No Man's Sky

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a bit surprised that Starmade hasn't caught on that well with the people looking for Minecraft-in-Space. It's not a bad little game really.
I haven't heard of Starmade. I think Empyrion is well on its way to being Spacecraft though. Played a bunch of it with my brother like... 3-4 months ago? And it was pretty entertaining. And there's been several big patches since.

It's still super early access but the potential is there and if they keep the pace up will largely be met.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I played Starmade very early on in its development. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, but didn't really get into it.

Cybsled

If you wanna play around with a Minecraft-like game, 7 Days to Die has improved a lot since it came out (although Augers break too fast for my liking and making concrete is an epic pain in the ass now)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
They're being vague because this isn't a game at all. It was a cool idea someone kicked around they labelled it as a game. There's going to be nothing to do in this. At all.
Yeah, I watched the 20 minute walkthrough with the game designer and it had some good ideas (put weapons/items together from stuff found on several different planets, the more you know about a race, the more they'll share with you, etc?) but if you really don't revisit any of the worlds, and if there is no MP in the game whatsoever, I can't see this keeping many people's interests past a few days.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya.. Empyrion was pretty cool. I thought it had the biggest potential. I tried Starmade, but it was just not very intuitive for new players really. The only thing I did not like about Empyrion was the introduction of asteroids with resources. That just completely negates the necessity to expand and go planet hopping in order to keep getting bigger and get more resources. I thought it would be pretty cool to eventually see other players with huge starships and know how much work and effort a large capitol ship like that would take.

I also tried Planet Explorers a long time ago, but am not sure how well it has progressed. I may go fire it up and check out.

I think Etchazz is right though. No Man's Sky looks like it will be fun to 'ooh and ahh' over for maybe a week, but the lack of interaction with players will probably cause a lot to lose interest pretty fast. We'll see. I'll be in Vegas the week it comes out, but I'll definitely play it some when I get back.

p.s. Apparently Empyrion's alpha was just released today as well if you want to take a look at it. (may want to watch a couple lets play on you tube to get up to speed on how to play)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Asteroids don't have very many types of resources though. If you want anything fancy you have to go explore planets. Asteroid's are ok for just bulk common materials though which makes sense.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
The more I find out about NMS (No Man's Sky) the more mind blowing it is to me. The comparison which really got me was one I heard on a youtube video, so apologies if the numbers are incorrect (and if so, let me know). He said that there was an estimate of 7.5 Quintilian grains of sand on the entire planet Earth (all beaches and all deserts combined) and that NMS had 18 Quintilian planets. If that is correct.. I gotta admit, that is one of those 'mind blown' moments. Actually running across a planet already explored by another person would be like winning the lottery.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're aiming towards a full 64-bits worth of planets = 18446744073709551616 planets

I don't buy it and I don't buy that it will be fun

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like it will be fun for a short period of time. That period of time makes the possibility of so many planets almost pointless. We'll see.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's all up to how good their procedural generation is, and how good the actual mechanics of the game are. Minecraft has probably as many (more?) potential worlds itself to generate, but obviously it's a different layout.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm sure it'll be a hit with the exploration crowd but it doesn't sound like it has much for anyone else.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best part of the game will be the shit storm when the majority find out there isn't any kind real multiplayer. I am expecting a huge fucking backlash.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The whole scale thing is really just hand waving magic sales tactics.

They are basically saying that they will have the capacity to randomly generator 64 bits worth of planet IDs. Yea like no shit if you kept saving Minecraft worlds or D3 dungeons you shit out then the number would seem really impressive eventually too.

Not to detract too much from that aspect, after all at this point the only interest I have in it is as a demonstration of procedural generation tech, but it's not like they are actually hosting them live or storing changes. They are storing some sort of universe seed number that can generate 64 bits worth of planet seeds.

I agree with Abe though. When people realize this isn't Minecraft Space Explorer they will be disappointed.

Caliane

yeah, that is just a very strange thing to be "impressed" with. its totally meaningless. just means a larger seed number.

what you need to be asking is, how many biomes, environments, or assets there are.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
yeah, that is just a very strange thing to be "impressed" with. its totally meaningless. just means a larger seed number.

what you need to be asking is, how many biomes, environments, or assets there are.
bvDgEtK.jpg

63eeqc8.jpg

VF1bphv.jpg

MwT6V0i.jpg

UE6eATg.jpg

I don't think Multiplayer is a factor of this at all other than possible very rare encounters of named creatures / areas. EDIT: And the above images with no context would make me think "tech demo" not "game".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wonder what the chances are of finding a really cool planet vs finding all shit planets.

Like what if some dude was stuck in an area and every planet was just a wasteland of shit. He'd say the 'game' was awful.