No Man's Sky

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can't tell if Utnayan doesn't realize that alcohol is a drug.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the "fun" is figuring out how to bypass the profanity/offensive word filter?

Still going to rent this for PS4 just to see if it's a trainwreck of Spore proportions like I'm expecting, but I can't even begin to understand what it is people see in this based on what they've shown of it so far.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I think a lot of the hype is coming fom the console crowd. Not hatin' - I play a lot of ps4 myself - but I'm not sure people who don't play PC games have as much exposure to procedural generation and how its promise of infinite worlds doesn't really mean what they might expect it to mean.

Maybe not, though. The devs' serial evasion of questions pertaining to rather important elements of gameplay should be raising all sorts of red flags.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They should just market it like that.

"this game is awesome if you smoke crack cocaine and drink malt liquor at the same time"

To a_skeleton_03 point it could be fun if my kid was old enough. Until I came across planet Cumming Dicks

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
"Until I came across planet Cumming Dicks" seems a little on the nose, ya know?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how easy it would be to get"Shitting Dick Nipples"around whatever filter they use

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Honestly, if they have a decent faction system that spans the galaxy with those space wars, I could see myself getting very excited about this.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, if they have a decent faction system that spans the galaxy with those space wars, I could see myself getting very excited about this.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is single player right? Like they admitted that multiplayer isn't possible?

Edit: On the other hand, you didn't say player factions, but the trailer didn't do anything to really assuage my concerns that the game will largely be a large palate of color variants repeated millions of times.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It all sounds fine till i remember it will be near impossible to meet up with friends - if ppl find a way around that then i'll check it out.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Some company is now claiming they have a patent on the formula used by NMS to create it's terrain.

In 2003, a Belgian plant geneticist named Johan Gielis published an equation that can describe a large number of natural forms, such as starfish, spiderwebs, snowflakes and even crystals. He called this equation the superformula. In short, the superformula can be used to describe many complex shapes and curves that are found in nature.

Fast forward to 2016, and a Dutch research company founded by Gielis has claimed Hello Games and No Man's Sky uses this Superformula - and it wants to talk.... Telegraaf quotes Jeroen Sparrow, of Genicap, as saying the company did not consent to the use of the formula for No Man's Sky. This formula needs to be licensed, Sparrow said, because it's protected by a patent.
Why No Man's Sky fans are worried about a patented Superformula Eurogamer.net