No Man's Sky

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I assume by "virtual probes" they aren't AI controlled players trying to find issues. Its probably just an automated suite that will inspect on-the-fly planet generation to make sure the landscape is appropriate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I was being snarky - I'm also not sure how many planets will be at launch. Some of their wording is tricky around that stuff.

Tenks

I assume since it says the planets are generated via math functions they only come into existence when your client is exploring. So if each planet is really only represented by a hash and lets the math take over (realistically they could just be a seed value and the hash is generated on the fly as well) the planets can exist or not exist based upon player proximity. If that is the case and lets assume they have an ID that runs into a hashing function they could pretty easily say they're launching with the full suite of planets even if realistically only 2% of them will ever come into existence.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I assume since it says the planets are generated via math functions they only come into existence when your client is exploring. So if each planet is really only represented by a hash and lets the math take over (realistically they could just be a seed value and the hash is generated on the fly as well) the planets can exist or not exist based upon player proximity. If that is the case and lets assume they have an ID that runs into a hashing function they could pretty easily say they're launching with the full suite of planets even if realistically only 2% of them will ever come into existence.
That's what I think is happening based on the previous interview. You enter planet 1.000.000, it registers that you entered that. You encounter items you can name, and those names are tagged to the planet. However, if by chance another player entered planet 1.000.000 at the same time, you probably wouldn't even see them or the changes they made in their world. My guess is that the only things uploaded are planet and creature/item/fauna nametags. Your position, character or teraforming would only be visible to you, and when leaving the planet it resets to Planet Name with nametags.

Hope I am wrong as multiplayer space exploration on that level would be fun, but I doubt this game will feature much, if any, of that at all.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's what I think is happening based on the previous interview. You enter planet 1.000.000, it registers that you entered that. You encounter items you can name, and those names are tagged to the planet. However, if by chance another player entered planet 1.000.000 at the same time, you probably wouldn't even see them or the changes they made in their world. My guess is that the only things uploaded are planet and creature/item/fauna nametags. Your position, character or teraforming would only be visible to you, and when leaving the planet it resets to Planet Name with nametags.

Hope I am wrong as multiplayer space exploration on that level would be fun, but I doubt this game will feature much, if any, of that at all.
I guess it could be smart and only create the planets it needs to - for instance a million people explore a total of a few million unique planets, those are created while the ceiling is still set to 2^64.

Lame still

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The marketing campaign for this game reminds me way too much of past letdown hype. This game isn't even on my radar anymore now.

Their only talking point is how big the world is. I don't care how big the world is when you aren't saying shit about actual gameplay and mechanics. The whole thing reeks of having no real substance.

Tenks

For a small, small $10 pledge you can get in on the groundfloor of a groundbreaking new innovation in the gaming sphere. This is a once in a generation type game to come along. I am pleased to present "Tenks High Number Generator" game! You navigate our masterfully crated UX to find a seemingly inconspicuous button. But this button holds vast secrets. This button can generate you a number from -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to +9,223,372,036,854,775,807. As you must understand it is a loft goal to create numbers this high but even more difficult to test. But with the help of some enthusiastic and skilled coders we created an artisan-crafted test suite enabling us to verify that each and every time we return a number in this range. Truly a breathtaking spectacle to hold. However, at $500,000, we can push this range even further. We can extend the range 1.4 E-45 to 3.402,823,5 E+38. As you understand constructing numbers of this magnitude takes time, money, effort and a collaborative effort. But we aren't even satisfied going that high. We can hire another programmer, one of the best and brightest in the business and he feels with his help (and another $1,000,000) we can go 4.9 E-324 to 1.797,693,134,862,315,7 E+30. Outstanding! Get your PayPal account loaded because "Tenks High Number Generator" starts accepting pledges this weekend!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This game should have stayed a small indie title. Once Sony picked it up and started hyping it, it's heading toward disappointment-land.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
While I'm sure it'll turn out shitty, it's not like the way to fix this game is super challenging. Allow small groups and let people warp to their friends somehow to explore in teams.

That said, I'm not sure if their server code actually handles world updates from multiple clients simultaneously so it might not matter. From what they've said it seems more like you can see some evidence of someone having been somewhere but haven't seen any footage of player contact directly?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Any form of meaningful multiplayer looks real doubtful at this point. They would have shown it off by now.

It's a real shame... it would have been kinda (and forgive me) 'beautiful' to have to progress for dozens of hours alone through the vastness of space, with connection being the ultimate reward. Imagine running across your first player? If friendship or violence were both options?

Such a shame.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No Mans Sky: Vastness and Humanism Inhabit a Video Game - TheHumanist.com

Whenever a player comes across a planet which has yet to be seen by anyone, they will be able to give it a name, and, more intriguingly, possess the planet's coordinates so they can revisit at their leisure. With the online feature, players can upload the coordinates to the Atlas, to be seen by anyone else playing, who can then travel there as well. The name initially chosen for the planet will be on the Atlas permanently, letting individual players make their own mark on the universe...

...As has been mentioned, some of the undiscovered planets contain voluminous flora and fauna. These can also be named, catalogued, and uploaded to the Atlas. A player is rewarded for the furthering of knowledge in the universe, not just for meandering explorations.

The true value of No Man's Sky lies in something both incredibly simple and breathtaking. The point of the game is to discover and share knowledge with the other inhabitants of the universe. It's almost as if the developers took the Enlightenment-era Encyclo?die and turned it into a science fiction video game; a true testament to the best qualities and powers of the Information Age.
Full review at link is worth a read, imo.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmmm... I thought they said you'd rarely, if ever run into other players? If everyone can just get coordinates and go to whatever discovered planet won't you be running into players quite often?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So the game is NamingSim 2016?
That and uploading info to the Atlas seems to be the gist of it. It may intrigue others but my hype for this died out a year ago. I think a year or 2 after release they may as something to introduce co-op fun and tackling things cooperatively and then i may scoop it up. However in its current state and with so much else coming out this year i just dont see the appeal, atleast not to me.