Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone buy Nintendo consoles for anything besides 1st party titles? I know I don't. As long as the new Zelda and Mario titles are appealing, it'll probably be enough for me to buy one... especially since I skipped the Wii U.

Well, had Nintendo not strong armed 3rd party publishers with outrageous license fees with the Nintendo 64, it would be a valid point had that been the direction they wanted to take it. It wasn't always like this for Nintendo. But they fucked their 3rd party publishers and it wasn't by design. Thy got greedy.

They know that to survive they need 3rd party support. As we saw with the Wii U, they take their sweet time developing titles and without software to drive hardware they obviously sucked a duck. Without a hardware install base they can't reaffirm 3rd party support which is obviously what they are wanting people to recognize with this latest console (and huge PR push for 3rd party) while consolidating development across mobile and home console.

Not to mention their first party development has been stagnant as fuck anyway from a game design stand point. Platform Mario games and reused assets with Mario cart and smash bros are not going to sustain them next gen, just as it didn't this gen with Wii U.

It will sell because they will discontinue the 3DS and people will want the next portable. So it's a viable strategy on that front, while also unifying their account games system as a result by consolidating the platform. But to be successful, along with that consolidation and phasing out 3DS, and 3DS's large dependence on 3rd party, they better and anyone buying this console better worry about it.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Jesus, those specs are awful. It doesn't even make sense. It's either a super powerful portable that's too fucking big to actually be portable or it's a disastrously underpowered home console. 3rd parties will ignore this as much as the U which seems odd onsidering all the hoopla they made about getting their support.

Outside of the usual (increasingly stale) first party stuff I see a shit ton of Wii U and 3DS ports in this consoles future and not much else. If this thing costs over $200 Nintendo have lost their minds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't even know why they are crippling it in docked mode.
Probably a result of its "portable" design not being able to handle the heat output if fully clocked.

Also goodluck with 3rd party support with that being powered by an ARM processor. Library is going to be nothing but Nintendo and shitty mobile games.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I would expect a price of $249.99 with Zelda pack in.

If they do not do that, it better be $199 stand alone. But they would be VERY wise to get adoption early with the first rather than the latter.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I would expect a price of $249.99 with Zelda pack in.

If they do not do that, it better be $199 stand alone. But they would be VERY wise to get adoption early with the first rather than the latter.

Zelda isn't even out for several months.

Siliconemelons

I understand them not making the dock "add hardware" as that will make devs have to do 2 modes for the game etc... but then they just go ahead and DO THE SAME THING just with down clocking the GPU? WTF

If you are going to make them have two modes to the game you may as well put a better GPU and ram in the dock so its supea beefy yo!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Whelp, not buying this at launch. Will wait and see how it turns out. Everyone is fucking confused right now because even the X1 can do far better. They're literally throttling it for no good reason. What the fuck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and release some "I Told You So" cluster bombs on this thread. Pew pew

Malkav

French Madman
Probably a result of its "portable" design not being able to handle the heat output if fully clocked.

Also goodluck with 3rd party support with that being powered by an ARM processor. Library is going to be nothing but Nintendo and shitty mobile games.

Have you seen the Shield TV and Shield tablet? They run the same Tegra X1 fully clocked without any heat issues. It just doesn't make sense.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
All I know is that my hype is dead until the 12th/13th. The one benefit this system has left aside from being a portable is that all of Nintendo's games will be in one place. It'll be up to them to make it worth it.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
The main appeal to me is that it will open up the Wii U's library to me, while also being portable. I guess I'm in the minority here, but oh well! I just hope they have it all fully backwards compatible at launch and don't bend us over with their usual bullshit low shipping numbers. We shall see...

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The main appeal to me is that it will open up the Wii U's library to me, while also being portable. I guess I'm in the minority here, but oh well! I just hope they have it all fully backwards compatible at launch and don't bend us over with their usual bullshit low shipping numbers. We shall see...

Switch isn't BC with Wii U as it's a whole different architecture. If you mean the re releases then sure.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Captain Toad on the Wii U was an excellent game. I really liked it.

I mean, yeah it was. It was beautiful too. If they made a SMRPG remake with that engine I could die happy.

I hope this thing is around $199. I think a low cost console would be fine. $249 with no game would be really pushing it. Especially since PS4 and XB1 are already close to that.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I think that they market this will determine if it is a success or not. They really need to say that this is either a console or a handled device. To me from everything that I have read it is a handheld device (a 3DS replacement) that can also be broadcasted to a TV and that is something I am not really interested in.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
While I'm thinking of Nintendo, and how fucking stupid they are just consider this - in the last month, they rereleased Nintendo Classic, and shipped so few units, that if you wanted one today you'd have to scour EBAY looking for one priced in the hundreds of dollars. It shipped with a cord 6 inches shorter than my dick (yup, that's right boys). Mario Go or whatever the fuck released last week - to continue to play past the 3rd level it's $10. $10! It's a decent mobile game, but games like P&D, FF, etc shit all over it and are completely free (though I've spent HUNDREDS of dollars on P&D over the years... gg me). They can't even get mobile/microtrans games right, and have had almost a decade to work on a big mobile release.

It's a company run by complete and utter dumb fucks, who still think it's 1992

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nintendo is a bloated cow of a company.

I mean some of their decisions have been so bad that I wonder if some of their executives aren't actually suffering from Down Syndrome and the unfocused, incoherent ramblings in the board room are mistakenly interpreted as new ideas for games and consoles.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users