No Man's Sky

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
OpenCritic is reporting that there will be no review copies getting sent out prior to release.

Haha shocker.

I am still on the fence. But I am guessing this thing is $20 within a month.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Glad I did not buy in at $60 and saw what might be over-hype. Games like this are fun for me, but the steep price really had me worried. I hope it turns out to be a great game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
My son wants to get this horribly bad. I will let you guys buy it and tell me how it is. I want this to be good but....eeeehhhh

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Starbound deflated the fuck out of my desire to explore space. I was pretty hyped for this beforehand.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm still looking for it. I know I'm probably not going to have some super intricate gameplay and I'm okay with that. I just really love the aesthetic of the game and exploring is ALWAYS fun to me so I'm definitely gonna check it out.

Still haven't pre-ordered though incase there's some insane game-breaking bugs on launch lol.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So disappointing that ships are cosmetic, no fighters, freighters, lean exploration ships, etc. They can all do everything.

Looks like they've wrapped up the day 1 or some other patch

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Anyone that may have been hyped and is now disappointed just wasn't paying attention. This game will still be great for casual explorers like it was always meant to be for.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone that may have been hyped and is now disappointed just wasn't paying attention. This game will still be great for casual explorers like it was always meant to be for.
No I have been paying attention but center of the universe within 36 hours ...

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So it's basically everything they said it was, without any of the speculation that people had, and now a bunch of people are disappointed? I'll buy this game when it's on a Steam sale, but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger at 60 bucks.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I will admit I have per-ordered it and am still looking forward to it. The 36 hours thing though does really suck though (was really really hoping it would actually take a modicum of effort to do that). I have always been one who likes some single player fun mixed with my regular online gaming, and I think this will be a good 'down time' game to play for a couple hours here and there if you enjoy this kind of game.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I was always more intrigued by the tech and concepts than by the gameplay, that hasn't changed for me.

I will wait for reviews and people's opinion here...but if the game is fun for 30-50 hours solo. I'm totally fine with that.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
That meeting picture screams, "Now that they've bought our generation algorithm we can afford to make content! Let's do that before everyone gets too pissed off."

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am expecting a good 3d version of Starbound. But I never pre-order anything because its dumb as hell.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So it's basically everything they said it was, without any of the speculation that people had, and now a bunch of people are disappointed? I'll buy this game when it's on a Steam sale, but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger at 60 bucks.

Not really. Sean Murray pulled a Molyneux in 2014 and 2015. He was vague, but he still touched on bullet points that in no way or shape are achieveable in the game. He stated you could play with friends, that you would see others, a whole plethora of other things. While he never went in depth, he did say them. Now that it is coming out, he says there is a .01% chance you will ever run into any other named planet from another player, or see anyone else due to the scale of how large the game is. He would have known that in 2014 given the scale was already known by him then at that time. But it didn't stop him from saying those things about multiplayer.

As of now, my educated guess knowing how ridiculous this industry has become, is they couldn't get any of the multiplayer features to work correctly, made up a scapegoat, and decided the work around was to give a .01% chance of a player running into a procgen name of a random planet, and added the chance the player may see an AI bot. You have no way of interacting with said "Player" anyway so the user would be none the wiser. Once Sony figured that out, it was an easy decision for them to say, "Hey you do not need PS Plus for this" as it isn't an online game any longer.

It also isn't helping they embargoed the crap out of it. We all know how that turns out. And even in the streams, I didn't even notice how people are naming ANYTHING at all? Anyone have a video to an example of someone actually naming a planet? Everything I have seen is all predetermined and if that is the case, that names are just pulled from a pool of names? That would be pretty weak it doesn't even have that feature.

If you check out all the information out there, the dude contradicts himself every single video.

A1) "You will be able to play with your friends".
A2) "No. You won't be able to play with your friends"
A3) "Yeah you can, but you won't ever see them because it is statisically impossible".

B1) "No PvP".
B2) "Yes if you come across another player you will be able to shoot them and attack".
B3) "No, we really didn't design this game to be like that. There are plenty of other games for death match multiplayer.

I mean JFC. Which is it for God's sake? The above are all direct quotes from Sean Murray in one video or another, and the dude is all over the board. Now add an embargo. When asked about PS4 frame rate he said, "Yeah we have been working with a small team and it's an incredibly fun game to make".

So to reply to your post, no. No one should be blaming the victim here. The guy has come out over the last 2 years with 16 different answers from Multiplayer to character advancement to whatever the hell, and no one knows what the real answer is, and now they expect people to just blindly buy a game they have no clue what it is even about aside from exploring planets on your own and upgrading a suit and ship.

Last edited:

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Question:

There seems to be some confusion regarding the leak. From what I have read the guy made it to the center of the galaxy he started in, not the universe. There are several galaxies reputedly, so its not like he has finished the "game" if that is correct. Anyone know more about this reasoning?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
A1) "You will be able to play with your friends".
A2) "No. You won't be able to play with your friends"
A3) "Yeah you can, but you won't ever see them because it is statisically impossible".

B1) "No PvP".
B2) "Yes if you come across another player you will be able to shoot them and attack".
B3) "No, we really didn't design this game to be like that. There are plenty of other games for death match multiplayer.

I mean JFC. Which is it for God's sake? The above are all direct quotes from Sean Murray in one video or another, and the dude is all over the board. Now add an embargo. When asked about PS4 frame rate he said, "Yeah we have been working with a small team and it's an incredibly fun game to make".

So to reply to your post, no. No one should be blaming the victim here. The guy has come out over the last 2 years with 16 different answers from Multiplayer to character advancement to whatever the hell, and no one knows what the real answer is, and now they expect people to just blindly buy a game they have no clue what it is even about aside from exploring planets on your own and upgrading a suit and ship.

I read/heard that as the game lacks any tools to organize parties/PVP tbh, not that its actually impossible if you somehow manage to find eachother. I.e. there will be no party tab, no teleport to friend, no chat, no PVP instances. Fuck we dont even know how players look since they will not stand out against other creatures.

Also, this is my interpetation of what information I have bothered to read/watch, its not made very clear from the Devs so I might very well be totaly wrong.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Question:

There seems to be some confusion regarding the leak. From what I have read the guy made it to the center of the galaxy he started in, not the universe. There are several galaxies reputedly, so its not like he has finished the "game" if that is correct. Anyone know more about this reasoning?

Yeah he made it to the actual center but no idea what that does for anyone anyway. He did it using mechanics in the game that were not balanced with regards to money and this "Atlus" thing. My guess is they nerfed the Atlus or price of resell value. The guy kept finding them, selling them for massive amounts of money, then buying the resources needed for getting to the center.

There are some jackhole reddit people all trying to confuse the community even more by creating conspiracy theories to offset what was broken balancing that should have had the foresight of being exploited in QA very rapidly.

This whole entire game/marketing approach seems like one gigantic experiment in confusing the gamers and see if they still buy a product.