No better shows have ever existed than Seinfeld or X-files.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I agree with OP. TV as a whole, peaked with X-Files and Seinfeld.

Just watch "The Field Where I Died", "Paper Hearts", "Pine Bluff Variant" or "Folie A Deux"

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Both were great shows, neither of them compare to Breaking Bad or Arrested Development. AD had a huge devoted fan base demanding it be put back on the air for 6 damn years before it finally got the green light. That's twice as long add it was even on the air. Breaking Bad has thousands of dedicated fans analyzing every scene more than the Zapruder film.

Seinfeld was the funniest basic tv show of its time, but it was more of a right time right place situation than a transcendent show. Everything was a Friends knockoff and it was just different enough to be interesting.

X-Files was great, too. But when a show you enjoy has its finale and all you can think is "No, shit? I thought it ended years ago" then it can't be the greatest show of all time.

Finally, Grey's Anatomy is a cliched piece of shit that's only slightly better than all the other generic pieces of shit that are the same damn shows with different names. If you're a 4 but you're competing against a bunch of 3s you'll win a lot of awards, but that doesn't make you a good show.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I watched arrested development. that show will never even come close to Seinfeld

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Too many posts already so I haven't read everything. I love X-Files. And I believe it's one of the greatest TV shows ever created. But we're in a new age of television. X-Files is Hall of Fame worthy, but it pales in comparison to what's out there these days. X-Files had a big part in making more risque story lines and themes part of mainstream television. Hats off.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the first five seasons of lost was reality tv? Gtfo you weak troll
LOST was AMAZING for the first 2 seasons. All down hill after season 3.

Plus you're pretty much singlehandedly responsible for dragging down the intellect of this entire sub forum - whether it's demonstrating your lack of knowledge re Game of Thrones or retarded Breaking Bad theories, you're just a joke.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
AD had a huge devoted fan base demanding it be put back on the air for 6 damn years before it finally got the green light. That's twice as long add it was even on the air. Breaking Bad has thousands of dedicated fans analyzing every scene more than the Zapruder film.
You can't take fan base into consideration, at least, not as your primary metric. Remember, millions of people watch Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, TMZ... shit TV is shit TV, no matter how many people tune in.

That said, I agree that both the shows you mentioned are great shows, and I would rank them above Seinfeld (which I personally can't stand) and X-Files (which I watched in its entirety and liked).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I tried watching X-Files again recently since the entire series is available on Netflix. It didn't age well.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
X-Files is a classic for sure. Weak finish unfortunately, but still a classic.

Seinfeld is completely unwatchable for me because of Jerry Seinfeld. Probably the only comedian in the world who can't even get a half ass chuckle out of me. That is one unfunny fucker.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just don't understand people who don't like Seinfeld(the show not the man). The show is flawless.
Agreed.

I never got into X-Files so no comment on that.

The first 4 seasons of Lost are great television. The first 2 seasons of Grey's Anatomy had some of the best writing ever and I really enjoyed it but then stopped watching after the same love triangles repeated themselves for the 300th time.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Prove me wrong because I cannot think of a better show in the history of television.
I stand behind my statement on the Wire, Breaking Bad and Sopranos being up there as my favorite dramas. Seinfeld is my favorite comedy ever. I've watched it every day for the last 15 years. But, I don't see comparing shows in different genres, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You can't take fan base into consideration, at least, not as your primary metric. Remember, millions of people watch Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, TMZ... shit TV is shit TV, no matter how many people tune in.

That said, I agree that both the shows you mentioned are great shows, and I would rank them above Seinfeld (which I personally can't stand) and X-Files (which I watched in its entirety and liked).
I'm not talking about quantity of people, but fan devotion.

Never actually seen Honey Boo Boo, but if it went off the air I don't think anyone would be up in arms. They'd just flip through the channels and find some other shitty reality show and in a year forget it even existed

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Wire is overrated and to be honest the first season was absolute shit and not easy to get into at all. That can't be said for either of these two shows. Especially x-files.
You're trying to compare X-Files, a tv show with many filler episodes (the ones wich have no implications whatsoever on the main plot) with only seasons premieres / finales were pertinent to The Wire, a tv show with no fillers, where everything matters, where most of the arc stories affect each other, where character development through seasons is stellar and production (actors, writing, anything really) is top notch. Hence the "troll" calls. The Wire is often considered the best tv show of all time. Of course a lot of people are gonna say otherwise. American Idol reality shows have great ratings, Grey Anatomy has 30 or so awards, doesn't make them great. The Wire never won anything really, and has poor ratings during its airing.

I'm gonna quote wikipedia to resume what is The Wire :Despite only receiving modest ratings and never winning major television awards, The Wire has been described by many critics and fans as one of the greatest TV dramas of all time. The show is recognized for its realistic portrayal of urban life, its literary ambitions, and its uncommonly deep exploration of sociopolitical themes.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't have any problem calling Seinfield the best TV comedy ever.

Nor do I have any issue considering X Files a classic. For drama it is not on the same level as The Wire, for all the reasons previously stated. Harvard teaches a class on the show. It is not overrated. It is perfectly rated as the best show ever.

Given its airtime acclaim, postmortem popularity and overall originality, I think you have to put Arrested Development right up there with Seinfield in the comedy category though. You can still give Seinfeld the top spot though.

All in all this is just a big troll but decent conversation regardless.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, Ray Donovan is getting a mention, because thus far, it's fucking amazing.
Word? Gonna have to BT that bitch and give it a binge watch one of these weekends. How close is the season to done?

I'm convinced, if you don't like Seinfeld, you are trolling.
Some people just instantly hate someone and can never be won over. My brother is like this with Michael Cera, he wants to fight him whenever he sees his face and it ruins any chance he has of enjoying his movies.

My brother is a fucking idiot.