Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Octopath is $40 today, debating this or tales any suggestions to scratch my Jrpg itch.

While I haven't played Vesperia yet I can say I thought Octopath was good, not great. The combat is a good turned based system and it looks nice for the retro 16 bit style they were going for. There is a subjob system with skills you learn and that you can mix and match for some depth.

The story and the way it's laid out however is pretty repetitive; 8 characters with 4 story chapters each, each chapter maybe an hour in length. That would be fine if literally every chapter(other then one of them) follows the format of: Go to town>talk to some people and get sent to a dungeon nearby>fight boss of dungeon, end of chapter. Some character stories are better than others, with a couple of them just being kind of bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I found Octopath to be pretty disappointing overall and it's a bit of a struggle to finish it and get it back to GameFly so it stops clogging up my queue. Unlike XC2 I never even considered keeping this one.

It's like a really dumbed-down version of Bravely Default. The areas are all tiny, the job and combat systems are greatly simplified, the stories vary a lot in quality, and from what I understand they never really link up in the end. There's a few annoying design choices too, like not being able to swap out your starting character until you complete their story (so at absolute earliest you'll be 75% done with the game) and being able to steal from town NPCs encourages save-scumming ~3% chance rolls and rushing the endgame towns in order to steal high level gear early on.

People say Vesperia is best Tales, but it's still Tales so I'm a little skeptical about whether or not I'll actually like it. Never actually been able to finish any of the other ones before.

• 1Like

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was given this grip and case bundle for christmas. Can't recommend this enough for anyone with bigger hands. Can actually play the switch on the go without the cramps.

Goplay Game Traveler Pack,...

Crone

So I received this yesterday, and while it's early and I haven't really used it to its full extent for any extended period of time, it seems to be high quality. Comes with everything I need, and I think if I dropped my shit violently it would be fine. Has an optional arm strap you can attach if you want to sling it over your shoulder.
Do you think this would hold the switch with a case on it? Or are the foam compartments super tight?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I just started on Octopath a few days ago.. Enjoying it so far, but I tend to like JRPGs.. the last really great one I played was Lost Odyssey so that's going back years.. most i tried since then were fairly average by comparison but there's probably some gems I've overlooked.

Crone

Yeah, I found a site linked on the Switch reddit that has done in depth testing of lots of different chargers and cables for use with the Switch: USB-C Chargers for the Nintendo Switch – Switch Chargers

As usual, Monoprice stuff is the cheapest and rated 'superb' by that site. This one is only $16 plus the cost of a USB-C cable (~$7 for a 6' 2.0 cable, since there's no need for 3.1 if you only use it for charging and not data). Technically you could buy an expensive Apple cable and use it to supply 15v/2.6A to the dock since the Monoprice charge supports it, but I don't see the point in spending that much money when you already have the power brick that comes with the Switch.
Trying to navigate this right now as I don't want to cable manage the Nintendo power brick and hdmi cable every time I travel. So getting a back up set.

Vorph

Trying to navigate this right now as I don't want to cable manage the Nintendo power brick and hdmi cable every time I travel. So getting a back up set.
I bought this one since right after I posted that message I noticed there were coupon codes on that site to knock 33% off the price at Amazon (long since expired now though). And unlike the large majority of power bricks it came with a USB-C cable. The Nintendo brick's cable is annoyingly short and the extra 1.6' means I don't have to move my power strip at all so I've been using it as my main power supply for the dock and I keep the Nintendo in my bag for travel. I haven't had any problems at all with it.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
vesperia is tight, one of the two i actually enjoyed enough to fully finish. I usually don't like the tales gameplay after ~20ish hours. Real good game though!

knowing nintendo they're probably charging the full $80 for an 11 year old game huh? (80 CAD)

Vorph

vesperia is tight, one of the two i actually enjoyed enough to fully finish. I usually don't like the tales gameplay after ~20ish hours. Real good game though!

knowing nintendo they're probably charging the full $80 for an 11 year old game huh? (80 CAD)
Nah, ToV is $50 on all platforms, and actually dropped to $39 on Amazon briefly at the beginning of December.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo also doesn't dictate what other publishers charge for their games, outside of them having the same price digital and physical.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I just started on Octopath a few days ago.. Enjoying it so far, but I tend to like JRPGs.. the last really great one I played was Lost Odyssey so that's going back years.. most i tried since then were fairly average by comparison but there's probably some gems I've overlooked.

I really liked Octopath, but sadly that's not the majority opinion on the game.

Siliconemelons

Octopath, and BD both are like "come! Come play a nice classic RPG. A nice classical fantasy setting, the draw of a mystic and fantastical story with alluring characters! Come experience the story and world while you enjoy classic turn based RPG mechanics- we won't bog your enjoyment down with crazy moden systems, let's focus on the story etc!"

What they delivered was a shell of a story and characters that left you wanting (maybe okay? If they grew the arc organically...but yeah that didn't happen) And a world left wanting to be explored and beautifully shown... and then bash your skull into the curb with "the battle system" and even having "the system" leech into the story more than it should.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really liked it starting out. Was pretty fun the first 10-15 hours or so. Then it was just repetitive with no real overarching story to suck you in. The dungeons are all pretty similar, enemies are similar. Boss fights are the only real fun thing at that point. Ultimately I stopped playing before I even finished chapter 4 for a character

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Are there any better jrpg on switch? Something with both good item/magic systems as well as engaging storylines like lost odyssey, ff7/10 etc would be good.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dragon quest XI comes out sometime this year, Final fantasy 12 in December, not sure what before then though.

• 1Like