No Man's Sky

I get what you are saying. On the other hand, I see this as a single player experience so (just like with Elite) I will follow some forums, sit in chat party with some other friends who are going to play it and enjoy the ride. Not all games have to be MMOs or co-op to be enjoyable for what they are.

If they add on more multiplayer support later, maybe like teleport to your friends, it would be pretty niffty certainly but for a small indie developer with a small number of devs working on the project... In my opinion its better that they get the game out first, then start tinkering with additional features.

Look at the similar games;

Elite released as a very very barebones space-sim that they have slowly been adding stuff to. Now you can land on airless planets/moons and drive around with your little rover, and they are planning for atmospheric planets and walking around. It still does not have much in the way of content unless you like trucking trade items between systems, explore stuff just to explore and get credit for being the first to discover new things, and simple combat missions/areas if you want to pew pew, but they have a rather stable foundation to build more content on if they can manage.

Star Citizen aims to release everything at once so we are stuck with a "pre-alpha" where you can try out some of the systems that will be in the full game but currently it is hardly stable and very limited. They also have a game in the game, module, for furrball fighting with your ship. It has taken them 5 years aprox to get to that stage and it will likely take them quite a bit more to get everything they have stated will be in the game ready for release.

For myself, I belive its better to go with a solid foundation that people can play and go from there.

(Sorry for the wall of text...)

I get that and I agree. I am just not a big exploration game sort of person. If the game has a really good story to go along with that exploration (Skyrim is the easiest example I can think of), than I am all in. I am still not sure if this one is going to offer a rich experience like that or if the story driven content will be few and far between. If it is less about that story and more about survival/exploration, its not for me in solo mode. Plus, not sure if this is still true, but I watched a live play and one of the devs mentioned that just leaving a planet resets the stuff you did on it. I was not a fan of that because it completely disconnected me from the world.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It really doesn't look much anything like Subnautica to me in any real way. The crafting is a fraction of what Subnautica has. Subnautica is about exploring the local area and collecting materials to build a nice underwater base and equipment and stuff. The crafting is much deeper and the exploration is more limited, there is no trading, no factions in Subnautica. The crafting is shallower, the exploration more open with more to explore, there is trading and factions in No Man's Sky.

I dunno. I don't get the comparison. But maybe I'm just way wrong. I've played Subnautica and watched the leaked footage the other day, and I just kinda feel the comparison is stretching it a bit.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
It really doesn't look much anything like Subnautica to me in any real way. The crafting is a fraction of what Subnautica has. Subnautica is about exploring the local area and collecting materials to build a nice underwater base and equipment and stuff. The crafting is much deeper and the exploration is more limited, there is no trading, no factions in Subnautica. The crafting is shallower, the exploration more open with more to explore, there is trading and factions in No Man's Sky.

I dunno. I don't get the comparison. But maybe I'm just way wrong. I've played Subnautica and watched the leaked footage the other day, and I just kinda feel the comparison is stretching it a bit.

You are correct, but in overall style I find it a lot like Subnautica. How deep the crafting etc goes I have no clue about yet, will have to see when I get my hands on the game.

Since you cant really craft anything beyond tech for your suit, ship and weapon (as far as I know), it will certainly be limited to those items, but since there seems to be alot of diffrent ships and styles from diffrent factions it could potentially be quite a deep level to diffrent sub-systems. Ofc in Subnautica you also build bases and stuff, it is way wider in just the amount of stuff you can create.

I think its important to not go overboard with hype for this game like it seems the tards on Reddit have done. Its a fucking indie game made by like 12 people, not a 350+ people studio with 5 years of EA backing like ME. Have to be realistic in ones expectations. Some posts on Reddit seem to think this will be the game they play non-stop for years to come and that it will be the answer to all their dreams.....scary stuff.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I preorderd it yesterday. My daughter as been playing Overwatch on PS4 with her friends.(She is pretty good at console FPS now.) She is a big Star Wars fan. I do think they would probably enjoy playing this together....

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This game is doomed to disappoint. There is no way it will live up to the expectation people have.

It looks like it could be fun for a few hours, but I honestly see nothing compelling about it.

The thing that I always found intriguing about this game is the tech, and general concepts...but the gameplay itself always seemed extremely boring to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure if you rushed to just the center you could do that, I haven't watched any of the video/streams yet(fighting urge to watch hah)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am holding out hope, but I was always concerned about the size of the game. It does seem like Valderen has the right vision and same as me: It's going to be fun for a few hours, but theres going to be nothing compelling to keep you in. If anything, we can hope a concept like this gets used more often, in a way that actually has some really engaging gameplay.

I've always been a exploration junkie, though, so maybe I'll really dig it.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Yeah I like exploring, so we will see how it plays out. Hell even if you can "finish it" in 30 hours it still has a lot of fullprice games beaten in the way of gametime these days lol.

Again, 12-man or so Indie developer with a cool concept. I dont get where the fuck half Reddits dreams about this game and content comes from....

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Game looks like the love child of single player Elite and single player DayZ (walking simulator) with the Care Bear jizz color pallette. No idea why people are preordering this thing.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I like exploring, so we will see how it plays out. Hell even if you can "finish it" in 30 hours it still has a lot of fullprice games beaten in the way of gametime these days lol.

Again, 12-man or so Indie developer with a cool concept. I dont get where the fuck half Reddits dreams about this game and content comes from....

From the information that had been released over the course of the last 2 years, and then a complete media blackout where nothing is being answered any longer because of "Spoilers". Basically, Sean Murray pulled a Molyneux. I would be surprised if there even is ANY type of online component. It would be very easy to generate random names to make it seem like someone else had been there, or add an AI Bot to give the impression there is someone else playing and you are seeing them. The dude shot himself in the ass when he stated you could play with friends in 2014 and then nothing was said about it ever again.

Sounds like the customization and leveling system is also very rudimentary and basic. This sounds like it should be set at Indie level pricing - $19-$29. The price I am sure has to do with the bitching as well.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
But I mean, even in 2014 they stated that sure it was possible to meet other players, but its not an MMO and its not a core part of the game:

No Man's Sky - Player Interaction Not a Core Component, Will Feature a Dedicated Multiplayer Experience - MP1st
No Man’s Sky will have a “traditional” multiplayer component as well
Stop Thinking Of No Man’s Sky As A Multiplayer Game
No Man's Sky Will Have "Traditional" Multiplayer, But Probably Not at Launch

Of course, I havent been following the game day to day or even month to month, just picking up more and more info from this year since it was going to get released, so maybe they stated something else along the long road to launch?

From my (limited) research they have an intention and some sort of plan to get it more co-op friendly down the line, but not at launch.

What you say about "simulating" an online world is fair enough, with the limitations that seem to be in place it would be hard to find out just by playing and we dont even know how the player race looks. I dont see the point of lying to your audience in that way, but if there is something being a gamer teaches you its that there is a LOT of slime in the industry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
OpenCritic is reporting that there will be no review copies getting sent out prior to release.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I preordered this. My expectations are pretty low. It looks to offer more than Elite dangerous does.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This was the game I was super hyped for a year or so ago and now will not buy (even if I was anywhere near a PC that could play it!). Reading that reddit post was even more support to that decision. Shit, even ships are purely cosmetic and have no differentiation between them?

One day I'll get a game like this with actual depth and content!

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah any air I had left in my balloon for this game was completely let out when I saw that review copies are "slow" to come to the reviewers. I was cool with the whole procedurally generated nature of it as long as they nailed down a decent itemization system along with it. There is just no way to make completely hand crafted content for something this huge, and I knew that right away. However, I do feel Hello Games went all Jay Wilson and Quintupled it, just because. Which in the end, will ultimately hurt the game.