guaranteed. It isn't like the install base for 3ds has shrank hah.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If anything, PokemonGo has made me want to pick up my DS Pokemon games again because I want to actually play with and level the damn things, vs. the shallow gym fighting they have in Go. I'll still play Go for the collection aspect, but it absolutely is not a replacement for a good ol' classic Pokemon game.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Its a handheld system that doubles as a console, not a console that doubles as an oversized mobile phone system. Think PS3/360 (though potentially better) graphics on a handheld and you're a bit closer to what the NX is supposed to be. And mobile phone games en masse are shit, especially if they aren't exclusively turn based or the P&D brand of stuff. Handheld games, even shitty ones, are generally substantially better than ipad or phone games unless you plug a controller in to play them. Like, better by orders of magnitude.

Nintendo hasn't competed for the most powerful/cutting edge system for 20 years. It's not like this is a new tactic for them. This is a 3ds without the 3d but a bunch more horsepower. And the 3ds has sold a shitload.

No, I get it, I just don't understand it. I'm not going to pay $300 or more for a system with 6 year old technology so I can play 3DS games on my television. If Nintendo wanted to go this route, they should've just ditched the console altogether and just made a high powered handheld. I've never really been that into handheld systems to begin with, so this looks like just another Nintendo system that I will pass on entirely and will probably be the nail in the coffin for Nintendo as far as making consoles. I haven't bought a Nintendo system since the Gamecube, which was an awesome system, even if there weren't many titles for it. I passed on the Wii and the Wii U, because I thought the price for the system and the games was not worth it. Yes, there were some good games for Wii, but I thought it was more of a gimmick than an actual great console. I thought perhaps they had learned their lesson after the fiasco that was Wii U, but apparently, I was wrong. I just don't see millions of people buying a new console so they can play a handheld that has the same graphics as a PS2.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd argue that both Nintendo consoles post the Gamecube were gimmicky pieces of shit. However, the Wii version of Twilight Princess was superior to the GC version, and Monster Hunter Tri on the WIi was a ton of fun. But their handhelds have been clearly stronger in support than the PS offerings, even if you could easily argue that the PSVita was a PS2+ in your hands.

I'm far from a Nintendo apologist, really. I think they have made -incredibly- dumb mistakes in recent years. 3DS's 3D being a key one. If it wasn't a much stronger system than the DS, it would have been a total wash. But it was a much stronger system, so while most games put in the gimmicky 3d stuff, they most likely expected the vast majority of people to drop that slider to no-3d and never/rarely move it past off. There's a -lot- of good games if you like jrpgs/dungeon crawlers(ala Wizardry etc) on both the DS and 3DS. Like, games I've dropped dozens of hours at a minimum on, even given the lackluster medium. I don't -like- handhelds, and I'd happily put up with shitty graphics on a big screen if I could view the damn thing on the big screen without doing a ton of extra work outside of the system to get it up and running.

I honestly think this is just the next level of handheld, but with the ability to output to a TV. It might be a shitastic WiiU failboat right out the gate, of course. But unless the information on the NX is incredibly misleading, it is going to be a stronger handheld than is currently out, so from Wii/PS2-ish games towards PS3/Xbox360 level of graphics, and basically a hdmi port in the back to drop sound/graphics on a TV. I'm curious about the exact design of the break-away controllers, but as long as it maintains the basic functionality of a Wii Pro pad, it will be sufficient.

This is basically the solution to the ever present "I want to play xx but it only gets released on handhelds and I don't do handhelds" type gamers. And there's a -ton- of those/you out there.

However if you've never thought that a handheld only game was interesting, I would wager that this upcoming system is most definitely not aimed at you.

I would expect a $250 pricepoint or thereabouts, unless they get a smoking deal on their processors and gfx solutions to keep it under $200. They appear to be skipping their "console" this time around, so the NX might be more expensive to compensate for it.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
However if you've never thought that a handheld only game was interesting, I would wager that this upcoming system is most definitely not aimed at you.

This is basically the solution to the ever present "I want to play xx but it only gets released on handhelds and I don't do handhelds" type gamers. And there's a -ton- of those/you out there.

This and this. I have seen so many games appear on Nintendo's handhelds that I've wanted to play on a big screen with a real controller. Playing on a handheld blows and if we can just merge both their console and handheld market then this system would have more games that I want to play than any of the other consoles(the only thing that might still beat it is the PC).

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Pokemon Sun/Moon should be interesting, Nintendo probably thinks the success of Pokemon Go will translate into good sales for S/M but imo I think a lot of people are just going to decide Pokemon Go is good enough and they don't need to pay $40 to play more pokemon on another device. I think the same thing will hit them hard on the NX, as people decide their phone is good enough as a mobile gaming device now.

3DS #1 selling system (consoles included) in July. Pokemon X/Y sales up 200% over last July. Pokemon ORAS sales up over 80%. Both games are years old.

Safe to say Pokemon Go has already translated to sales for Nintendo. I wonder what the pre-order numbers for Sun/Moon are.

Edit - source: July 2016: Nintendo's response - Pokemon mania helps drive 3DS to #1 - Nintendo Everything

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I don't know. I'm a huge Nintendo guy, but I'm really disappointed with the news that the NX is going to be basically 5+ year old technology. They really had a chance to jump ahead of both Microsoft and Sony on a next gen system, and they're going to blow it. I'd rather pay $400 or more for an awesome new system that is superior to both the Xbox 1 and the PS4, than pay $250 for a glorified Gameboy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Trying to compete with Sony and MS on hardware is stupid, they have way more resources to wage that battle. Especially with both set to release updated versions of their consoles within 1.5 years. That's why Nintendo doesn't see themselves as competing with either - they will continue trying to tap into new markets with their software and innovative technology. Merging their handheld and console into one device is really the only option they had - it basically allows them to double their development output.

If the NX is going to be using the Tegra X2, it won't be 5 year old tech either.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nintendo is still financially stable right? still making money?

They seem to have adjusted their business model to survive/thrive on lower sales and most likely higher margins vs. what Sony and M$ do by throwing money at their systems always launching them at a fairly harsh loss.

No.

Is Mario In Trouble?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think you read that article carefully. The majority of the loss in that quarter was due to the strong yen and the exchange rate.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Basically the NX is Nintendo leaving the console market without actually saying it. The NX is a next gen portable handheld that you can play on your TV.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Basically the NX is Nintendo leaving the console market without actually saying it. The NX is a next gen portable handheld that you can play on your TV.

I agree with this. I've actually considered them out of the real console market since the Wii. Since the Wii I've basically viewed my Nintendo consoles as supplemental system to be used along with my main gaming platform (PC, Xbox, or Playstation). It looks like they're just continuing that trend, which I'm fine with.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
They just need to get some franchise defining games on all the market places (PC/Xbox/Sony) while making the best handheld in the market. A dream we will never realize, but I think it might be the most profitable option they could implement. They could even do self exclusivity, like releasing NX/DS titles 3-4 months or more before the PC/Xbox/Sony release of any games that could thrive on the other platforms. I'd be likely to buy some larger amount of Nintendo games yearly if it wasn't restricted to the 3DS or console experiences that is inferior to my PC.