No Man's Sky

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why wont this goof answer the damn question about multiplayer? Can I see other players flying through space, or not? Can I interact with those players in real time (chat, combat, trade, etc), or not?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Something like that but basically no because you'll never find other people. It's not like Minecraft where you spawn at 0,0,0.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I'll believe that shit when I see it. This guy underestimates the power of poopsock.

With poopsock, I can cross infinity.
You underestimate the size of the game
wink.png

All players begin their quest at the universe's edge, each on their own planet dotted somewhere along the perimeter. By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky... No Man?s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it?s unlikely that you?ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero. (If you do find a planet once touched by another player, apparently you'll know, though Murray wouldn't offer details.)

"So 99.9 percent of these star systems will never be visited," says Murray. "That's either quite beautiful or seriously depressing."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how.../1100-6435316/

Also, as I understand it, there aren't any game servers, so there's no global way to store any changes you make to the worlds, nor any client-server architecture to support traditional multiplayer. I suspect that once you leave a world, all changes will be lost - I'm sure he's said he's against the idea of base building, he wants people to move and explore - and that while you can meet other players, the numbers will be limited by the speed of your mutual connection, like in Elite.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Everything that you see is being generated. So uh, it's being generated around you live. Now that I have flown away from that planet, everything that we just saw is thrown away. If I fly back down, everything will be re-generated. All those creatures. All the terrain. Trees, grass, everything."-Sean Murray, Founder of Hello Games

There is no world. It is being made and re-made on the fly. It is an illusion of size and scope, when really it is all just being randomly created on an infinite basis.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody was there to hear it... there is no forest.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea that's what I don't get about the "deep meaning" bullshit about the quintillions of planets. They don't exist until someone visits so who cares.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As soon as you tell a ton of poopsockers they can't do something, those players always find a way.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The fact remains that there will be a single star, or cluster of stars, at the centre of the Galaxy. All players are passively driven to this place. Along the way, chances of meeting each other rise exponentially. There will likely be tens of thousands of players who make it to the galactic core eventually - so the nature of multiplayer is a very legitimate question.

I don't understand why he won't clarify it... Unless it's totally fucking lame and he doesn't wanna impact sales.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After watching that video a second time I am now convinced there is no MP at fucking all except for the naming of shit. There is not one fucking reason not to just say "yes you can play together if you can find each other". He instead bounces around the question with warnings of the game isn't about that.

I simply don't think the tech is there to be generating everything for everyone in sync. Also I can't imagine how much data it would take or if it is even possible to save all the changes millions of players are making. The game is single player spacecraft with naming rights.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Something like that but basically no because you'll never find other people. It's not like Minecraft where you spawn at 0,0,0.
Exactly why i have no interest in this game anymore, im sure there are a bunch interested in just exploring and such but i'll be damned if i end up doing it. If you could do it with a friend or 2 and have some grand adventures id be all over this but im just going to have to pass.

Szlia

The fact remains that there will be a single star, or cluster of stars, at the centre of the Galaxy. All players are passively driven to this place. Along the way, chances of meeting each other rise exponentially. There will likely be tens of thousands of players who make it to the galactic core eventually - so the nature of multiplayer is a very legitimate question.

I don't understand why he won't clarify it... Unless it's totally fucking lame and he doesn't wanna impact sales.
Considering the algorithmic nature of the world generation it could very well take 100 years of play time to reach the center of the Galaxy.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Considering the algorithmic nature of the world generation it could very well take 100 years of play time to reach the center of the Galaxy.
It's equally reliant on the scaling of max travel distance. We'll see.

khalid

Unelected Mod
This is really the only explanation for it. If it was even remotely decent, they would be talking it up.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So basically, they made an entire galaxy where there could be meaningful MP with space pirates and points of interest and resources for thousands of people to interact in and fight over, or an equally infinite number of places where people who don't want to interact with other people could do their own thing, but instead there is no interaction whatsoever?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So basically, they made an entire galaxy where there could be meaningful MP with space pirates and points of interest and resources for thousands of people to interact in and fight over, or an equally infinite number of places where people who don't want to interact with other people could do their own thing, but instead there is no interaction whatsoever?
I bet the naming of the planets/creatures/etc doesn't even happen in real time. I bet it updates once a night or some shit like that.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I bet the naming of the planets/creatures/etc doesn't even happen in real time. I bet it updates once a night or some shit like that.
Doesn't even really matter if the chances of anyone else ever finding someone else's planet is one in a million...

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hrm. I'm still interested in the single player, but that guy is being pretty evasive about persistence and multiplayer, put lightly.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
After watching that video a second time I am now convinced there is no MP at fucking all except for the naming of shit. There is not one fucking reason not to just say "yes you can play together if you can find each other". He instead bounces around the question with warnings of the game isn't about that.

I simply don't think the tech is there to be generating everything for everyone in sync. Also I can't imagine how much data it would take or if it is even possible to save all the changes millions of players are making. The game is single player spacecraft with naming rights.
It could be done if you stored any visited worlds on servers so that player-made changes would persist, although I think you'd have to limit what players could build to certain structures. This isn't that game though. Wasn't this written by four people to start off with? I can understand why they limited it to exploration.