Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, pretty much everything is the same. It's a good game. $60 is a bit much for something so close to 1:1, would have gone $40 myself. It looks like how we remember Mario RPG looking and it's been a really fun jaunt. I recommend it if one has money to kill and loves the game.

They did add some new stuff, like some pretty nice cutscenes, triple techs, being able to rotate characters in and out of fights, and 7 new super-bosses that are all superior to Culex.

Also Geno/Bowser/Mallow all got new super weapons that are equivalent to Mario's Lazy Shell or Toadstool's Frying Pan. So everyone now has an "epic" which is nice. Mallow's is kind of weak, but Geno gets a damn laser beam and Bowser's is particularly strong. Unfortunately Bowser's weapon requires defeating probably the most annoying new superboss.

View attachment 501681
Status effects work on a bunch of the new bosses, so I'm using Mute and Sleepy Time for like the first time ever in this game. Poison also does a huge number on a couple of them.
Didnt know they added that stuff, neat. I couldnt believe they kept in that missable frog coin in the castle of the mushroom kingdom. I feel like I remember theres another missable one but I forget where. The waterfall part maybe?

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Didnt know they added that stuff, neat. I couldnt believe they kept in that missable frog coin in the castle of the mushroom kingdom. I feel like I remember theres another missable one but I forget where. The waterfall part maybe?

Frog coins are kinda no longer missable because enemies can drop them. The final area (Weapon World) drops them like crazy. I went from like 45 to 75 going through that place twice for EXP.

Needed EXP endgame because the star leveling tricks no longer work (aka you don't keep your levels when you reload). So the two power stars in Lands End can't level you up repeatedly anymore. I was like six levels lower in the endgame than I usually am on the SNES and had to do some quick grinding in the last area. Well, I didn't HAVE to cause the game is so easy, but I wanted level 30 for the postgame stuff either way.

If the missable coins were in invisible boxes, then those are still missable yeah. The game keeps track of your total invisible boxes (I ended at like... 3/41) so if you miss one you can't have a 100% file. I didn't bother with any of that though. Especially the invisible boxes. No trophies, don't care. Just wanted to see all the new content.

I beat the final super boss, and TBH even the super bosses weren't too hard. The last one seemed a lot worse than he actually was. Boost your speed so his adds don't go first. Boosting speed is also important for the super boss at the top of Booster Tower. That was the other tough one besides the final one.

I actually had more trouble doing 30 Super Jumps to get the Attack Scarf than I did with the final fight that I was getting it for. I kept landing at like 25 or so jumps, was frustrating. Finally I passed 30 and went all the way to 47 on that one go. I'm Old.

• 1Like

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh, thats cool about the frog coins too. I sucked at the super jump even back in the day. I think the only thing in the game I didnt/couldnt do was get to 100

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat the Special World in Mario Wonder, also got all the Seeds in the game. Done with that game now. Technically there's one more level at the end of Special World that I can't access because it requires getting ALL of the collectibles in the entire game. Had no idea that was the case, otherwise I would have made an effort to get the purple coins and flagpoles when I was getting all the Seeds. Not keen on replaying half the game to get the remaining purple coins so it's shelved for now. Anyway PSA, if you want to play all the levels, you have to basically do a 100% completionist run.

Much like the Mario RPG superbosses, the Special World in Mario Wonder seemed a lot harder at first than it actually ended up being.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've been having some bad stick drift in my left JoyCon. I bought a set of Hall effect sensor replacements and they've been great. It took about 20 minutes to install with the included tools. (I did have to look up instructions online.) Would definitely recommend for anyone having similar issues.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Mario Wonder's very last level (after 100%ing the rest of the game) has to be the hardest level in Mario history. Mostly because it's super long and they went stingy on checkpoints. After a couple hours I reached full "I'm too old for this shit" mode and switched to Nabbit for the first time all game just to be able to more quickly get done with all the sections I'd already beaten normally, just not all in a row. Missed the flagpole at the end so the game is like 99.9%'d. Too old for this shit. If anyone else has better luck with it let me know. But I'm guessing most people aren't gonna bother. The rest of the game is pretty solid, at least.

• 1Pathetic

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Mario Wonder's very last level (after 100%ing the rest of the game) has to be the hardest level in Mario history. Mostly because it's super long and they went stingy on checkpoints. After a couple hours I reached full "I'm too old for this shit" mode and switched to Nabbit for the first time all game just to be able to more quickly get done with all the sections I'd already beaten normally, just not all in a row. Missed the flagpole at the end so the game is like 99.9%'d. Too old for this shit. If anyone else has better luck with it let me know. But I'm guessing most people aren't gonna bother. The rest of the game is pretty solid, at least.
Yoshi with player two give you a crown above your head so you can see yourself during the invisible section. Or you can do the emotes to pop up above your head.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yoshi with player two give you a crown above your head so you can see yourself during the invisible section. Or you can do the emotes to pop up above your head.

Yeah, I had to resort to spamming emotes to get through that. Totally mind-boggling that they put that section right after 3 other sections since the last checkpoint. The spring section was also pretty bad, and it had 2 sections before it that had to be repeated every time you fell. Just meh all around. If there were more checkpoints, or if the ones it had were placed a bit better, the level would have been much more fun.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I think there were three check points with three sections a piece for the first two and four for the last. I felt everything was fine to me except for the invisible part. That just felt unnecessary for a challenge. Maybe they did that as some sort of homage with so many speed runners doing blind runs.

I'd put champion's road at a higher level of difficulty to this.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got away from platformers for a really long time but there have been some excellent ones that I really enjoyed. Bloodstained was fantastic and one of my favorite games. Dead cells was cool, Hollow Knight and a few other recent ones I can’t remember right now. They added enough rpg/customization elements that I was able to enjoy them again.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I got away from platformers for a really long time but there have been some excellent ones that I really enjoyed. Bloodstained was fantastic and one of my favorite games. Dead cells was cool, Hollow Knight and a few other recent ones I can’t remember right now. They added enough rpg/customization elements that I was able to enjoy them again.
So I thought Hollow Knight and Bloodstained were more castlevania like. I draw a distinction, albeit flimsily, between Metroidvania and Mario styles. One is fun to me but the other like Mario or old school sonic is not.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Bloodstained is tremendous. It single-handedly got me back into Metroidvania style games. I fell out with them for a while but now they're my 2nd favorite genre behind Soulslikes. If I can find something that combines the two (Salt and Sanctuary for one) it's a magical thing.

Just got Afterimage on sale on PS5. Looks like a Metroidvania where you play as a hot chick. Hopefully it's good. The main character of Bloodstained was ungodly hot, especially with the heels equipped (which also made her skirt shorter for some reason). Playing as an ungodly hot woman isn't a requirement for a game to be good but it does help.

• 1Seriously?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bloodstained is tremendous. It single-handedly got me back into Metroidvania style games. I fell out with them for a while but now they're my 2nd favorite genre behind Soulslikes. If I can find something that combines the two (Salt and Sanctuary for one) it's a magical thing.

Just got Afterimage on sale on PS5. Looks like a Metroidvania where you play as a hot chick. Hopefully it's good. The main character of Bloodstained was ungodly hot, especially with the heels equipped (which also made her skirt shorter for some reason). Playing as an ungodly hot woman isn't a requirement for a game to be good but it does help.
High heels raise the ass a couple inches so the skirt gets shorter by at least double that. It’s simple math and physics.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Siliconemelons

View attachment 501436
LOL, they removed Valentina's boob-jiggle.

1/10 game

totes not cool.. but I just got this game for Christmas as noticed, the style of animation is not like the first, it does not have that segmented bobby style, to me this is a big miss in the recreation of the style, the characters and elements do not move like the original, imo they are more stiff - so removing the boob jiggle is more of a side effect of not keeping that style of movement animations

joz123

Potato del Grande

sept 2024
Brady Bunch K GIF

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Both Digital Trends and Bloomberg's Jason Schreier have now reported receiving statements from Altec Lansing that seem conflictingly to double down on the Fall 2024 date and also claim the date is "guesswork." What's likely happening here is that Altec Lansing was, in fact, making an educated guess on the date of the Switch's release based on internal industry conversations as well as analyst models. Whatever the case, we'll have to wait for Nintendo's official word to find out the real date.