Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I don't know about that you guys most of nintendo stuff is very durable imo. I had an original Gameboy that thing was like a rock. The 3ds pretty durable too. And they used to send replacement controllers if your controller broke. I can honestly count the number of times on one hand the amount of controllers that I've had break, first party from Nintendo. None of my gameboys ever broke growing up and i put lots of hours on them, took them to school etc.

Has this really been a thing for you guys? With Nintendo products specifically.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the SNES, but my 3DS XL really pissed me off with its design. The plastic ridge around the lower screen presses against the upper screen and scratches the shit out of it unless you keep your cleaning cloth in between the two. I didn't realize this until after the damage was done, of course.

Obviously the Switch doesn't have that problem, but instead you have the problem that the Vita did in that the screen is exposed all the time when not docked or in some kind of padded case. And you can't really say that the joycons will be durable without a long period of usage, since none of Nintendo's previous controllers have been in multiple pieces that you'll be moving around a lot (unless you only use the pro controller when docked and never detach the joycons, which is what I'd probably do if/when I get one).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The Wii controller and nunchuck were multiple pieces that you move around a lot. They held up pretty well given the level of activity I imagine the typical one saw.

He's got a pretty good point on their durability, they usually make a solid as fuck product.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
When we were kids my brother left his game boy (original model) in its carrying case full of games and that magnifying light thing on the roof of the car. We were driving down the highway and he said Why did a telephone book just fly by? Then he realized it was his game boy and carrying case. We went back and picked up the pieces, but it was shattered. my grandmother took it back to the store and got it replaced free of charge. TLDR Nintendo's durability can't withstand falling 60mph onto a rocky shoulder of a highway. Japanese durability my ass

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never had issues with Nintendo hardware, but then again, none of the hardware was repeatedly plugged/unplugged/sliding in/out like the Switch seems to be designed for. I'm sure they have thoroughly put it through its paces, though. It's the least of my concerns with the system.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I don't know about that you guys most of nintendo stuff is very durable imo. I had an original Gameboy that thing was like a rock. The 3ds pretty durable too. And they used to send replacement controllers if your controller broke. I can honestly count the number of times on one hand the amount of controllers that I've had break, first party from Nintendo. None of my gameboys ever broke growing up and i put lots of hours on them, took them to school etc.

Has this really been a thing for you guys? With Nintendo products specifically.
Generally Nintendo hardware is solid and durable. Biggest exception I can think of is the N64 controllers, which I have not forgiven Nintendo for to this day. Fucking analog sticks would inevitably wear out and become useless. I've got 4 N64 controllers, NONE of which have a functioning analog stick.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The best controller Nintendo [strikethrough]never[/strikethrough] created was the WaveBird, thankfully someone did it for them.

*edit: guess I remembered wrong after looking it up. I still stand by the "best" part though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Wii controller and nunchuck were multiple pieces that you move around a lot. They held up pretty well given the level of activity I imagine the typical one saw.

I meant in the sense of physically moving the joycons between the Switch and the other accessories. Other than the potential for being thrown if you don't use a wrist strap, the nunchuks aren't like that at all. The grip seems pretty safe since it extends past the joycons on both sides, but I would probably never buy one of those anyway because it looks uncomfortable as hell for an adult who already has enough hand/wrist/RSI related problems. My concern would be the Switch itself when using it as a portable, and how well they protect it against wear if you attach and detach it a lot (to a charging base, the things that turn them into separate motion controllers, etc.)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Generally Nintendo hardware is solid and durable. Biggest exception I can think of is the N64 controllers, which I have not forgiven Nintendo for to this day. Fucking analog sticks would inevitably wear out and become useless. I've got 4 N64 controllers, NONE of which have a functioning analog stick.

My N64 controllers work just fine still to this day and I never had a problem with the analog's wearing out. The Atari 5200 controller's now those were a POS.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The durability of N64 controllers is directly related to how many hot pockets and doritos you ate during your Golden Eye multiplayer sessions. Doritos dust and grease wreaked havoc on the analog sticks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I was referring to the Xbox one elite controller. Early on had lots of reports of durability issues like the bumpers breaking, and for some insane reason they only have a 90 day warranty.

The only Nintendo controller I've ever had break was when I was a kid rage throwing the fuckers

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I think for me personally I can over look the cost of peripheral stuff due to the durability every other one of their products has had. I am going to give them a bit of leeway with that personally.

I've had to replace lots of psx through ds4 controllers but can only think of one time a Nintendo controller had an issue. And when I called Nintendo they sent me a couple of brand new controllers, fixed the broken one and sent it back.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This video does a much better job showing the controllers and discussing how they feel. Does not seem the best but still really want it for work travel. Being able to easily bring good games on the plan and for hotels in the evening makes this worth it for me.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, like I stated before, there's a stream on IGN and they talked about the Nintendo controllers and said that they are rather comfortable when attached to the system or to the Joy Con grip , and that the only time they felt awkward was when they were both detached and used separately. I'll reserve judgment on the controllers until I've had a chance to use them, although I'm pretty certain I'll buy at least one of the pro controllers ($70 is ridiculous, though).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the Nintendo quality, while I'd agree in the ole times, the 3DS was kind of a finnicky little piece of shit, especially that weird ass sliding stick thing. Mine didn't break cause I didn't use it that much, but I've heard a bunch of stories about various parts of the 3DS breaking when ppl were playing smash bros and whatever else. The joycon shit look like they'd be pretty robust though, so that wouldn't be much of an issue I'd think. The pro gamepad though not sure.

I've had to recently replace my Dpad on my DS4 and overall it wasn't much of a hassle and only cost me like 5bucks(and like 80% of that was delivery) so that's an alternative. Shit broke after like a year and a half of using it, granted I've been using the Dpad a lot lately.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was referring to the Xbox one elite controller. Early on had lots of reports of durability issues like the bumpers breaking, and for some insane reason they only have a 90 day warranty.

The only Nintendo controller I've ever had break was when I was a kid rage throwing the fuckers
Luckily I have had no issues with my Elite controller. I will definitely be pissed if it breaks. I use it daily.

spronk

FPS noob
Switch extended superbowl ad

good ad. I wonder if anyone will notice there are no black guys in the ad

British ad is good too, I didn't know England had so many good looking fit people. I look forward to this future where a bunch of hot chicks are always carrying their switch around

spronk

FPS noob
well thats pretty reasonable, probably $25 USD / 25 euros? of course all you really get is online cloud storage/access and a new rom you can play for a month